Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry
    replied
    perhaps Muir,Mo on the off chance that he does marathon,KJT a conceivable, I prohibit transfers right now.

http://historicarmouries.com.au/
    Last edited by Henry; 31-12-18, 12:37.

Leave a comment:

• Henry
    replied
    First up, have one of either in accomplishing that stamp. Its horrible expecting dina to convey all the heaviness of desire in the ladies runs for this nation, time for a portion of our other best gifts to venture up and progress

Life is what happens when you’re busy making other plans

Leave a comment:

• larkim
    replied
    But to mix it with the best, that's the size of the task - 2:17s is where big city marathons are won. If she was a solid 2:22-ish she'd have a medal chance on the right day, especially if she could close using 1500m pace. The reality is we are very poor at marathons today, but there's no reason why we shouldn't discover a Yamauchi in the next few years to parallel Hawkins in the mens.

Leave a comment:

• LuckySpikes
    replied
    Originally posted by larkim View Post
    Twell's run looked very well controlled in terms of pacing, negative split and consistent pacing throughout indicating a lot more to come. impressive 1500m to marathon range now for her. Though we need to remember that 2:30 is nothing on the international scene so she needs to find 20s per mile at least, or 30s per mile at best, to be mixing it with anyone of any calibre.

Her time puts her 2nd this year for UK women in the marathon, putting into context what a rubbish year they've had, even with a decent amount of potential depth there.

She's only 25th on the UK alltime 10000m but still ought to be able to convert that into a 2:24 or faster you'd hope. But our women seem to be a bit stuck below 2:28s at the moment. Since 2012, only three British women have gone faster than 2:29, Claire Hallisey, Sonia Samuels and Freya Ross.
    Yes, agreed. It will be interesting to see where a full year or two of marathon training can take her. 30s per mile might be pushing it though. That would take her down to 2:17!

She's a bit of a 'shuffler' so I think it might suit her.

Leave a comment:

• larkim
    replied
    Twell's run looked very well controlled in terms of pacing, negative split and consistent pacing throughout indicating a lot more to come. impressive 1500m to marathon range now for her. Though we need to remember that 2:30 is nothing on the international scene so she needs to find 20s per mile at least, or 30s per mile at best, to be mixing it with anyone of any calibre.

Her time puts her 2nd this year for UK women in the marathon, putting into context what a rubbish year they've had, even with a decent amount of potential depth there.

She's only 25th on the UK alltime 10000m but still ought to be able to convert that into a 2:24 or faster you'd hope. But our women seem to be a bit stuck below 2:28s at the moment. Since 2012, only three British women have gone faster than 2:29, Claire Hallisey, Sonia Samuels and Freya Ross.
    Last edited by larkim; 03-12-18, 16:04.

Leave a comment:

• LuckySpikes
    replied
    Nice marathon debut for Steph Twell in Valencia - 2:30:12. Top European however was Ana Dulce Felix, 2:25:22, in her best run since her European 10,000m silver in 2016.

The men's race was one of the deepest ever - six runners at 2:05:26 or better. The winner Leul Gebrselassie has run just 2 marathons, both of them in 2:04.

Over at the USA Marathon Championships Emma Bates, the 2014 NCAA 10,000m champion, had a great 26.2 debut winning in 2:28:18. It was on the cards because things seem to have really clicked for her this year.
    Last edited by LuckySpikes; 03-12-18, 12:28.

Leave a comment:

• LuckySpikes
    replied
    Frankie,
    Don't know what's happened to Rhona Auckland. As far as I'm aware she hasn't retired but she hasn't raced for 2.5 years. I did see video of her training at New Mexico about 18 months ago so I think she's still going.
    Yes, that's a first senior XC vest for Nick Goolab. I thought Marc Scott ran very well at the Euros in Berlin. He's already very close to those times but would need to be a bit faster I think to be in contention for European track medals. It seems to me there's a mini-resurgence happening in European men's distance running, led by the Ingebrigtsens, so if he can ride that wave ...

