Teams for Doha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by larkim View Post
    Grice is on the provisional list in 1500m and 800m? Is that just the normal "reserve" policy showing or have I missed something?

https://www.iaaf.org/news/press-rele...19-entry-lists
    Yes, all reserves have to be entered in the provisional entry submissions. Courtney is also entered as reserve for 1500 and 5000, Mitchell-Blake for 200, Segrave for 800 and Nelson for 200.

Comment

Originally posted by larkim View Post
      Fuss being made of Nick Willis failing to make the NZ team, despite the NZ federation booking him on flights etc. He was within the rankings which would have normally expected to get an invite, but because 4 nations have added their "wild card" athletes to the 1500m pool (because they don't have anyone else qualified) his 42nd position on the performance rankings list has missed out, which has caught NZ and Willis by surprise.
      Yes, it's become apparent from the entries that alot of federations are using the 'sole unqualified athlete' rule to send some no-hopers to the champs, which in turn has filled some number quotas. I suspect us kicking up a fuss over people like Fillery, Gale, Norman etc. not having invites accepted was because they weren't actually invited in the first place. Only one I can definitely say had an invitation turned down was Jessie Knight as there are people below her in the invite list who are entered alongside another athlete from their country.

Comment

• Ladyloz
        Ladyloz commented
        Editing a comment
        Phil Norman definitely had an invite turned down, confirmed by the man himself on Social Media

Seyni from Niger, clear third in the world in the women’s 400m, entered in the 200m only...rumours have been circulating and whilst one cannot tell by looks alone, this seems to confirm them. The issue will be how fast she will / can go and what it means for the 400-1500m ruling

Comment

And we will see whether her "advantage" really is decreased at 200m compared to 400m and above or whether this was just a convenient marker to exclude Semenya previously.

All very messy and needs to be cleared up with clear and transparent rules after the world champs. These cases are not as rare as people may have thought previously and the issues will keep on coming up again in the future. I felt very sorry for the likes of Sharon Davies and Paula Radcliffe for the abuse that they received for supporting the integrity and fairness of women's sport.

Comment

• oxfan
          oxfan commented
          Editing a comment
          The Court (CAS) wanted evidence that there was an advantage. Some of the best evidence the IAAF had was the the changes in performance by Semenya, so her events were the easiest to get a ruling on. I'm sure the IAAF would love to extend the rules BUT they think they would lose at CAS at the moment.

I see a couple of Kenyans have refused to take the testosterone levels test and hence won't be going to Doha: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...W42KE?rpc=401&

Comment

Working...
        X