No announcement yet.

UK 800m - state of play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can see the actual results here have been disappointing given the good prospects suggested by the earlier parts of the season. But I wouldn't be too down about things : three highly promising young athletes at the same time - hasn't happened this time but surely the future looks bright ? Agree with comments above about the adverse publicity probably derailing Dustin. Burgin may need to adjust his training plan. Rowden knows he got it a bit wrong (and was arguably unlucky to be impeded) ...but who hasn't messed up 800 tactics in a big event : Remember Tom McKean , 1991, anyone ?

Next year or two will be fascinating.

Comment

I do have high hopes for Oliver Dustin's future. At 19 he was really ahead of schedule in making the Olympics this time, and it will have been useful experience for him. What I particularly like is that he has both a really fast turn of pace at the end, and can run a fast time overall.

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
        SprintRelayFan commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh I don't think i realised he was quite that young.
        Yes, I was possibly too gloomy overall it's just that given the competition to get into the team it smarts not to have a single finalist

• Occasional Hope
        Occasional Hope commented
        Editing a comment
        800 heats are always full of jeopardy though.

Originally posted by jjimbojames View Post
      On Burgin - it might be the case that his dad has taken him so far and done an amazing job - but he may need to move to improve. Not everyone can take a kid to world class and then push them further still. Fine balance between that and the sense of poaching, but I think we have a few athletes (across disciplines) that might benefit from moving on…but it’s a big move, that doesn’t always pay off…
      He’s moved to the Jenny Meadows / Trevor Painter group, trains with Hodgkinson

Comment

• jjimbojames
        jjimbojames commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes - saw they’d done some warm weather training but didn’t know it was a full move. Good news!

• trickstat
        trickstat commented
        Editing a comment
        There's a lot to be said for Burgin and Hodgkinson being in the same group. They are both the same age and have run 'senior' type times while still teenagers. In fact they're both European Junior record holders. While obviously Keely has made that massive senior breakthrough, Max could still have his pretty soon and Jenny and Trevor are well placed to guide him through it. They also can learn from each other without being direct rivals.

• Occasional Hope
        Occasional Hope commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, very good news. They've done such a good job with Keely.

Thomas Randolph is now another name with real potential. 1:44.98 after a European U23 Bronze and a string of 1:46s.

In terms of opportunities for the top men next year, 3 will go to the Worlds and I think likely a different 3 to the Euros, while I wouldn't be surprised to see athletes like Giles and Davis possibly going for the 1500m. It should be an exciting summer at least!

Comment

Yes, Mystery Brick, it needs one of your metrics - as noted elsewhere, that is 7 men under 1.45, quite a milestone, with others you might have thought are capable (Wightman, Langord. Learmonth ) not even included.

As I also wrote on another thread, with some judicious selection, all of the main protaganists can be involved in the major events. I do think Giles and Rowden, after their Olympic experience, are better placed to give a good account of themselves at the Worlds, and I would 'pencil in' Dustin for Europeans to build his ability to run rounds (the build up was tough on the young man) , and Burgin, hopefully fit and ready, let loose on the Commonweatlhs, then infill around that.

I would like to see Pattison run a 400 before the end of the season, if only to rewrite his PB, as many have mentioned he has stepped up from this distance. I'm keen to find someone with a little extra 'endurance' for the first leg of project sub3...

Comment

With the super spikes I’m not sure 1.45 is quite the landmark it once was, but still going very well - on SBs the 7 are all ranked from 9 to 47 in the world rankings which is pretty impressive depth. But now need one or two to start making proper dents in the champs.

carterhatch. Knotweed. That is all. :-)

Comment

• LoveSprints1
            LoveSprints1 commented
            Editing a comment
            It's great but the world rankings are meaningless when Athing Mu the Olympic Champion, world lead, unbeaten over 800m this year is ranked fifth behind everyone she has dominated this year. The fact NCAA performances aren't included and that sub-par European events are, is a travesty.

A Trinidadian Heptathlete - Tyra Gittens - ranked top 7 in the World prior to the Olympics on her NCAA performances (6418), was not ranked high enough on the IAAF system to achieve selection on their rankings. She went as a Long Jumper (could also possibly have gone for High Jump as has the World's highest Hep combination for the two events) and made the final, BUT the rankings system is a joke if Jemma can be above Keely and they are both ahead of Athing.

• trickstat
            trickstat commented
            Editing a comment
            I think even before the super spikes, times in the men's 800 at world level are perhaps nearly a second quicker than they were in the early 80s. Sub 1:44 is probably about as commonplace these days as sub 1:45 was back then. I know Rudisha's WR is not 1 second faster than Coe's but the latter's times were in a class of their own at the time.

LoveSprints1 - I believe that Ursus was referring to the 'traditional' world rankings of best performances rather than the WA rankings. However, I do agree that the latter are hugely flawed and favour athletes who are able to do lots of certain competitions. I have glanced at the rankings for the men's 800 and noticed that Guy Learmonth is ranked much higher than the likes of Dustin thanks to running in enough of these events. For me, they are not yet suitable for allocating so many places at Champs as they were for the Olympics this year.
        Working...
        X