UK Throw Events - State of play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Throw Events - State of play

Ursus raised a very interesting stat recently. He noted how only 2 throw selections were made from a potential 24. Surely this must signal to UKA that something is not right about the state of British throw events. I propose after some discussion on this forum that we write to AW to put an article together with a 10 point plan to address this disaster.

I will begin by suggesting we need a much more proactive talent identification drive ... leading up to London 2012 there were a number of initiatives that sort to identify athletes for events such as handball, rowing et al for example 'Sporting Giants'... Nations with a long history in throws like Finland, Germany and Poland perhaps do not loose so many of the type suited to throws to other sports like Rugby ... but I think UKA could do so much more to try and engage potential throwers ...

Ursus quite rightly posted this embarrassing piece of news on the GB Team for Doha site, and perhaps there is a need for an obituary for British throws before UKA take any notice of the decline ... So I ask forum users again... what would you suggest should be included in a 10 point plan to resuscitate the patient...

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/athl...ips/ar-AAHxwim

Comment

Originally posted by carterhatch View Post
      Ursus quite rightly posted this embarrassing piece of news on the GB Team for Doha site, and perhaps there is a need for an obituary for British throws before UKA take any notice of the decline ... So I ask forum users again... what would you suggest should be included in a 10 point plan to resuscitate the patient...

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/athl...ips/ar-AAHxwim
      For starters, fire Neil Black.

Next, organize some talent finding programs for various throwing disciplines

Grab some Polish/German/Czech/Finnish/etc coaches and get them into the system pronto.

I'll think of more when I can.

Comment

• carterhatch
        carterhatch commented
        Editing a comment
        step 1 ...tick

More visibility for the throws on TV and at competitions. We are far too focused on track events to the detriment of the field events. A big reason is because it fits neatly into TV scheduling. The story of the throws must be told better and not only when there is a British athlete competing and doing well...

Comment

There’s long term issues over talent ID, infrastructure, coaching pathways etc. Strength in depth is poor in virtually all bar mHT.

My immediate priority though would be around making the most of the talent we do have, which means making sure they’re in the hands of coaches who know what they’re doing at that level (that’s crucial and may not be their original club coaches....) and have suitable back up.

The mJT is poor and yet we have continued to develop some decent talent. Hughes is over 80 already and clearly has scope to improve. I mentioned Dan Pembroke elsewhere, he had the talent to be in that club as does Benji Pearson as does James Whittaker and others, some may still get there. It’s the reasons why these haven’t kicked on that really need looking at.

In the mSP, we’ve had our first 20m man in years. Hopefully Scott can kick on, but depth poor.

mDT. Moderate, but Okoye’s competed a couple of times now. Could be a different story if he commits to coming back.

mHT. We have an 80m man and likely world finalist backed up by good strength in depth.

wSP. Probably as good as its ever been, at least since the Oakes / Head era.

wDT. Dire. Whatever you say about Lally she was our clear no 1 capable of proper international standard distances (even if generally not when it counted).

wHT. Been sad to watch Sophie. Time will tell if it’s the end or a new beginning. Some promising youngsters, but well off the pace in the senior ranks.

wJT. Less said the better.

Even in the wJT and wHT which are currently in a bad state we’ve had Olympic medalists in the not too distant past.

Some proper commitment from the powers that be could work wonders. The corpse is twitching. But like elsewhere the ridiculous tail wagging dog medal / podium obsession has to stop. Develop the strength in depth and those will come.

Comment

seems a pesky spammer has bumped one of my series of 'state pf play' for the quiet season... Ursus gave a good summary up thread, any one else want to contribute, and I'll email a ten point plan to the new head coach for their intray

(a note... I clicked on 'flag' under said pesky spammer comment and it has been deleted, bravo)
          Last edited by carterhatch; 22-10-19, 08:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Runner88 View Post
            More visibility for the throws on TV and at competitions. We are far too focused on track events to the detriment of the field events. A big reason is because it fits neatly into TV scheduling. The story of the throws must be told better and not only when there is a British athlete competing and doing well...
            well apart from a significant disinterest in the UK in field events, especially the throws, TV just encourages this indifference because very few countries TV coverage can handle the time factor in following fully a throws event unlike the track stuff. I see no change in the future.

Comment

It's not just the time tbh. It's hard for the naked eye to see if a throw has reached a distance of interest in most cases, so it can look repetitive on TV. Maybe if the results were recorded electronically and came up INSTANTLY it would help, or more marker lines, perhaps coloured, would make it more visual.

Comment

Why is this seen as something drastically wrong or surprising. Before Sophie Hitchens bronze in 2016 our previous medal in heavy throws was in 1928.

Basically our our current situation is just that we are currently crap at Javelin. Everything else is pretty much as you would expect or slightly better.

Comment

Interesting that McKinna has turned down lottery funding in Olympic year in favour of juggling 2 part time jobs. Some fairly critical comments of her previous experience of funding.

Comment

Working...
                  X