GB athletes entered -
    Nielsen
    Asher-Smith
    McColgan
    Reekie
    Gemili
    Hughes
    Butchart

Most looking forward to? Barshim on his way back to the top, hopefully.

Dina-Asher Smith vs Thompson vs SMU for me is the big one... With Schippers, Kambundji and Okagbare also in the field, this would literally be a line up in a WC final, minus SAFP (and of course Miller-Uibo won't be contesting the 200m in Doha).
    Weather forecast suggests that there will be virtually nil wind in the stadium and what wind there is will be a following one on the home straight, and it'll be warm too. There is a chance of thundery showers in the Zurich vicinity, but they are below 30% so I'd say these are perfect conditions for a sub 22 second 200m time... A preview of things to come in Doha?

Comment

(Oh and of course if Dina was to win this race, she'd almost certainly be Diamond League champion, meaning that GB could take a 4th runner in the 200m to Doha!)

Comment

• oxfan
        oxfan commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi - remember they have changed the rules, the winner at the final IS the Diamond League champion and gets the wild-card

Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post
      (Oh and of course if Dina was to win this race, she'd almost certainly be Diamond League champion, meaning that GB could take a 4th runner in the 200m to Doha!)
      That's my hope. Ashleigh Nelson deserves a spot, her run at Trials was superb and I think she has a big PB in her legs. 22.8 in her only race with good conditions this year, 23.0 in to a big wind to beat Dobbin in Marseille too. Seems to be SMU v ET tomorrow if the American forums are anything to go by; Not a mention of Dina 🤷🏻‍♂️

Comment

I think on paper they are the top two; SMU hasn’t lost and Thompson has run the time. Would love DAS to win and spoil the party, but she’s so geared towards the Champs it might be too early for that next jump to sub-22 right now, which the winning time will likely be

Comment

Originally posted by jjimbojames View Post
          I think on paper they are the top two; SMU hasn’t lost and Thompson has run the time. Would love DAS to win and spoil the party, but she’s so geared towards the Champs it might be too early for that next jump to sub-22 right now, which the winning time will likely be
          Elaine has her 22.0 at Jamaica Trials, but I don't think any of her other races at either 100 or 200 stack up better than Dina's. SMU is a deserving favourite but I don't think it can be framed as her versus ET.

Comment

• jjimbojames
            jjimbojames commented
            Editing a comment
            I hope you’re right, but her coach has a habit of getting his athletes doing enough to win and then bam! at the Champs. Am surprised SAFP has run so fast in her races post-Trials, tbh

Also we have Cameron Fillery and David King in the non-DL 110 hurdles; an opportunity to chase the QT.

Comment

I’m intrigued as to what form Thompson is in, she was originally in the Birmingham 200 line up before withdrawing, then at the Paris DL one of the commentators mentioned her achilles was still a problem. The 10.98 winning time wasn’t eye catching but it was generally a slow race. Dina looked better at the British champs than she did a week previously against SMU, should be a good race, it will be the only time this year that the top 3 will face each other

Comment

There's already been a surprise early on in Zurich... In the women's triple jump, world leader Yulimar Rojas, could only finish second to Jamacian Shanieka Ricketts. Ricketts, whose previous best of 14.77m was set while winning silver behind Rojas at the recent Pan-Am Games improved upon it with a 14.93m (0.0 m/s) effort in the very last jump of the competition, beating out the Venusualian world champion who also performed her best jump in the last round with 14.74m (+0.1 m/s).

But that was someway behind her world leading 15.11m NR she set while beating Ricketts in the Pan-Am Games and, perhaps more importantly, she misses out on the Diamond League final top prize too.
              Last edited by RunUnlimited; 29-08-19, 19:06.

Comment

Men’s and women’s spear. Quite right too!

I’m rooting for the Swiss underdog Geraldine Restaurant, simply because of her name!

Comment

• Laps
                  Laps commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lovely name Geraldine. ☹️

SMU a class apart, Dina the closest challenger as I expected. Wouldnt be shocked if SMU ends up going for the 200 and dropping the 400 instead. Although, I always remember SMU doesnt drop much time at major champs. Generally runs marginal SBs, so I do think Dina & ET would be a lot closer at Worlds of SMU ran.
                Last edited by Christy93; 29-08-19, 19:55.

Comment

What a pity that the IAAF wouldn’t change the schedule to allow Miller-Uibo to compete - feels like the 200 would have been her title to lose had she been able to compete after that run!

Comment

Originally posted by Ursus View Post
                    Men’s and women’s spear. Quite right too!

I’m rooting for the Swiss underdog Geraldine Restaurant, simply because of her name!
                    Now there's food for thought......

Comment

Shaunae Miller-Uibo is currently the Marie Jose Perec of this generation.... 21.74. Becomes the 17th women ever to run under 21.80 for 200m, goes to joint 11th on the world all time list, breaks the Diamond League record and is the fastest time run since Schippers and Elaine Thompson's epic battle in the 2015 World Championship final.

....And she is not going be in the 200m in Doha!

Say it quietly lads and ladies of this forum...

But with the way she ran for her second fastest time ever behind SMU, and a clear distance ahead of Elaine Thompson and the rest.... I think Dina Asher-Smith could be the favourite for the gold in Doha over 200m.

Comment

• Christy93
                        Christy93 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        She has been the favourite ever since SMU declared her intention not to run imo.

• Johannes Factotum
                        Johannes Factotum commented
                        Editing a comment
                        As a pure athlete, SMU surpasses MJP by far.

Also, I think Shaunae would've ran the 200 this year had she won the 400 in London.

Incredible hurdles race!

Comment

Working...
                      X