British athletics name 72-strong team for doha world championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post

I've had a look at them for some events. Interesting (and flawed) but ultimately only really meaningful for those athletes who are going to be on the cusp of qualification for major championships.

As I mentioned a couple of months ago, yes, commentators are still referring to the season performance list when they say what world ranking an athlete has. And unless the IAAF provides them with the info on their Commentator Information System I just don't see them taking the time to calculate what athletes need to do to move up the rankings (even when the rankings start to be used for qualification purposes.)

I think it would gain a lot more traction if there were significant financial incentives for athletes to finish the year ranked 2nd instead of 4th or ranked 8th instead of 13th. But, with 40-odd disciplines that's not likely to ever happen.
    I think it will be difficult for commentators to navigate through the diamond league rankings, world rankings and world performance lists before races, it hard enough for die-hard fans to keep up. But of the three the world rankings should be the best, in theory, at illustrating who the best athletes in the world are, it rewards consistency pretty well.
    Last edited by treadwater1; 07-09-19, 18:07.

Comment

Originally posted by treadwater1 View Post
      Jaz Sawyers and Lorraine Ugen are both within the top 32 cut off point on the road to Doha lists and are due invites from the IAAF. Not an easy choice for BA. Ugen has been 5th at the last two world championships, had the world lead last year, won world indoor silver a few year ago. Sawyers was 8th in Rio, 4th in Berlin along with some good minor medals at Euros and Commonwealths. Sawyers finishing ahead of Ugen at the British champs could be crucial
      It is a no-brainer. The question you ask is would either of them at their best have a chance of a medal?
      Sawyers no. Ugen yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Laps View Post

It is a no-brainer. The question you ask is would either of them at their best have a chance of a medal?
        Sawyers no. Ugen yes.
        Have to agree; Ugen has that exciting potential to just pull out a 6.90+ and it'll be worth taking the chance on that.

Comment

• SMGOtto
          SMGOtto commented
          Editing a comment
          I personally would prefer KJT to have the 3rd spot if she wants it (timetable would allow). I'd say she would have a better chance of a medal than Sawyers or Ugen in the LJ.

Sawyers and KJT would perform well for GBR, but Ugen could pull out a big one on the day. There are signs she's progressing based on Brussels.

Comment

KJT would be the best option, but presumably she doesn’t want to do it otherwise she would have been named in the initial squad. Ugen’s 2nd and 3rd best comps are better than Sawyers this year, but she still produces a lot of fouls at crucial times, personally I can’t see either of them threatening for medals going on current form. If I had to pick an athlete that would produce their best on the day and maybe get into the top 8, I’d say Sawyers

Comment

but what a great depth to the event from our ladies... Ms. Ugen achieved a 6.70 at the Brussels Diamond League so that is 5 athletes on or over that milestone, and it would be a great pity if only two got to compete at Doha

Comment

So, according to the Beeb Steph Twell is doing the Frankfurt Marathon at the end of October, not the Berlin Marathon. 70:52 for her today in the GNR.

Comment

When do the IAAF invites start being circulated? If previous form is anything to go by, we won't know about the invites until after some athletes have been (in their view) unfairly left at home despite being invited.

Comment

Originally posted by larkim View Post
                  When do the IAAF invites start being circulated? If previous form is anything to go by, we won't know about the invites until after some athletes have been (in their view) unfairly left at home despite being invited.
                  In the IAAF document it says, "Following the end of the qualification period, the IAAF shall assess the number of athletes having qualified in accordance with § 1, 2 and 3 above, plus the unqualified athletes. In order to reach the established ideal number of athletes by event, respecting the maximum quota by Member Federation, the IAAF shall then identify the athletes qualified by virtue of their position in the top performance lists.The World Rankings will be used in case of ties to reach the target number of athletes in events.The IAAF shall, within 24 hours of the closing of the Qualification Period, notify the Member Federations.concerned by email to the official email address ([email protected]) and replies shall be expected within 24 hours. Upon refusals or cancellations, the next eligible athlete will be identified at the sole and exclusive discretion of the IAAF."

The qualification period ended on 6th September so the invites should have already been sent out and responded to.

