Latest doping news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gabriella View Post
    Yes, Athlete 2 is alleged to be a 25 yr old, fellow Nigerian, in the same training group as Okagbare, with links to Texas. He also has a 'spiritual' name.....
    "Divine" Oduduru, I believe is the athlete you are talking about.... Turned 25 last October. Ran for Texas Tech University. Made headlines by winning the NCAA Division 1 Outdoor Championship 100m/200m double in wind legal times of 9.88 (+0.8m/s) and 19.73 (+0.8m/s) on the same day in 2019.
    Last edited by RunUnlimited; 14-01-22, 03:26.

Comment

• Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post

"Divine" Oduduru, I believe is the athlete you are talking about.... Turned 25 last October. Ran for Texas Tech University. Made headlines by winning the NCAA Division 1 Outdoor Championship 100m/200m double in wind legal times of 9.88 (+0.8m/s) and 19.73 (+0.8m/s) on the same day in 2019.
      I couldn't possibly comment...

Comment

• An NCAA athlete cheating?? Surely not.🙄

Comment

• In unsurprising news, confirmation today that the relay medal has been stripped.

Comment

• Blessing Okagbare landed with a stonking TEN YEARS ban. World Athletics v Blessing Okagbare - Decision (athleticsintegrity.org)

Comment

• Originally posted by marra View Post
            In unsurprising news, confirmation today that the relay medal has been stripped.
            Go **** yourself CJ Ujah. I want the guy shunned from UK athletics when he returns from his ban, and not be allowed to run for the relay squad ever again.

Prize prat that lad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
              Blessing Okagbare landed with a stonking TEN YEARS ban. World Athletics v Blessing Okagbare - Decision (athleticsintegrity.org)
              Ya know, the most ironic thing about this is that last year, on Eurosport I believe, they had a series of programs looking back at past Olympic Games as they prepared for coverage of Tokyo 2020 (+1)... It had the highs, lows and controversies that have been a part of virtually all Olympics and in this particular episode it was looking at events from Beijing 2008.

It mentioned the women's long jump contest, and the controversy that surrounded it. At the time, Lyudmula Blonska's failed drugs test following the heptathlon was the main issue, and her subsequently being tossed out of the Olympics altogether before she could contest the long jump final that she had also qualified for. The main beneficiary of this decision? Of course it was Blessing Okagbare, then a 19 year old who was a long and triple jumper rather than the sprinter she would eventually become. She'd originally not qualified for the long jump final, missing out by one place, but with Blonska booted out of Beijing, the young Nigerian got a reprieve and was upgraded into the final.
              Once there, she would set a PB with her opening effort (6.91m) and that would be enough to earn Blessing an Olympic bronze medal. The program then showed an interview she gave around the time of the London Olympics where she went over those events in Beijing, and it was most interesting to see her talking about the problems of doping in athletics and how it had affected her directly in this case. By the time that interview was being given, we'd learned that the gold medal winner, Russia's Tatiana Lebedeva, had failed re-sampled drugs tests in the lead up to Beijing (as part of the Russian mass doping scandal) and her gold medal would eventually be stripped from her too and Okagbare upgraded to a silver.

Watching Okagbare opine about the dangers of doping, and how the sport had to work harder to clean itself up, was HILARIOUS, especially knowing by the time this program was shown that allegations about her were swirling around online.

Enjoy your ban Blessing. You earned it you darned hypocrite.
              Last edited by RunUnlimited; 21-02-22, 10:41.

Comment

• Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
                Blessing Okagbare landed with a stonking TEN YEARS ban. World Athletics v Blessing Okagbare - Decision (athleticsintegrity.org)
                Holy ****, I'm reading these filings and they are DAMNING against Blessing Okagbare.

They paint a picture of an athlete who was a seasoned drugs cheat (read the complaint from the FBI regarding the incriminating messages she sent to the person supplying her EPO and hGH, Eric Lira, where she provided a list of drugs that she wanted, including EPO and hGH. Also how she expressed how "pleased she was" with the 100m time she ran last year (10.63 with a 2.7m wind) and told Lira that whatever he had done was working well.)

They also showed a manipulative character who knew how to bend the rules to suit her needs, like how she deliberately missed a test so that it would be a whereabouts miss, because she wanted to avoid getting tested following a recent dosage.

Seeing Okagbare then flail around trying to claim that the AIU had targeted her by leaking the results of the positive B sample to the Nigerian press, that the samples had been incorrectly stored, denying that she'd taken hGH or EPO, or that she'd never known Eric Lira, was just pathetic to read. They had her bang to rights and the 10 year ban was entirely justified.

Based on this ruling, I'd be fairly confident in stating that Okagbare had been cheating for years, considering the evidence presented in the case.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.
                Last edited by RunUnlimited; 19-02-22, 11:21.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
                  Occasional Hope commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Totally agree. I honestly don't how how drugs cheats can feel proud of their times/medals/wins, knowing it's not due to their actual ability or hard work.

• Ladyloz
                  Ladyloz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There are some naive souls out there who think she took up doping for 1 last shot at glory at 33!!!!

Some fingers have been pointed at Rana Reider since her bust, understably. But bear in mind she had not been with him for long, she was coached for years by John Smith. Now there's a man with a murky history. A number of his athletes failed tests over the year and no doubt others got away with it.

• trickstat
                  trickstat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes I doubt she had only just started doping. More like she got a bit desperate and careless and got caught.

• Incidentally Leon Reid's been given a suspended sentence for his non-PED drugs criminal case (sounds as though his involvement was very tangential), so I guess he'll be back in action: Irish sprinter Leon Reid sentenced for allowing his flat to be used to produce crack cocaine - Independent.ie

Operation Venetic – 26 year sentence for commercial scale drug dealer at the hub of major conspiracies | South West ROCU (swrocu.police.uk)
                Last edited by Occasional Hope; 19-02-22, 11:08.

