UK 800m - state of play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gghurdler View Post

It will be interesting to see where our runners fit into the global picture next season. Men’s 800 is a changing event at present, it looks like the Rudisha years are coming to an end, I know he is attempting a comeback for the Olympics but it will be difficult for him to challenge Brazier. There is a nucleus of promising athletes in their early 20s, in Arop, Hoppel, Murphy, Vasquez and Korir, who could be fixtures in finals over the next few years. Rowden looks every but as good as them
    we all recall two athletes who finished just behind Rudisha in 2012 who were hardly on the world stage at that time. If its true that a week is a long time in politics, a year is a very long time in track and field.! I bet that, assuming OG goes ahead next July , at least one or two in the final are not in the radar currently.

Comment

Another PB from Giles, he's looked really good this year. My bet for top 2 at Nationals next year along with Rowden.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryBrick View Post
        Another PB from Giles, he's looked really good this year. My bet for top 2 at Nationals next year along with Rowden.
        Agreed. Really liked that run from Giles : had the courage to go after the pacemaker ; and kept going nicely to the finish. Good PB a fitting reward.

Comment

I agree that Giles has certainly raised his game, and grasped the few opportunities of this season - another winter, and showing this new found belief displayed in the way he took on the race last ngiht, might well see 1.43 and bits .

I set up this thread with mostly the rise and rise of men's 800 in mind. Yet watching Adelle Tracey last night, mention must be made of the forthcoming battle for places in the womens too. Chapeau to her, she interviewed extremely well, reminding me she is no longer on funding, and I have to say, in the heart and humditiy of an immediate post run looked very, VERY, easy on the eye - that smile is marketing gold.

Comment

Looking at the 1500 rankings tonight on power of 10 I see that James West, Piers Copeland and Marc Scott have all run quicker than last years world championship finalist Neil Gourley’s PB. Men’s 1500 is starting to look very competitive at the domestic level. Marc Scott is more of a 5000m runner of course but next years trials race will have 5-6 runners who could realistically make the team rather than last years 4. Piers Copeland is looking like a dark horse to get a Tokyo berth with his fast finish

Comment

• Paps
              Paps commented
              Editing a comment
              West was ahead of Gourley last year too so I shouldn’t be too surprised that he’s got quicker still. Being based on the US and having not been a superstar teenager I think he’s often overlooked a bit, but he’s a hell of an athlete.

• Occasional Hope
              Occasional Hope commented
              Editing a comment
              Lots of people were faster than Gourley last year too, they just ran stupidly slowly in the trials.

Article on Daniel Rowden on the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/54317583

Looks like he'll be a bit less under the radar next year, people have twigged how good he is.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQT4...ature=emb_logo

Daniel Rowdens silver medal winning run from a few years ago is quite revealing, he had the turn of pace back then

Comment

Not mentioned, from the weekend USATF Golden Games results from America, were the runs of three Brits... and it had me retiurn to the 'state of play' series I started a couple of years back..

Josh Kerr ran a 1.45, just outside his PB, but I suspect he is focusing on 1500, and rightly so as he is a leading contender for selection, but Learmonth and Langford would be disappointed with their times...

I have no intel on this, but I am nervous at the lack of news about Rowden, and Burgin, as the former has the talent to podium at Tokyo and the later's trajectory had been very promising, added to the astonishing breakthrough of Giles, and Webb, the m800 at trials is going to be a real highlight (if you follow British Swimming, it could be the equivalent of the men's 200 free) ... might Wightman be disuaded from doubling-up, and to a lesser extent D'vall Grice? One or two of the U23, including my Staines who had had high hopes for, will also be in the mix...

Yes, dear Forum, that's going to be quite a contest.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
                  Occasional Hope commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Langford looks well out of form this year.

Hopefully Rowden and Burgin will start competing soon.

• jjimbojames
                  jjimbojames commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think Jake will double at Trials but likely stick to the 15 at the OG - good to work his body hard and know what he’ll have to improve on. I think he’ll double at a CWG level.

There’s a number of good athletes that will be staying home!

