Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MysteryBrick
    replied
    Also, it must be noted that GB now has 10 athletes with the World standard in the men's 800m. Only Kenya, with 12, has more.

Leave a comment:

• MysteryBrick
    commented on 's reply
    And Occasional Hope - I definitely agree, especially someone like Staines. You aren't likely to get many better opportunities than a pacemaker for 800m.

• MysteryBrick
    commented on 's reply
    Ordinarily I would say that heat then final could throw a nasty surprise, but this I definitely feel that if you aren't good enough to make it through the heat reasonably easily you definitely aren't good enough to make the team.

• Occasional Hope
    commented on 's reply
    Or maybe someone who doesn't have the standard might want o go with Max to try to get it?

• Runner88
    replied
    Bets on Burgin running hard from the front and the others letting him go away? Nobody will want to be the effective pace make behind him and risking losing the 2nd automatic qualifying spot.

Langford finally got the time that his form in prior races has shown and I fancy him for 2nd. Tom Staines will be dangerous and Giles could still get turn it around. Can’t wait!

A shame that with just one round to the final that the heats could throw up a nasty surprise or two.

Leave a comment:

• Occasional Hope
    commented on 's reply
    Gourley's not entered in the 800.

• MysteryBrick
    replied
    And now Langford has the standard too! The race gets even more tasty. I'm assuming Gourley will still go for the 1500m, although that 1:44 800m shows that he's not going to be fun to have to race in the that final!

Leave a comment:

• Occasional Hope
    commented on 's reply
    The other question is, who gets the selectors' discretionary pick if finishing out of the top 2?

My bet would be Giles based on past performance and experience, assuming Burgin gets an auto place.

• Christy93
    commented on 's reply
    Dustin is in great shape by all accounts, performances on the track haven't really reflected his shape, but I've heard a few people saying that this season, most notably Laura Muir. When it clicks he'll be dangerous - But there isn't much time left if he wants to make teams this summer.

• carterhatch
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the added info on Staines' race. 12 months ago Dustin would have been in the conversation but looks nowhere in that form. Langford may yet make his presence felt, and I sense this race, more than any, will have some drama [a DQ, a fall] that will give the selectors a headache.

• Sovietvest
    replied
    Staines ran a terrible race tactically in Marseille, boxed and chopping his stride for 500m and then running wide from 500 to 700.. I wouldn't be surprised to see him beat Giles again in Manchester if he gets a clearer run.

A slow, tactical race would certainly suit the experienced guys - Giles, Webb and Rowden (although he seemed t pull up limping in Turku) but has anyone ever seen Burgin, when fit, run a slow first lap? I assume he'll go out in no slower than 51. Burgin and Pattison are the two in form but Webb and Giles are on an upward curve and Staines looks like he's ready, so I agree it is Burgin plus 2 from 4. Beyond that, I think our prospects for Worlds are pretty similar to last year - 50% chance of a finalist with a medal a remote possibility.

One for the future: Reece Sharman-Newell. Looks like he lost form or was injured after his 1:45.5 in April (NCAA DII record, I think) - he was only 5th at the DII Champs and ran a 1:49 last weekend in Watford. However, he looks really classy and I wouldn't be surprised to see him emerge properly next year.

Leave a comment:

• marilyn1
    replied
    Any two from 5 or 6. Pattison and Burgin.??

Leave a comment:

• marilyn1
    replied
    Yes, a nice slow tactical, nervy race,, for sure , unless Burgin goes out on his own quicker than the others in the second half of the race. I recall last years mass hype about what GBs 800m guys were likely to do in Tokyo. Yeah.!!

Leave a comment:

• MysteryBrick
    commented on 's reply
    Amen to that.

One thing I had not engaged with is that due to the dates of the Championships, GB actually have 8 (!) men with the standard:
    Max Burgin - 1:43.52 Jun 2022
    Elliot Giles - 1:44.05 Jul 2021
    Daniel Rowden - 1:44.35 Aug 2021
    Archie Davis - 1:44.72 Jul 2021
    Jake Wightman - 1:44.97 Sep 2021
    Thomas Randolph - 1:44.98 Aug 2021
    Jamie Webb - 1:45.12 Jul 2021
    Ben Pattison - 1:45.16 Jun 2022

Now Davis and Randolph are in abysmal form, while Wightman will obviously run the 1500m, but there will still be 5 in the race with a real chance to go, and with Burgin there it won't be slow (plus Thomas Staines is 0.08 off with 1:45.28 this season). Should be a fine race!

• carterhatch
    replied
    Ian Hodge notes on his twitter that a returning Giles is 4th, while Thomas Staines just beats him [into 3rd?], both with 1.46 and bits, in France. I am pleased to see Staines make it over the pond and hope he has a plan to attend the champs. Overall I am fairly agnostic about who makes the WCs/CGs, with Burgin clearly in the poll position time-wise. I just hope all the leading protagonists are fit and healthy on the starting line.
    Last edited by carterhatch; 16-06-22, 11:16.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X