No announcement yet.

Athletes who have fallen off the radar?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athletes who have fallen off the radar?

Thought I'd make a thread about promising athletes who seemed to be showing real potential but have hardly been seen or heard over the least few seasons. Maybe some of us on here can provide reasons for their asbences?

I'll focus on some GB ones but feel free to mention any international ones too.

Shona Richards (400mH) - Broke PSD's junior record to win silver at the 2014 World Juniors behind Shamier Little, but since running a 56.05 PB in her first senior year she's rarely been seen competing.

Lucy Hatton (100mH) - Won silver at the 2015 European Indoors in 7.93, broke the 13 second barrier in that same season, but only finished four races in 2017 and hasn't competed since.

Serita Solomon (100mH) - Similar to Hatton, won bronze at the 2015 Euro Indoors in 7.95, broke 13 seconds multiple times in the same season but has hardly been heard of since making the World Indoors final in 2016.

Sam Talbot (Decathlon) - Promising young multi-eventer who has barely competed since crashing out of the European Juniors two years ago.

Maya Bruney (200m) - Hasn't lived up to her potential as of yet after her big breakthrough as a junior in 2017.

Seren Bundy-Davies (400m) - Showed massive potential but hasn't broken 54 seconds since crashing out of the Olympic heats.

David Omoergie (110mH) - Probably the most promising GB junior we had in a long time, breaking WJRs as an U20 but seemed to struggle to breaking 14 seconds last year and hasn't made a senior British team since the 2015 Euro Indoors.

Victoria Ohuruogu (400m) - Was showing the promise of her sister as an U23 but seems to hardly race anymore?

Lawrence Clarke (110mH) - Hasn't competed since 2016. Has he retired? (he's only 28 - would've been 25 in 2016 so would seem strange to quit the sport so early if the case) Looking on his twitter he seems to work in finance now.

Will Sharman (110mH) - Another hurdler who used to be one of GB's best but now rarely races and struggles to break 14 seconds

Bobby Clay (1500m) - Hasn't competed since 2016, sadly have to assume her athletics career is over with after her osteoporosis diagnosis?

Ashleigh Nelson (100m) - Always seems to pop up each season and run a quick time and then mysteriously disappears with injury

I'm sure there's more I had in my head but these are some interesting starting points I suppose!
    Last edited by Afrothletics; 09-03-19, 21:29.

Shona Richards has hardly competed, has run a few slow 400s indoors this season

serita and lucy - hardly ran last year, i think lucy was injured and is working on a comeback, seritas instagram seems to indicate that she has retired

Sam Talbot seems to have missed last year with injury but has run a few 60 hurdles and 200s indoors this season

Maya Bruney is still an under 23 athlete but didnt have a great season last year, ran a few indoor races this year

Seren Bundy-Davies came back from injury last year so hopefully this year she can get back to somme sort of form

David Omoergie - i think he was injured lasst year?

Victoria Ohuruogu was never as good as her sister and not good enough to make teams but is still competing

Lawrence Clarke seems to have retired - https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/1...hurdles-final/

will sharman is 34, its fair to say that instead of disappearing hes probably reached the end of his career,

bobby clay now competes in track cycling but still seems to want to return to athletics at some point according to her insta

ashleigh nelson is still on the fringes of the british team but has been eclipsed by das, henry, neita, lansiquot and awuah who are all about 5 years younger (at least) along with philips, and bianca williams

Comment

• MysteryBrick
      MysteryBrick commented
      Editing a comment
      Lawrence Clarke has indeed retired - after Rio, when it was reasonably clear that he wasn't going to better his 4th at the Olympics in London, he decided to call it day. Made the most out of what he had, so fair play to him.

Shona Richards has had all sorts of injuries but is still trying her best to get back to full fitness.

Maya Bruney had a serious injury in the early part of last year in Geneva - she actually won BUCS with a 400m PB before then, and should be back up to speed now, one would hope.

Sam Talbot had a head-on car crash in late 2017 which took him out for the whole year. Back to fitness now and running some decent hurdles times.

• RunUnlimited
      RunUnlimited commented
      Editing a comment
      Further on Maya Bruney... I watched her races last year thanks to Vinco, and saw that 400m pb run which I think was at Bedford. And I distinctly remember at the time telling folks on the old AW forums to look out for Bruney in the 400m. Then I saw her run in Geneva, also via Vinco's live stream coverage, and she came dead last and didn't run again the rest of the season.