• carterhatch
                  carterhatch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Jimbojames ... your thoughts on Wightman is why I suspect he might be disuaded from doubling up at trials - I am sure he would make a great account of himself in the 800 but it would only complicate an already congested picture ... a nod and wink for the 1500, in that he gets the 3rd place no matter what happens at trials (an event that is also highly congested) would be a win-win...

Originally posted by carterhatch View Post
                Not mentioned, from the weekend USATF Golden Games results from America, were the runs of three Brits... and it had me retiurn to the 'state of play' series I started a couple of years back..

Josh Kerr ran a 1.45, just outside his PB, but I suspect he is focusing on 1500, and rightly so as he is a leading contender for selection, but Learmonth and Langford would be disappointed with their times...

I have no intel on this, but I am nervous at the lack of news about Rowden, and Burgin, as the former has the talent to podium at Tokyo and the later's trajectory had been very promising, added to the astonishing breakthrough of Giles, and Webb, the m800 at trials is going to be a real highlight (if you follow British Swimming, it could be the equivalent of the men's 200 free) ... might Wightman be disuaded from doubling-up, and to a lesser extent D'vall Grice? One or two of the U23, including my Staines who had had high hopes for, will also be in the mix...

Men's and women's middle distance running in GB is at it's strongest state for many years. The strength in depth is truly impressive and extends from the senior level, down through the junior ranks. So this years 800m and 1500m at the trials will be the most competitive events during that weekend.

As for Rowden and Burgin, I wouldn't worry too much.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
                  MysteryBrick commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The only frustrating thing is neither Burgin or Rowden even have the qualifying standard, since their times last year are void.

Originally posted by carterhatch View Post

like your analogy with our 4x200m swimmers, Carter; next weeks Euros in the pool will be interesting.!

Comment

• carterhatch
                  carterhatch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  yes, philipo i know we share an interest in the swimming. I am not expecting too much from those already qualified for Tokyo, but women's freestyle relays are yet to book their place so will lneed to go all out, and there are one or two places yet to be filled on the team, so someone like Laura Stephens will be doing her utmost. If others on the forum aren't aware, there s a growing excitement that Team GB will exceed their medal toll from Rio in the swimming with some aplomb... but I get ahead of myself as always .

Max Burgin is up against some top athletes in Ostrava - Kszczot, Rozmys and Tuka. Hodgkinson is also running

Comment

Anyone know what Dan Rowden's plans are in terms of opening up his season?

With just 6 weeks until trials, I would imagine you'd be looking to start your season if you haven't already done so, unless there have been injury issues. This is even more pertinent if you don't have the Olympic qualifying standard - start your season and get that box ticked.

Comment

On the not unreasonable assumption that Dan Rowden opens with a sub-1:47 time, that will be 16 British men under or at 1:47.00 before the end of May, including 7 at U23 or U20 level. For context, 12 British men *in total* managed that from 2012-2016 inclusive. The depth of quality half-mile running in the UK is unequivocally at its best ever.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryBrick View Post
                      On the not unreasonable assumption that Dan Rowden opens with a sub-1:47 time, that will be 16 British men under or at 1:47.00 before the end of May, including 7 at U23 or U20 level. For context, 12 British men *in total* managed that from 2012-2016 inclusive. The depth of quality half-mile running in the UK is unequivocally at its best ever.
                      what do you expect in the Trials? Will we be surprised by the usual trot round and mad last 100metres.I wont.!

Comment

• MysteryBrick
                        MysteryBrick commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If Burgin is there it won't be slow. Even if he isn't i think one the big names should take it out, otherwise there will be some serious casualties

Originally posted by philipo View Post

what do you expect in the Trials? Will we be surprised by the usual trot round and mad last 100metres.I wont.!
                      Hmmm... In the men's 800m, with Max Burgin is the field, its unlikely that it'll be a trot around and last lap burn up kinda race.

And in the women's 800m, Keely H has the strength and determination to take out from the gun too, but has the confidence and basic 400m speed to prevail in a slow, championship-type race too.

It'll be a hell of a Trials for the middle distances, that's for sure.

Comment

Working...
                      X