Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laura did what Ingebrigtsen couldn’t.

Comment

Laura, Queen of Scots! Devastating last 400 run in 57.2.

Comment

Disaster for Morgan Lake though... Having set a new pb of 1.97m in February and looking confident coming into the Euro Indoors, she flops in the High Jump final, only clearing 1.91m before bowing out at 1.94m.

And the enigma that is Lake continues to frustrate as much as she intriques with her obvious talent.

Comment

A first Euro Indoor gold for Azerbaijan too - Nazim Babayev in the Triple Jump. Probably their first senior gold indoors or outdoors?

Comment

• RunUnlimited
            RunUnlimited commented
            Editing a comment
            Very likely to be true LuckySpikes... I've been keeping an eye on Babayev ever since he won gold at the Euro Juniors in 2015, when he smashed the chamionship record with a 17.04m leap - not only a World Junior leading performance that year, it was also an outright Azerbaijan senior TJ record!

He has shown steady improvement in the years following and now 21, has a senior title. Let's see where he goes from here.

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
          A first Euro Indoor gold for Azerbaijan too - Nazim Babayev in the Triple Jump. Probably their first senior gold indoors or outdoors?

Didn't Ibrahimov win the 3000m for Azerbaijan in Göteborg 2013?

Comment

Originally posted by fchd View Post

Didn't Ibrahimov win the 3000m for Azerbaijan in Göteborg 2013?
            Yes, you're dead right. Duff information from Phil Minshull on the Eurovision feed and I'd forgotten about Ibrahimov's win too.

Comment

Well, a very enjoyable championships.

But then I always enjoy any championships really - the Mediterranean Games, the Asian Games, the Euro U23s etc. You can't beat it when medals are on the line.

25 out of the 49 entered nations won a medal. Good to see the likes of Bulgaria, Cyprus, Azerbaijan & Slovakia getting on the top step of the podium.

Edit: I notice the great nation of ANA aren't on the medal table so really it's 26 nations.
              Last edited by LuckySpikes; 03-03-19, 22:19.

Comment

Just a few random thoughts on the weekend.
                1) Muir of 2019 vintage would have won last year's World Champs. This courtesy of Letsrun: "Genzebe Dibaba won World Indoors in 8:45.05 with a 61.62 final 400 and 30.44 last lap (Muir was third in that race, .73 behind). Muir’s winning time today was almost 15 seconds faster, and her last 400 (60.20) and 200 (28.32) were significantly faster as well." For a while I've felt she was the most underrated sports person in Britain (name a clean athlete who has run 1500 faster than her - she's the moral WR-holder) but I think now she's truly entered the wider public consciousness.
                2) Warholm can run 44.30 outdoors and take Schoenlebe's record. That said, I think 400mH'ers often handle the disrupted rhythm of a 400 indoors better than the flat runners (e.g. PSD, Child, Kerron Clement , Nicola Sanders, Sabine Busch etc).
                3) Looking at Rachel Miller - the latest in a long line of incredibly conditioned sprinters coached by Linford Christie - I wonder what Linford could do with Asha Philip.
                4) I enjoyed the contrast between Svoboda in Torun - all Instagram selfie pouts and poses - with Svobada in Galsgow - completely overtaken by genuine emotion, with no posing or pouting.
                5) No Guy Learmonth, you would not have been reinstated had you finished. You were (rightly) Dq'd!

Comment

Originally posted by treadwater1 View Post
                  I was particularly impressed by Mbongo the Belgian who went from 52.60 in the heats to 51.62 in the final, looking at her tila page she's only focused on the 400 in the last few years.

warholm was incredibly impressive, in the context of flat speed improving his hurdles, I think you can say he's as quick now as Benjamin and McMaster and not far off Samba.
                  Hmm, impressive indeed, though I don't think he's any faster than McMaster, Benjamin or Samba. I think they could do exactly same.

Comment

Originally posted by Sovietvest View Post
                    3) Looking at Rachel Miller - the latest in a long line of incredibly conditioned sprinters coached by Linford Christie - I wonder what Linford could do with Asha Philip.
                    I've hesitated to mention this as Asha deserves so much admiration for the way she battled that horrific injury and reached international/world class. However, she has plateaued and I wondered if better 'conditioning' might yield further improvement. I think the same about Holly and Laura Samuels too.

Comment

Working...
                    X