Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MysteryBrick
    commented on 's reply
    Can't have it all... but yes, one in the final would have been nice.

• Occasional Hope
    commented on 's reply
    Pity about the men...

• MysteryBrick
    replied
    Originally posted by MysteryBrick View Post
    After Alex Bell's PB this evening, it's fairly mad that the 3rd GB W800m runner at the Olympics has run 1:58.3 this season! Without a doubt the fastest trio GB have ever sent to a major.
    And they came 2nd, 4th and 7th...!

Leave a comment:

• SprintRelayFan
    commented on 's reply
    This aged well Run

• paul
    replied
    Here's a lovely flag-waver thought:

Reekie to take the NR off The Hodge some time in the next 12 months.
    Followed by a period of NR tennis between them, and possibly Muir. In the spirit of Coe and Ovett... perhaps culminating in... well we all know how Coe-Ovett worked out.

Leave a comment:

• Occasional Hope
    commented on 's reply
    Falling like flies. Do we have any reserves or is it too late?

• SprintRelayFan
    commented on 's reply
    Well I guess we now know why Dustin isn't running at least

• carterhatch
    commented on 's reply
    Point well made, If Ms. Bell can run a PB of that magnitude on a Tuesday night in Trafford, then what time might she run, eye-balls out, a different quality of competition around her, a place in the final at Tokyo at stake, I think she will be all in at the semis and 1.57 might mean she qualifies, and that would be a success.

Burgin injured, Dustin, previous meet no show, precaution? who knows, Rowden, last minute no show, precaution? who knows... There is an uncomfortable theme arising from these young talented 800 runners ... Yes, yes, yes, saving themselves for Tokyo I hear you say, well, if they turn-up with 'niggles' or unprepared to survive rounds, then they are not going to do themselves justice.
    Last edited by carterhatch; 14-07-21, 10:47.

• MysteryBrick
    replied
    After Alex Bell's PB this evening, it's fairly mad that the 3rd GB W800m runner at the Olympics has run 1:58.3 this season! Without a doubt the fastest trio GB have ever sent to a major.

Leave a comment:

• carterhatch
    replied
    As Ian Hodge tweeted about that extraordinary women's 800 in Monaco 'was the first time in thirteen years when two women from the same country have run below 1:57 for 800m in the same race.' sometimes it is easy to be quite blase about the athletics talent we have ... UK Women's 800 has never had this depth before.

Leave a comment:

• SprintRelayFan
    commented on 's reply
    Great stats thank you

• RunUnlimited
    replied
    Further on what carterhatch had to say above.

Keely Hodginkson's run yesterday isn't just the 3rd fastest time *ever* by a Brit, regardless of age.... and not only is it the 2nd fastest time outdoors by a European junior of all time.... it is the 7th fastest time ever by a junior in the world U20 all time list!

Outside of Athing Mu doing her thing, the last time any junior athlete had run quicker was Francine Niyonsaba 9 years ago (1:56.59).

That's the calibre of run we saw yesterday evening in Stockholm from Keely.

Leave a comment:

• carterhatch
    replied
    It's official - with Joshua Lay running 1:45.99 today it is the first year GB have ever had 10 men under 1:46 - previous best ever was 1:46.08 for 10th in 2019 (which was Spencer Thomas, who ended up winning the UK Champs that year!) and before that 1:46.13 back in 1988. And given 11th-18th have all run under 1:47 and two of them have previously run 1:44 (Langford and Learmonth), I would be it will end up being more than 10...
    I am surprised that Mysterybrick hasn't updated the forum with a suitable metric for the rise and rise of 800m ... so quoted him from the10th June as it's now13 men who have run under 1:46 (6 under the benchmark of 1:45).

I know it has been mentioned already but Keeley Hodgkinson is now 3rd on the UK all time list, Just think about that, a season ago/pre pandemic, perhaps only the likes of RunUnlimited were singing her praises having achieved a junior milestone of some kind... Third all time, ahead of many names that spent lengthy careers trying to go beyond 1:58/59 but couldn't, a remarkable feat by this young Brit. I look forward to watching her continued journey, injury and illness free one hopes, and some metal ware along the way....

Now off to watch another young Brit hopefully contiue her rise, Emma Raducanu..... a tennis specific forum for those interested ...
    https://britishtennis.activeboard.co...rt=oldestFirst
    Last edited by carterhatch; 05-07-21, 18:16.

Leave a comment:

• RunUnlimited
    replied
    Ben Pattison the 11th Brit under 1:46 this year, well overdue as he is a classy runner. The GB U23 squad is loaded for Tampere.
    Could.... could GB go 1 - 2 - 3 in the Euro U23s too?... And (if Burgin recovers fitness in time) with the guy who was supposed to lead that clean sweep at the Euro U20s in 2019?

Actually, Burgin is *still* eligible for the Euro U20s! Let him have a shot at winning the title he missed out on UKA!
    Last edited by RunUnlimited; 28-06-21, 06:41.

Leave a comment:

• RunUnlimited
    replied
    As I said on this particular thread a couple of months ago.... The Athing Mu/Keely Hodgkingson match up is very much *on* after Keely's mature and excellently run victory today!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X