Leave a comment:

• frankie cahill
    replied
    What are your thoughts on Marc Scott, Lucky? Am I being over optimistic in thinking he can step into Andy Vernon's occasionally angry shoes? I think he could become a real talent for us over the next few years. I'd certainly like to imagine he has sub 13:20/28:0 in his range

Leave a comment:

• frankie cahill
    replied
    Also props to Nick Goolab. Is this his first senior appearance in a xc vest? Speaking of comebacks we musn't forget Ross Millington either
    Last edited by frankie cahill; 29-11-18, 15:25.

Leave a comment:

• frankie cahill
    replied
    Great to see Jess Piasecki (nee Coulson), Kate Avery & U23 Lydia Turner back in British vests after troubled times.
    You beat me to it, Lucky. I'm ashamed to say I'd actually forgotten about Lydia Turner, it's being so long since she raced. We've lost so many wonderful young talents in women's distance running ( Clay, Auckland, Pidgeon, even in a sense perhaps Beth Potter) or have seen them have their careers curtailed and defined by injury ( Twell, Purdue & Gorecka) that's it's a real joy to see these comebacks

Leave a comment:

• LuckySpikes
    replied
    The British team has been announced for the European Cross Country Championships on 9th December - https://www.britishathletics.org.uk/...am-in-tilburg/

Great to see Jess Piasecki (nee Coulson), Kate Avery & U23 Lydia Turner back in British vests after troubled times.

In this weekend's marathon action, Steph Twell is making her marathon debut in Valencia shooting, she says, for 2:30. We might catch a glimpse of her on the live stream if we're lucky. Callum Hawkins returns to the 26.2 in Fukuoka. (Edit: Callum has withdrawn with a hamstring niggle).

Over in the States there's no rest for those college kids. Indoor season starts on Saturday in Boston including a stacked women's 5000 aiming for low-15, with the likes of Kelati, Ostrander, Kurgat, Cranny & Lokedi leading the charge.
    Last edited by LuckySpikes; 29-11-18, 13:39.

Leave a comment:

• larkim
    replied
    I think the difference is that arguably the innappropriate coaching relationships are not part of a narrative of the continued presence of XYZ in the sport. Doping ones are. But you're right, it was a serious issue (though I seem to recall that relatively little of specificity is in the public domain about it).

In relation to Levine, the judgement is here, including Levine's attempted defence about contaminated supplements. Interesting note that he wasn't in the registered testing pool at the time so could have refused a test, and whilst that is not evidence of innocence is just an interesting side-note in the case.

https://www.ukad.org.uk/anti-doping-...cision/a/11751

Leave a comment:

• ThrowsFan
    replied
    Originally posted by larkim View Post
    Levine gets 4 year ban...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/46273307

I wonder if he'll be public about the situation, his (failed) defence, etc? Understanding that we're all only human, I always have a little more respect for those who fall short of standards but then publicly recognise where they went wrong. I don't condone doping, but I do understand how some would make the decision to dope.
    No-one mentioned the other ban that was recently handed down and covered in the AW News section. The 4 year ban of David Parker who breached the terms of his coach licence when he had inappropriate relationships with (his) athletes at Loughborough University where he was employed.

Leave a comment:

• larkim
    replied
    Levine gets 4 year ban...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/46273307

I wonder if he'll be public about the situation, his (failed) defence, etc? Understanding that we're all only human, I always have a little more respect for those who fall short of standards but then publicly recognise where they went wrong. I don't condone doping, but I do understand how some would make the decision to dope.

Leave a comment:

• LuckySpikes
    replied
    World record for Uganda's Joshua Cheptegei in the 15km race at Nijmegen - 41:04. The old WR was 41:13.

Some swift times in the women's race too - Stella Chesang making it a double for Uganda in 47:19 and Susan Krumins 3rd in 47:41 which would translate to a click or two over 51 mins for 10 miles.

Regarding the NCAA Cross Country ... I should give up trying to predict NCAA events! In the snow (the first for ~30 years at an NCAAs) the 2017 Indoor 3000m champ Dani Jones beat Weini Kelati to the title and Morgan McDonald won the men's.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X