Comment

Presuambly there is an embargo on releasing the names of the accepted invites then until the whole cycle of offer / accept / new offer / new acceptance etc has gone through. Should hear by the end of this week though for certain, thanks - I should have read the doc!!

Comment

Thinking about this logically, if other teams are only just declaring, so field sizes are only just emerging, the IAAF can't do it's "quota" thing based on the timetable they set themselves, can they?

Comment

Interestingly Michael Obasuyi of Belgium has received an IAAF invite for the 110mH and had it accepted - his best this season is 13.54 - same time as Cameron Fillery, meaning he'll get an invite too. Wonder if he fits the bill of 'podium potential' for British Athletics??

Comment

British Athletics have accepted an IAAF invite for Jazmin Sawyers and Imani Lansiquot has been added for the 100m because DAS won the DL final - https://www.britishathletics.org.uk/...rmed-for-100m/

No word on Cameron Fillery (there are 5 men on 13.54 so maybe a tiebreaker had to be applied - Obasuyi's 2nd best time this year, 13.57, is better than Fillery's 2nd best.)
                          Last edited by LuckySpikes; 12-09-19, 09:20.

Comment

• Laps
                            Laps commented
                            Editing a comment
                            The IAAF document you quote above says that ties will be decided on World Rankings. Fillery is ranked 52nd. Obasuyi is ranked 55th.
                            So the invite would have gone to Fillery first?

• LuckySpikes
                            LuckySpikes commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yes, you're right.

We can only presume then that British Athletics have not deemed him worthy.

• trickstat
                            trickstat commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Fillery is 20 and has improved from 14.08 to 13.54 this year. Surely that puts him in the 'outside chance to be a finalist in Tokyo' category???

So no Ugen (Olympic funding), with arguably 1cm being the deciding factor. I would have thought her the better bet, but good to see an invitation being accepted at least.

Comment

• carterhatch
                            carterhatch commented
                            Editing a comment
                            as I have repeated many times, Ms. Sawyers is a marketing gold nugget, articulate, very pleasing on the eye, and active on social media... not Ms. Ugen's strengths, but had she continued her involvement in relays I think she may have had a better season in the jumps and proved of greater utility as back up for the 4x100, at least something to consider for next year.

• larkim
                            larkim commented
                            Editing a comment
                            No problem with recognisng Sawyers' additional appeal, and if IAAF was simply going down the list then Sawyers would always get the first offer. Would have been quite contentious to reject Sawyers but accept Ugen if she was the next on the list, despite the disparity in the funding arrangements. The only discretion UKA has is to reject an invitation, they don't get to choose who is offered a place, and based on current year performances Sawyers is 1cm better.

• Ladyloz
                            Ladyloz commented
                            Editing a comment
                            If an invite was turned down for Sawyers I doubt the IAAF would have invited Ugen. I

It's a long shot for me that Ugen would perform to her best, she's far too inconsistent. Jaz is much better at raising her game in a.champs environment

Originally posted by Afrothletics View Post
                          Interestingly Michael Obasuyi of Belgium has received an IAAF invite for the 110mH and had it accepted - his best this season is 13.54 - same time as Cameron Fillery, meaning he'll get an invite too. Wonder if he fits the bill of 'podium potential' for British Athletics??
                          I note that the proposed number of 110m hurdlers by IAAF is 40 athletes, and yet an athlete such as the Begian is number 55 in the Ranking list. That suggests does it not that a heck of a lot of athletes between those numbers were turned down by their Federations or were not eligible because 3 athletes were already selected by their own Federations any way and the only 4 somes in events are 2017 WC winners or DL champs in 2019.Am I correct
                          I beleieve things will be different for Tokyo 2020 with harder qualifying for sure.

Comment

• larkim
                            larkim commented
                            Editing a comment
                            There are 15 US men in that top 55, so knock out 12 of those leaves you with 42 potential athletes. There's also 6 Jamaicans, so knock out a further 3 etc etc. So no need for any refusals before you end up with asking the 55th ranked athlete to participate if you want 40 in the heats.

Not quite the same, but I did a spreadsheet for the Olympic quals based on World Rankings which does the work for you - tells you how low an athlete could be ranked to be invited, once all the 3 per nation spots are taken up. See https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
                        Working...
                        X