Aw - please sort out the spam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aw - please sort out the spam

I got in touch with AW at the end of April asking about the spam. I received a quick reply saying that their web developers were looking into it.

Quick as a flash nothing’s happened and It’s worse than ever. Come on AW, I’m sure it wouldn’t take too much to sort this out. Other forums I contribute to just don’t have this kind of problem.

What it needs is for any new member's first post to be held back for moderation to see if it's legit. This would be inconvenient for new members with genuine intentions, but necessary it seems. The problem is that it's out-of-the-box forum software that maybe doesn't have that feature. Or, maybe it does but AW themselves don't want to do the moderating? In which case, I'm sure there'd be volunteers among our number who would willingly do it. A couple of people could even share the responsibility - one day on, one day off style.

I'm sure they're already removing accounts of spammers but the b*****ds keep signing up with new accounts.
    Last edited by LuckySpikes; 18-08-19, 00:45.

Comment

• Alanx7
      Alanx7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds a good idea......I have never encountered such spamming on any site I follow. Embarrasing is not a strong enough word to describe it..

Certainly, something needs to be done - genuine newcomers would look at the front page and walk away!

Comment

I wrote to AW on this very topic a few days ago and heard nothing of course. I am sure their social media/ IT manager is very busy but as someone pointed out, it is embarrassing to put it politely and can easily put off new comers as well as the old guard.

Comment

Yes, it's dreadful.

Allowing member-moderators to delete spam would be a step forward too.

Comment

Yes I am guessing several of us would be willing to spam delete if asked.
          This is sheer laziness by AW. No excuse. They clearly put an extremely low priority on having a website and a forum.
          I run a website on another subject and have yet to come across a responsible website that allows spam to run riot like AW.

Comment

Indeed, the spam would never be tolerated if it infiltrated the 'social media de jour' (twitter et al) ... This message board is one of my few destinations when it comes to online chit-chat but it is clear to me that AW afford it a very low priority, but where else is an athletics fan to go for a bit of real time banter when the big meets are on and some good past match analysis.

Having said that, I did notice one or two new members posting recently, so they must be made of resilient stuff to cut through all that spam...

if SteveK26 was still active he'd be the ideal chap to be a moderator, or how about Rununlimited...

Comment

I'm a longtime reader of the forum and have recently started posting. I would hate to see it go or dwindle with fewer voices. Hope the spam situation gets sorted quickly...

Comment

i asked for lucky spikes and a couple of others to become admin a couple of months ago, didnt hear anything back

Comment

I've sent private messages a couple of times to the aw admin on the board and they have tidied it up. But something needs to be done, this is the worst board I've ever seen for spam, especially in relation to the actual volume of real traffic.

Comment

Not sure why they’re targeting this forum - numbers viewing are hardly likely to yield a massive return!

Comment

Originally posted by larkim View Post
                      I've sent private messages a couple of times to the aw admin on the board and they have tidied it up. But something needs to be done, this is the worst board I've ever seen for spam, especially in relation to the actual volume of real traffic.
                      It seems to get worse every day and its becoming quite frustrating TBH.

Comment

Thank you all for your messages. We are not sure why our forum attracts so much spam, either! But we really are trying to get it sorted. At the moment we are manually clearing the spam and blocking obvious spam accounts - we didn't want to have to restrict new sign-up access, though this is something we are now looking into.

We care a lot about our website and our forum and appreciate people's suggestions for user moderation, however so far these have come from some users suggesting other users for the role - if any individuals are keen themselves to take on a role like this, please do get in touch. We have our web developer looking into various options to improve things as we speak, so it may be that we can control the spam levels to an acceptable level without further moderation, but if user moderation does become an option, perhaps we can have further conversations with people who might be interested.

Thank you for continuing to visit our forum when the user experience has not been to the level you would expect. We really do hope that we can return it to a platform which you all enjoy using again.

AW

Comment

• Laps
                          Laps commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Aw admin - I would be willing to volunteer for deleting spam providing there was one other person able to do this on a fair shared basis. I know that spam deletion can be time consuming on websites with very large amounts, but this is not the case here. Thank you for your reply.

• AW admin
                          AW admin commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hi Laps, thank you for offering to help us. We will try a couple of final solutions which we hope will prevent the spam but if this doesn't work we will be in touch. Thank you, AW

• LuckySpikes
                          LuckySpikes commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'd be willing to share moderation/spam deletion with Laps or whomever else. Hopefully, a better solution can be found though.

I stopped using here for a while because the spam was making it impossible to browse through. Would definitely encourage moderation now that the World Champs are approaching.

Comment

Originally posted by Afrothletics View Post
                          I stopped using here for a while because the spam was making it impossible to browse through. Would definitely encourage moderation now that the World Champs are approaching.
                          Might have to take another break... when you have to go to page 3 just to see an actual thread it's a bit ridiculous!

AW is anything being done about this???

Comment

• Laps
                            Laps commented
                            Editing a comment
                            With the World Champs coming up now is the time to tackle this, AW admin.
                            It really won't be that difficult to stamp on it.
                        Working...
                        X