She is one of our most promising young athletes (along with Amber Anning) at the 400m, and I hope she's back to full fitness this season.

Charlotte McLennaghan is another one that disappeared - almost broke 23 seconds as a junior but hasn't competed since 2016 bar one indoor race in Feb 2018

Comment

• trickstat
      trickstat commented
      Editing a comment
      I remember seeing her win the English Schools when she was 14 and thinking that in build and style etc she reminded me more of Kathy Smallwood/Cook than any other British girl. This included other tall precocious girl sprinters like Sarah Wilhelmy and Joey Duck.

• RunUnlimited
      RunUnlimited commented
      Editing a comment
      McLennaghan has been plagued by injuries for the last couple of years. I'm glad to see that she is back running again this year. Like Trackstat I remember seeing her running, though this was at the Bauhaus Junior Gala meeting at Mannheim back in 2015. And yeah, I can see what you meant about her running form then.

Hopefully see is over her injury problems and will be getting back into some of her old form.

Great thread, providing some real food for thought. The other name that occurs to me is Joel Fearon. I know he does winter sports, but sub-10 ability shouldn't be neglected.

Comment

Always a "fun" subject to look into whenever it's brought up - in a morbid kind of way at least.

I'll add a few more athletes to the list:

Ben Williams - TJ. Former World Youth Champion and Commonwealth Youth Games silver medalist all the way back in 2009 and 2008 respectively, Williams' career has been dogged by persistant foot, leg and knee injuries which have held him back from his potential. He was looked at as the next generation of male triple jumpers to take over from Philips Idowu when he retired. Instead, because of his injury mis-fortune, GB have had to rely upon the positively ancient Nathan Douglas and the always sub-par Julian Reid (also old), with perennial disappointment Nathan Fox as well, to try and compete on the world stage with.

It shows how bad things have been for male triple jump in this country that the last time we had someone jump over 17m, was alll the way back in 2012, when Idowu was still competing, when he jumped out to 17.31m in a competition before his ill-fated Olympic Games a few months later.

Sabrina Bakare - 400m. Remember her? World Youth Champion at aged 17 with a 52.77, the fastest 400m run by a UK teenager since the days of Lindsay Macdonald in the early 80's at the time. However, ever since then Bakare has not blossomed into the athlete people thought she might become, in particular when you consider a few weeks later, Christine Ohurugho would win her 2nd senior World title in the 400m. Bakare has failed to break 54 seconds since 2014 and now 23, the prospects aren't looking great for her to develop further.

Catherine Reid - 400m. Same as Bakare above in many ways. In the World Youth Championships in Cali 2015, she actually ran *faster* than Bakare did as a 17 year old, but finished with a well deserved bronze medal. However, much like Bakare, even since those championships, Reid has struggled mightily to even match that type of performance, let alone advancing beyond it. Struggling to break 54 seconds while competing and studying in the US collegiate circuit, Reid hasn't officially competed athletically since 2017.

Comment

Another one of the Ben Williams vintage was high-hurdler Jack Meredith. He just seemed to disappear.

Comment

• RunUnlimited
          RunUnlimited commented
          Editing a comment
          I was tempted to mention Jack Meredith myself. Yep, he completely disappeared off the athletics map after 2013, aged just 22. Last I saw of him was either an Instagram or Twitter post from him back in 2016 or so.

I'm pretty sure someone on the old version of this site in a similar discussion mentioned that Meredith, for all his skill and technique at the junior level, was just not physically suited for the senior hurdles and never adapted to the higher barriers.

• trickstat
          trickstat commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes I think was probably what happened with him. He was just a little too small to be competitive over the full-size hurdles. I suppose there was little appeal for him to switch to something else and become, for example, just another 10.5 or so sprinter.

Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post
        Catherine Reid - 400m. Same as Bakare above in many ways. In the World Youth Championships in Cali 2015, she actually ran *faster* than Bakare did as a 17 year old, but finished with a well deserved bronze medal. However, much like Bakare, even since those championships, Reid has struggled mightily to even match that type of performance, let alone advancing beyond it. Struggling to break 54 seconds while competing and studying in the US collegiate circuit, Reid hasn't officially competed athletically since 2017.
        More about Catherine Reid's troubles and recent knee surgery that she paid for with crowdfunding - https://www.athleticsweekly.com/news...ys-off-102742/

Comment

• RunUnlimited
          RunUnlimited commented
          Editing a comment
          Ahh, I thought it was Shona Richards who did the whole crowdfunding effort to help with an injury, but it was her teammate Reid instead.

Her's hoping that the op was a complete success and that she will be back on the track fit and healthy again this season.

• MysteryBrick
          MysteryBrick commented
          Editing a comment
          Hopefully her brother Joe's success will provide extra inspiration!

https://coobreid322.wixsite.com/mysi.../22/The-Launch

Sounds like recovery is going well.
          Last edited by MysteryBrick; 11-03-19, 16:14.

Romell Glave - Seems to have disappeared after going to the Jamaican trials last year.

Comment

• Johannes Factotum
          Johannes Factotum commented
          Editing a comment
          Got injured in the final. He's still training so he'll be back.

How about Adam Cotton - 2011 European Junior 1500m champion. He's been at Harvard and New Mexico universities and last ran in a couple of indoor races in 2011. He had some decentish runs in the States but never matched the 1:48/3:41 he ran as an Under 20.

Comment

Speaking of Romell Glave in terms of allegiance switchers, what happened to Miguel Francis? He transferred to GB but then DNS in the British champs final last year and only seems to run in Jamaica, but even then it's very rare to see him compete in a race.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
            MysteryBrick commented
            Editing a comment
            Got the UK lead at 20.42 a couple of weeks ago.

• RunUnlimited
            RunUnlimited commented
            Editing a comment
            The enduring enigma that is Miguel Francis....

Curtis Griffith Parker who threw 17.50/57m at 19, and vanished. He had a Reece Hoffa build and you wonder if he'd persevered with the right support how he might have developed.

Comment

• RunUnlimited
            RunUnlimited commented
            Editing a comment
            It's worse than that, Griffith-Parker as a 19 year old back in 2009, set the current UK U-20 record with 19.30m in the shot put, and in the discus threw the junior implement over 61m. That same year, he went to the Euro U-20 Championships in both the shot and the discus and just missed out on a medal in the latter, coming 4th in ths discus in Novi-Sad.

The following year as an U-23, he seemed to be making good progress with the heavier senior implements in shot putt and discus... But then, as you note, he just completely disappeared, with no competition entries on his PO10 page since August 2010.

What a waste.

Could it have been a major injury or a spate of them that ended his athletic career before it really started? Perhaps he just found a good paying job somehwere and did that instead?
            Or maybe it was UKA's "legendary" lack of support for heavy throwers that might have done for him?

I guess we'll never know.

I think UKA didn't encourage Serita Solomon in 2015. Despite running the World champs standard many times and a PB of 12.87s she wasn't selected and there was still a space on the team. Tiff and Cindy only, were selected.

Also, Alison Leonard has kinda disappeared as nice the 2016 Europeans. Even her twitter kinda died after that. I think she got married and tried to change events and then just got sick of UKA and the sport.

On the French side, what happened to Cindy Billaud?

Another is Nigerian, Regina George, found out she was pregnant some weeks back.

​​​​​​US athletes, Octavious Freeman and Candyce Mcgrone.

Did Darya Klishina compete last year?

Comment

Originally posted by Yhelloo View Post
            On the French side, what happened to Cindy Billaud?
            I watched Cindy Billaud competing a couple of times this winter. About half a second off her best in the 60 Hurdles. She's 33 now.

Another one for the mix - Rhona Auckland. She ran 32:22 for the 10,000 four years ago, aged 22. Went to the University of New Mexico and has been beset by injury since. She hasn't raced for 3 years but about 18 months ago I did see video of her training so (at least until then, maybe beyond) she was still trying to make her way back.

Comment

Has Isobel Pooley retired now? I know she had a back injury but she seemed pretty adamant she'd be returning from it, was open about her plans to compete at World Indoors last year with it being in Birmingham but then has only competed twice since 2016.

Comment

• drobbie
                drobbie commented
                Editing a comment
                shes retired, she posted about it on twitter or instagram a while ago
            Working...
            X