Comment

• Interesting Times article today about Reider’s set up, worth a read if you can get behind the paywall.

Some smart words, as ever, from Christian Taylor. Less flattering on Gemili and I hope he and Nielsen have the brains to get out of there.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
                    Editing a comment
                    Very interesting. I honestly lost a lot of respect for Gemili when he decided to stay with Reider last year.

• Sovietvest
                    Sovietvest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If Gemili has a good reason for staying with Reider - for example, if he truly believes Reider is innocent of the sexual misconduct allegations and knew nothing about Okagbare’s doping - then he needs to say so. Refusing to comment leaves a vacuum in which people will start to speculate about him and doping.
                    Why any coach would accept an athlete like Okagbare into his group, who had been coached by John Smith is beyond me.

• Laps
                    Laps commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Disagree with these comments. Gemili's sticking by his coach and in refusing to be treated as an subserviant employee of UKA he has my respect.
                    Understandable that the journalist arriving uninvited at Gemili's place of work intent on digging dirt got the response he did.
                    Gemili speaking up would just fan the flames whatever he said. If he said what Sovietvest apparently wants him to say there would just be a journalist queue waiting to interrogate him writing click bait items with lurid headlines.
                    The correct thing to do is wait for the investigation to take place and see whether there is any truth in the allegation.
                    The media will always try to force the story onwards regardless of the damage left behind. Why play their game?
                    The Times article's only value is in revealing Taylor's motives which relate to his being president and founder of the Athletics Association and wishing to be distanced from any connection with this doper and doping generally. Also to get away from the drama associated with Reider and to train quietly.
                    Okagbare had been competing for 15 years without a drugs conviction. Why would Reider not accept the business (hindsight excepted)?
                    Last edited by Laps; 22-02-22, 22:33.

• Daryll Neita on Okagbare:

The Blessing thing was just disgusting. It's any athlete's nightmare, much less someone you train with and see every day.

'It took me a while to really come to terms with all that situation because to be around someone every day, you're cool with them… you have no idea what these people are doing when they go home.

Honestly, I just feel like that's not an athlete. She didn't just steal from competitors, she stole a lot from us – we saw her every day, at practice together, doing reps together. Any athlete that has those kind of thoughts or intentions to do that kind of thing should just quit now.

It sucks because I joined that group with Olympic champions, world champions and it's so inspirational, and for somebody to come into the group, hasn't been there for longer than a year and to bring that to it and the people that are there, the people who hold so much legacy and talent, it's absolutely disgusting to do that to people's careers.
                  From Daryll Neita accuses UK Athletics of blackmail by threatening to withdraw funding | Daily Mail Online

Comment

• trickstat
                    trickstat commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I wonder if it would have felt less like "blackmail" if British Athletics had been more pro-active in helping arrange an alternative coach for her?

• Isn’t she going out with CJ Ujah? I’m assuming she’s OK with it because Blessing was such a calculated plan and he has told her he just had tainted supps?

Comment

• Occasional Hope
                    Editing a comment
                    I thought they had split up some time ago?

• jjimbojames
                    jjimbojames commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Fair enough - thought they were together last year

• Italian race walker Alex Schwazer's appeal against a 2nd doping ban that was filed shortly before the Rio Olympics (14 July 2016), has been thrown out and he is handed an 8 year ban.

He'd contended that the adverse urine sample collected on 1st January 2016, which had initially turned up as negative but then in a later resampling in March showed signatures of steroid usage, had been mishandled by doping control and that he was also possibly part of a campaign by jealous rivals to take advantage of his chequered doping history (he'd been done for EPO on the of London 2012 and was still serving his 4 year ban when this occurred) and had his sample sabotaged. This was apparently as a result of him resuming competing in May that year and winning the Race Walking Team Championship in Rome by over 3 and a half minutes.....

Schwazer had even gone so far as to employ prominent doping control officials, approved by WADA, to over see his lead up to being eligible again for competition, which included a leading anti-doping advocate, Professor Alessandro Donati, who had been the one leading figures in landing Schwazer's original ban in 2012, and he'd gone through a rigorous program of "private testing" which results were given to the national doping control agency for examination.

To say that WADA and World Athletics took a dim view of these claims of innocence would be very much and understatement.

Read the details for yourself here - a link to the review of the evidence
                  https://www.wada-ama.org/en/news/pos...ed-new-reports

And here - a link to how the CAS panel eventually reached their verdict
                  https://jurisprudence.tas-cas.org/Sh...ments/4707.pdf

The lengths that some athletes will go to just to try and circumvent the rules....

Comment

• Not news, exactly, but an interesting interview with Bernice Wilson (banned for positive tests in 2011 and 2015) about how her abusive partner/coach/drug supplier: Bernice Wilson exclusive: 'I was abused and forced into doping by my coach' (telegraph.co.uk)

Comment

• Well, isn't this lovely: After serving four-year doping ban, Manpreet Kaur smashes own shot put national record | More sports News - Times of India (indiatimes.com)

Comment

• trickstat
                        trickstat commented
                        Editing a comment
                        She tested positive 4 times in 2017! So there's certainly not that tiny bit of doubt that might exist for a single positive test. In a righteous athletics world she would be banned for life.

• Occasional Hope
                        Editing a comment
                        Quite. At least she'll be well and truly on WADA's radar. I wonder how long before the inevitable?

• Walsh7
                        Walsh7 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I heard that Kaur is now being coached by Justin Gatlin!
                    Working...
                    X