UK 800m - state of play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gghurdler View Post

It will be interesting to see where our runners fit into the global picture next season. Men’s 800 is a changing event at present, it looks like the Rudisha years are coming to an end, I know he is attempting a comeback for the Olympics but it will be difficult for him to challenge Brazier. There is a nucleus of promising athletes in their early 20s, in Arop, Hoppel, Murphy, Vasquez and Korir, who could be fixtures in finals over the next few years. Rowden looks every but as good as them
    we all recall two athletes who finished just behind Rudisha in 2012 who were hardly on the world stage at that time. If its true that a week is a long time in politics, a year is a very long time in track and field.! I bet that, assuming OG goes ahead next July , at least one or two in the final are not in the radar currently.

Comment

Another PB from Giles, he's looked really good this year. My bet for top 2 at Nationals next year along with Rowden.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryBrick View Post
        Another PB from Giles, he's looked really good this year. My bet for top 2 at Nationals next year along with Rowden.
        Agreed. Really liked that run from Giles : had the courage to go after the pacemaker ; and kept going nicely to the finish. Good PB a fitting reward.

Comment

I agree that Giles has certainly raised his game, and grasped the few opportunities of this season - another winter, and showing this new found belief displayed in the way he took on the race last ngiht, might well see 1.43 and bits .

I set up this thread with mostly the rise and rise of men's 800 in mind. Yet watching Adelle Tracey last night, mention must be made of the forthcoming battle for places in the womens too. Chapeau to her, she interviewed extremely well, reminding me she is no longer on funding, and I have to say, in the heart and humditiy of an immediate post run looked very, VERY, easy on the eye - that smile is marketing gold.

Comment

Looking at the 1500 rankings tonight on power of 10 I see that James West, Piers Copeland and Marc Scott have all run quicker than last years world championship finalist Neil Gourley’s PB. Men’s 1500 is starting to look very competitive at the domestic level. Marc Scott is more of a 5000m runner of course but next years trials race will have 5-6 runners who could realistically make the team rather than last years 4. Piers Copeland is looking like a dark horse to get a Tokyo berth with his fast finish

Comment

• Paps
              Paps commented
              Editing a comment
              West was ahead of Gourley last year too so I shouldn’t be too surprised that he’s got quicker still. Being based on the US and having not been a superstar teenager I think he’s often overlooked a bit, but he’s a hell of an athlete.

• Occasional Hope
              Occasional Hope commented
              Editing a comment
              Lots of people were faster than Gourley last year too, they just ran stupidly slowly in the trials.

Article on Daniel Rowden on the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/54317583

Looks like he'll be a bit less under the radar next year, people have twigged how good he is.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQT4...ature=emb_logo

Daniel Rowdens silver medal winning run from a few years ago is quite revealing, he had the turn of pace back then

Comment

Working...
              X