No announcement yet.

Athletes who have fallen off the radar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I noticed on Flannery’s social media that he describes himself as a former hurdler

Comment

I was wondering what happened to Harriet Knowles-Jones of Warrington AC? 4:13 1500m as an U20 in 2017, last entry on Po10 Feb. 2018. A very promising runner, hope she isn't another Bobby Clay scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by ibarnett01 View Post
        I was wondering what happened to Harriet Knowles-Jones of Warrington AC? 4:13 1500m as an U20 in 2017, last entry on Po10 Feb. 2018. A very promising runner, hope she isn't another Bobby Clay scenario.
        she had glandular fever last year https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk...andular-fever/

Comment

Originally posted by Afrothletics View Post
          What's happened to the Hylton sister also? Are they both injured? Hardly raced at all this past year.

I was hoping to see them at the British champs/trials, but nope.

Comment

• Runner88
            Runner88 commented
            Editing a comment
            Cheriece seemed to sugger an injury just before the outdoor season started and so has been MIA. Shannon also seemed to get injured very early into the season. A shame for both but they both seemed to be on rehab and targetting next year.

• franknotes
            franknotes commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting, thanks Runner.

[QUOTE=Afrothletics;n995]Thought I'd make a thread about promising athletes who seemed to be showing real potential but have hardly been seen or heard over the least few seasons. Maybe some of us on here can provide reasons for their asbences?

Seren Bundy-Davies (400m) - Showed massive potential but hasn't broken 54 seconds since crashing out of the Olympic heats.

As noted another thread Ms. Bundy-Davies has run three 800s this august just gone... to what end only time will tell but i wish her much luck ...

Comment

Good thread. Seems sad so many young athletes bowing out or injured into early retirement. Is this high numbers compared with other nations?

Comment

My gut feeling is no - we just know more about people, so it feels that way.
              Last edited by jjimbojames; 05-08-21, 21:19.

Comment

• trickstat
                trickstat commented
                Editing a comment
                That is true. There have even been athletes from other countries who have reached major finals and then 'gone off the radar', whose absence I hadn't really noticed until someone has mentioned them or I've seen their return and thought "that's someone I'd forgotten about".

• SprintRelayFan
                SprintRelayFan commented
                Editing a comment
                Kimberlyn Duncan - 6th in London 2017 and never seen again!

• Occasional Hope
                Occasional Hope commented
                Editing a comment
                She appears to have still been running in the US in 2020 indoors, but her form fell off a cliff after that 2017 season for whatever reason: https://www.worldathletics.org/athle...uncan-14309365

Agreed - I don't think it is unusual, and in fact I think recently (because it wasn't always the case) we have got a little better at keeping people in the sport then before.

Comment

Wow, I made this thread about 2 years ago and completely forgot about it after I left the forum for a while. Sad to see pretty much all the names in the OP never seemed to show up again.

Comment

Of those on that list I’m most intrigued about David Omoregie. Huge talent but has been very quiet for a number of years. His sister is a promising shot putter but has been quiet in 2021 as well.

To think at the last Olympics we were seeing Seren Bundy Davies get a medal in the relay and then haven’t seen her on a team since. Hope she is able to rediscover some form one day even if it is in the 800m. Still only around 26/27 years old.

Comment

That said Vicky Ohuruogu won the England champs this year with a low 52 PB. She is coached by her sister and Ashleigh N is in Tokyo in the relay squad and Sam T is competing again.

Comment

A number of those in the initial post have retired through age etc but the likes of Shona Richards are a loss - second to Shamier Little at WJ. She started to come back but out again and nothing this year or last. Not really sure the move to Jon Bigg worked - she might have been better served going to the US for a fresh start

Comment

Is Anita hrinksdottir stilk running? Can’t find any reference to international competition since 2019

Comment

• trickstat
                          trickstat commented
                          Editing a comment
                          She ran a 2:05.18 800 in Geneva in June which is modest by her standards. She is still only 25.

• SprintRelayFan
                          SprintRelayFan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ah thank you. Yes I knew she must be young as it was the comment about asha as world youth champ that made me think of her!

Really hoping Danny Talbot can get fit next season. Was such a bad time for him to get injured, just missed out on 2017 WC final, jogged to 20.16 in qualifying.. he was on the verge of 19.9/8x

I read this, which at least shows he's not gone entriely: Tokyo Olympics 'too soon' for sprinter Danny Talbot after injury lay-off | The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald

Comment

• jjimbojames
                          jjimbojames commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I’d like to see him over 400m….

• JamieSLA
                          JamieSLA commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ditto! Has the WVN sort of build as well.

Such a talented athlete I think a lot of people forget about, especially when we talk future relays etc..
                      Working...
                      X