Favourite Olympic Games moments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite Olympic Games moments

Memorable Olympic moments since 1976: Both good and bad (theroar.com.au)

What are your favourite OG moments

Two days from the Sydney 2000 Games for me, for both of which "I Was There"

Rowing on Saturday September 23
    It started with a fantastic women's single sculls final, with Ekaterina Karsten (BLR) and Rumyana Neykona (BUL) crossing the line together after 2000m of hard work. The scoreboard instanly flashed up Karsten as winner by 0.01s, but it took about 15-20 minutes before that margin was eventually confirned.
    It ended with Steve Redgrave claiming his record 5th Olympic gold medal in the men's coxless four alongside Matthew Pinsent, James Cracknell & Tim Foster by 0.38s from the fast closing Italians

Athletics on Monday September 25
    Nine finals, with the highlights being
    One of the best 10000m races of all-time with the result in doubt until the last 10m when Haile Gebrselassie (ETH) got the better of Paul Tergat (KEN)
    Womens 800m with a bronze for Kelly Holmes behind her friend and training companion Maria Mutola (MOZ)
    Mens 110m Hurdles - Colin Jackson again was unable to add an Olympic gold medal to his magnificen collection
    Womens Pole Vault , on its Olympic debut saw a spellbinding competition with Australian media darling Tatiana Gregorieva just unable to give the host nation a gold medal coming second to Stacey Dragila (USA)
    Womens 5000m. Sitting next to a group of Irish fans who asked us British fans to support Sonia O'Sullivan, we replied but we've got Jo Pavey in this too! Pavey ran PBs in the SF and Final, but was never a factor for the medals and in the end O'Sullivan's Irish record run wasn't quite enough to outlast Gabriella Szabo (ROM) who won the final.
    Men's Triple Jump. My memory may be playing slight tricks here but this was how I remembered the conclusion. Jonathan Edwards was in the lead with what was to prove an unassailable 17.71 and as the jumpers throughout the last round all failed to beat that, the excitement among the Brits grew and grew. As Dennis Kapustin was short on his last effort, the Brits went mad. With no action on the track the Aussies around looked at us with wonderment as to what we were going loopy about, then the stadium announcer said something like with that jump, Jonathan Edwards of Great Britain is guaranteed the gold medal. Then the Aussies understood why were jumping and screaming!
    Womens 400m. Everyone knows the story here. Cathy Freeman in her silver and green catsuit. No Marie-Jose Perec. Katherine Merry and Donna Fraser both running PBs in the biggest race of their lives. And the noise. What a noise. Never heard a noise like it. And then Freeman on her lap of honour with both the Australian national flag and the Aboriginal flag.
    It takes quite an evening of athletics for me to completely forget Michael Johnson winning the 400m, but I literally cannot recall it. Similarly the Men's Discus (sorry Virgilijus Alekna)

Comment

yes, the 2000 games were great.

Comment

Aside from the obvious ones like Freeman and Redgrave three stand out for me. One athletics and two cycling.

Backley taking the lead in round 2 in Sydney with, what I think was an OR of 89.85. I was dreaming for a few tantalising moments until Zelezny proved why he’s the GOAT with 90.17 in round 3.

In Barcelona Chris Boardman’s gold came as a total bolt from the blue for most Brits and we’ve scarcely looked back since. At the time though cycling was something people from the continent did. Just watched the rerun of his final and the bike his opponent was riding was extraordinary.

And then this. I love the team pursuit and it doesn’t get any better than downing the Aussies (sorry) in front of a home crowd with a WR.

Comment

Working...
        X