Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LuckySpikes
    commented on 's reply
    ?? But I was talking about a very specific issue with specific examples. The UK has NOT been complicit in employing athletes with drugs bans to such positions of authority.

• LoveSprints1
    replied
    Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post

LOL, they have no shame in the US. A drugs ban? No problem, we're happy to give you a job coaching impressionable 19 year olds! Dennis Mitchell another example, appointed by USATF to coach the US relay squad!

Imagine Linford Christie trying to get a coaching job at Loughborough. I don't think it would happen. Certainly he's persona non grata with UKA, getting refused accreditation and not getting invited to events.
    A little bit pot and kettle!. We (the UK) seem to have been pretty good at turning a blind eye to sexually abusive/ inappropriate behaviour and bullying and harassment and either ignoring or shifting the problem elsewhere. Plus we had an era of drug abuse allegedly condoned by some of the people running our sport.

It's all awful and wrong, but we cannot point fingers unless looking in the mirror also!

Leave a comment:

• marra
    replied
    What a classy comment...

Leave a comment:

• jjimbojames
    replied
    Money talks, for sure - and agreed, it’s not just an American thing!

Leave a comment:

• marra
    replied
    Originally posted by jjimbojames View Post
    To be honest, I think it probably shows how little impact T&F has in the US. ‘Major’ sports would avoid the scandal but there’s no real news outside of the Olympics for athletics
    Lol if you think that US sports would avoid scandal, you clearly don't watch US sports very often. As with almost any sport, money talks. If somebody can help you be more successful, they'll get a job somewhere. It takes a lot to become persona non grata.

Also, whilst I would say that the US is pretty brazen about it, it's hardly uniquely American to have people involved in sport who have been involved in controversy previously! Again, sadly, money and success is the driver, the world over.

Leave a comment:

• trickstat
    commented on 's reply
    I think North Carolina A&T in recent years has gained a reputation as a traditionally minor college that has been mixing it with the more-established big names. I now wonder whether they are just the Turkey of the NCAA.

• jjimbojames
    replied
    To be honest, I think it probably shows how little impact T&F has in the US. ‘Major’ sports would avoid the scandal but there’s no real news outside of the Olympics for athletics

Leave a comment:

• LuckySpikes
    replied
    Originally posted by LoveSprints1 View Post
    ... Former Head Coach Duane Ross is Randolph Ross's father and he was an Olympian who served a drugs ban, caught up in the BALCO drugs conspiracy. Duane Ross has literally just moved to the University of Tennessee as Director of Track and Field.
    LOL, they have no shame in the US. A drugs ban? No problem, we're happy to give you a job coaching impressionable 19 year olds! Dennis Mitchell another example, appointed by USATF to coach the US relay squad!

Imagine Linford Christie trying to get a coaching job at Loughborough. I don't think it would happen. Certainly he's persona non grata with UKA, getting refused accreditation and not getting invited to events.

Leave a comment:

• LoveSprints1
    replied
    It is very sad. Grace Nwokocha is only 21. The University of North Carolina programme is tainted after this second suspension. Former Head Coach Duane Ross is Randolph Ross's father and he was an Olympian who served a drugs ban, caught up in the BALCO drugs conspiracy. Duane Ross has literally just moved to the University of Tennessee as Director of Track and Field. It will be interesting to see how his athletes perform there.

Following from Wikipedia:

Following the analysis of information received from BALCO in 2010, Duane Ross was called to testify in a case against his coach Trevor Graham. The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) suspended Ross for two years for attempted use, possession, and trafficking of performance-enhancing drugs.[6] As a term of his suspension, all his results from November 2001 onward were nullified.

Leave a comment:

• jjimbojames
    commented on 's reply
    Not a great advert for going there, is it!

• Occasional Hope
    commented on 's reply
    She's at North Carolina A&T, and a team mate of Randolph Ross who was suspended just before the WCs. The coach there is Duane Ross.

• Runner88
    replied
    England women’s team promoted to a gold in the womens 4x100m relay?

Does anyone know her coach in the NCAA and the group she trains with?

Leave a comment:

• Occasional Hope
    commented on 's reply
    Ostarine and ligandrol. Both are selective androgen receptor modulators (which help muscle growth) sometimes found in supplements.

• Chafford1
    replied
    Nwokocha confirmed as being provisionally suspended.

Leave a comment:

• Occasional Hope
    commented on 's reply
    Grace Nwokocha apparently.
Working...
X