• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 IAAF WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS (Doha, QAT) Day 4

2019 IAAF WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS (Doha, QAT) Day 4

Day 4 starts at 2 UK time.

https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/ia...imetable/byday

Six Finals but no British interest.
    Before the championships, I would have expected Brits in 3 or 4 of the finals. Let us hope the 200m runners are more successful.

Comment

• oxfan
      oxfan
      oxfan commented
      Editing a comment
      Sharpe and Butchart are in positions for the final
      Lake was a world finalist in London and has jumped the qualifying height this year

Clarke is a longer shot - while she is 27th, a number of those above her are Kenyans who were above the limit and a PB would have given her a chance of the final.

Yes, I thought we would be seeing Sharp, Butchart and Lake in finals tonight as well.

Comment

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/100314...coe-full-of-s/

I wonder if Seb will do the usual end of champs interview this time......

Comment

Day 4 of this 10 day championships and it'll be the start of the women's 200m heats, with 3 GB representatives looking to advance to the semi-finals on Tuesday. All of them, Beth Dobbin, Jodie Williams and Dina Asher-Smith should progress through to the semis comfortably enough, though after her heroics last night, I hope Dina has managed to get some rest to recover a bit from her efforts over the 100m.

An interesting sub-plot will be in the opening heat as Dafne Schippers is scheduled to line up in lane 9, less than 24 hours after having to pull out of the 100m final with an adductor strain. Whether she makes it to the blocks is pretty touch and go in my opinion and I wouldn't be surprised at all if she doesn't show up.

Also of interest will be how Elaine Thompson will fair over the longer sprint, after being comprehensively beaten by SAFP and Dina to gold and silver, and being edged out of the medals completely by Ta Lou. She didn't look like the 2015/2016 version of herself that was looking like the new star of world sprinting, and the achilles issues she's had since last season have obviously persisted into this one. From my personal view, I still think Thompson is good enough to make the final, but I'm not sure she'll be able to get into the medal fight.

Another prominent athlete to pull out of the 100m was Blessing Okagbare, though her reasons for doing so are more related to the shocking state of the Nigerian atheltics admin rather than any sort of injury issues. Okagbare won the Stanford Diamond League meeting in June, beating both Thompson and Asher-Smith in 22.05, just 0.01 off her national record and it looked like she might be returning to her best form that brought her the Commonwealth title in 2014. However the rest of her races in the season were far less impressive and by the Zurich Diamond League Final, she finished a distant 6th to Miller-Uibo and Asher-Smith.

Comment

I do get the feeling that the Nigerian Federation would struggle to organise the proverbial you know what in a brewery!

As for there being no day's rest between the 100m final and the first round of the 200m I think one of the best reasons to allow a break is that the 100 is a very high-profile event and there will always be a lot of media interest and demand for interviews in the aftermath of the final. It does seem tough to ask athletes to turn up the next day after all that 'hoopla'.

Comment

good to see the rise and rise of Jeanette Kwakye as a BBC presenter, it takes more than just being a former athlete to anchor, can you imagine Colin Jackson in that role hmm....

Comment

Calling it now; Kambundji for Bronze in the 200. Dina Gold.

Comment

I love Dina, but do the BBC need to bring *everything* back to her...

Comment

• carterhatch
                  carterhatch
                  carterhatch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  the paucity of British athletes with any chance of winning medals leaves them little choice...

Schippers and Ta Lou DNS the 1st heat in the 200m. No surprise for Schippers.

Comment

Man, Dina looks so easy. Can't see past her for gold, unless Seyni perhaps turns up and causes controversy with a huge drop... Always looked more 400/800 to me though

Comment

Was out of the house and missed some of the heats including Dina's... Just watching it now and yeah, Dina is the favourite for gold for me because Elaine looked less than good in her heat earlier and most of the rest of the big guns are either out through injury or not competing.

22.32, looking really easy, and doing that after 3 rounds of 100m in the previous couple of days? Definite favourite. Also, 21.7 is a *real* possibility here in the final.

Comment

Oh dear, Okagbare DQ'd for lane infringement (didn't even auto-qualify anyway!)

My excitement for the 200m final has massively dropped. I wanted to see Dina beating the best to win Gold and it looks like she'll be the only big name in the final.

Comment

Originally posted by Christy93 View Post
                        Man, Dina looks so easy. Can't see past her for gold, unless Seyni perhaps turns up and causes controversy with a huge drop... Always looked more 400/800 to me though
                        Seyni did knock a big chunk off her national record with 22.56 in that heat and Seyni is a 400m runner who will not start well but finish like a train... Not likely to go fast enough challenge Dina though.

Also Okagbare is DQ'd for a lane infringement.... so another runner who has gone faster than Asher-Smith this year is out unless she appeals... not that she ran particularly well though, coming 4th in 22.74.

Well done to Pinto of Germany getting a new PB of 22.63 to qualify behind Seyni.

Comment

It'll be good for her going into Tokyo as the reigning world champ, irrespective of some of the competition around her in these champs. And if she posts a great time too, it will be objectively a fine victory. I don't want to speak too soon, but she really is the class of the remaining field.

Comment

Working...
                          X