Kenyan Doping News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenyan Doping News

Sad but unsurprising details from German TV yet again. Claim to have footage of 2 members of 2019 Worlds team injecting EPO. Also a AK physician confirming that they take EPO in prep for big meets and cover up failed tests. Why arent East African distance athletes treated with the same suspicion as Belarusian throwers or Russian walkers?

https://www.zdf.de/sport/zdf-sportre...oping-100.html

I never like "claims to have footage". But if true, the content of those reports is devastating for Kenya and will fuel the fire of those who believe all East Africans are cheats.

Comment

• Christy93
      Christy93 commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think anybody believes "all East Africans are cheats", the same as nobody believes all Russians are cheats, but there is certainly no lack of evidence behind the belief that cheating is rife in East Africa.

Since no names are named, I hope any actual evidence is handed to WADA/the IAAF.

Comment

Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
      Since no names are named, I hope any actual evidence is handed to WADA/the IAAF.
      Seb Coe has confirmed that the AIU is now investigating. French media have got hold of screenshots of the video footage, and of compromising correspondance between AK/AKAD and athletes' representatives. German TV have another documentary, focusing on Morocco, out in 2 weeks.
      Last edited by Christy93; 24-09-19, 09:42.

Comment

Honestly, accusations without any names attached are a pretty useless way to proceed. All it does is fire up the "all kenyan's are cheats" mob. I don't know what German libel laws are like, but it would amaze me if they didn't have enough evidence to name names, and if so they should have the confidence in that journalism to publish them. Or at the very least be crystal clear that they are giving the specific names to the correct authorities, and will release the names in X days if the AIU doesn't do anything.

Comment

• Christy93
          Christy93 commented
          Editing a comment
          German defamation laws are at best extreme and at worst draconian. Insulting is a criminal offence under German defamation laws; You can be prosecuted for calling your neighbour a b****d, for example. A journalist had charges (later dropped) brought against him for writing a poem ridiculing a politician. The open interpretation of defamation codes in German law make for a massive grey area, so most media will not name names until something is a widely established fact.

We'll see what AIU come back with, but with the proven cases of corruption in AK & ADAK and of doping in Kenyan sport, things don't look good.

Originally posted by larkim View Post
        Honestly, accusations without any names attached are a pretty useless way to proceed. All it does is fire up the "all kenyan's are cheats" mob. I don't know what German libel laws are like, but it would amaze me if they didn't have enough evidence to name names, and if so they should have the confidence in that journalism to publish them. Or at the very least be crystal clear that they are giving the specific names to the correct authorities, and will release the names in X days if the AIU doesn't do anything.
        Hopefully, there is no legal risk to the film makers if they hand over the original footage, with faces visible, to the AIU and AK. AK would surely have good reason to suspend the two pending an inquiry / hearing.

Comment

https://mobile.twitter.com/jgault13/...07329588629504

It seems that part of the ZDF evidence is a forgery. Undermines the impact of the story a bit, which is a shame.

Comment

https://mobile.twitter.com/jgault13/...07329588629504

It seems that part of the ZDF evidence is a forgery. Undermines the impact of the story a bit, which is a shame.
            Two Kenyan athletes, Michael Kibet & Daniel Simiyu, who are already in Doha to compete in the 5000m, have been told they are banned from competing by the AIU due to a breach of doping rules - They havent had the required number of out of competition tests to be eligible. Farcical.

Comment

well, farcical on behalf of AK, but good that we can't have an untested but potentially doped to the eyeballs in training athlete coming onto the track and smashing records.

Are we certain that these aren't also implicated in the ZDF doc?

Comment

To be fair to AK, both have come out of nowhere - neither had a 5000 pb prior to this year - so it’s not surprising they were not on testing lists.

Comment

Also, it was revealed the day after they qualified at the trials that they may be ineligible to compete in Doha because of a lack of tests. No link to this doping story.

Comment

Makes sense, thanks. Though "coming out of nowhere" and then finishing first & second at the Kenyan trials does raise an eyebrow which might draw a link to the doping story, even if there was a pre-existing reason for them not being eligible. Or am I sounding too "Let'sRun"...?

Comment

Makes sense, thanks. Though "coming out of nowhere" and then finishing first & second at the Kenyan trials does raise an eyebrow which might draw a link to the doping story, even if there was a pre-existing reason for them not being eligible. Or am I sounding too "Let'sRun"...?
                      Actually - I was unfair on Kibet - he is only 20 was one of the world's best juniors last year at 1500 and 3000 (3:36 and 7:50). Simiyu looks a bit dodge, though. No record of any performance on Tilajstopaja at any distance or on any surface prior to this year and at the age of 24 he runs 13:15 .. .. . . .at altitude! Feel free to post your suspicions on Letsrun larkim!!

Comment

Meanwhile, according to Coe, ZDF are going to share their evidence with AIU during the World champs. During?!?! I assumed they'd ask to see the footage now and tell AK to immediately suspend the two athletes.

At least Coe is now opening his emails from whistle blowers. He wasn't too keen to get involved during his election campaign when Dave Bedford passed on the dirt about Russians.

Comment

Originally posted by Sovietvest View Post

Actually - I was unfair on Kibet - he is only 20 was one of the world's best juniors last year at 1500 and 3000 (3:36 and 7:50). Simiyu looks a bit dodge, though. No record of any performance on Tilajstopaja at any distance or on any surface prior to this year and at the age of 24 he runs 13:15 .. .. . . .at altitude! Feel free to post your suspicions on Letsrun larkim!!
                          letsrun in total overdrive right now !!!

Comment

Working...
                          X