No announcement yet.

British Championships 24-25th August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Coppell does deserve a big congratulations and his 5.71m was a CBP which was a surprise. I'm sure Charlie Myers will still go.

I hope tomorrow will see a few more Coppell like performances.

Comment

• Toby Harries has a breakthrough in the 400m down to 46.36, that ranks him 5th fastest so far this year. European junior champion over 200m back in 2017. Finished 4th over 200m at the Euro U23 this year.

Comment

• again my usual gripe... there should be seaon's best posted everywhere but a cursory glance suggests to me a disappointing proportion, conditions are good so no excuse.... I know i am one of those old foggies who hark back to better days, but I am sure there were years where a mid 45 might not have got you into the final of M400, let alone mid 46...

Comment

• trickstat
          trickstat commented
          Editing a comment
          Although we have had many far stronger years I am pretty sure there was never a year where you had to run mid 45s to get through. I think there was one year though in which every qualifier in the semis broke 46.

• Originally posted by carterhatch View Post
        again my usual gripe... there should be seaon's best posted everywhere but a cursory glance suggests to me a disappointing proportion, conditions are good so no excuse.... I know i am one of those old foggies who hark back to better days, but I am sure there were years where a mid 45 might not have got you into the final of M400, let alone mid 46...
        It's been 20+ years since the heyday of Thomas, Richardson, Black and Baulch happened to be running at roughly the same time and were regular finalists at major championships and competing for medals and running sub 45 seconds regularly.

It's been spotty ever since the turn of the century, with only the occasional runner making some waves for a season or two before disappearing, usually through injuries (Tim Benjamin, Daniel Staines, Micheal Bingham, Rob Tobin and Andrew Steele, with some others, being prime examples).

But it must also be remembered, in the entire history of track and field athletics in Great Britain a grand total of *17* men have managed to run sub 45 seconds. Compare that to the USA who usually have 10 to 12 runners a *year* who manage that feat, and you can understand why the USA always tend to dominate in that event.

Comment

• jjimbojames
          jjimbojames commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking further down, only 36 British men have ever run better than 45.5!

• Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post

It's been 20+ years since the heyday of Thomas, Richardson, Black and Baulch happened to be running at roughly the same time and were regular finalists at major championships and competing for medals and running sub 45 seconds regularly.

It's been spotty ever since the turn of the century, with only the occasional runner making some waves for a season or two before disappearing, usually through injuries (Tim Benjamin, Daniel Staines, Micheal Bingham, Rob Tobin and Andrew Steele, with some others, being prime examples).

But it must also be remembered, in the entire history of track and field athletics in Great Britain a grand total of *17* men have managed to run sub 45 seconds. Compare that to the USA who usually have 10 to 12 runners a *year* who manage that feat, and you can understand why the USA always tend to dominate in that event.
        The current British 400m runners are decididly second rate and no excuses about Americans since that is not relevant to the original post.Surely,no knowledgable poster surely expected better than the indifferent stuff seen today; the Brits will go to Doha with DAS, Muir, if fit, and KJT as our only serious contenders for medals in my opinion and the general preformance levels now of our best athletes is poor.As for our field eventers, what can one say?
        As for the international scene i wonder whether the long season is going to produce some surprising results in Doha.

Comment

• Originally posted by philipo View Post

The current British 400m runners are decididly second rate and no excuses about Americans since that is not relevant to the original post.Surely,no knowledgable poster surely expected better than the indifferent stuff seen today; the Brits will go to Doha with DAS, Muir, if fit, and KJT as our only serious contenders for medals in my opinion and the general preformance levels now of our best athletes is poor.As for our field eventers, what can one say?
          As for the international scene i wonder whether the long season is going to produce some surprising results in Doha.
          It is extremely relevant, Roger Black won two elite silvers running 44.6 and 44.4. Where does that get you today? Let’s not get too disheartened by our male 400m runners. We won European gold and silver in 2014, had a finalist in 2015 and 2016. MHS missed the final by one place in 2017 and followed it up with the European title, a little perspective please

Comment

• carterhatch
            carterhatch commented
            Editing a comment
            Beyond MHS what is there ... many have promised in recent years Caddick, Thompson, et al but a 46 XX at the National Championships, in world terms, is average

• A quick glance at the Road to Doha lists does show that the men's 400m is not at its strongest in world terms right now

https://www.tilastopaja.com/roadtodoha/index.php

Of the 18 men eligible to go (3 per nation), you can take out Nigel Amos and Samba for sure as they will be in other events. After that there are 16 sub 45 sec men and quite a few have not run under 45 more than once this season...

Comment

• trickstat
            trickstat commented
            Editing a comment
            While you've got the likes of Norman and Kerley in the 43s, there don't seem to be many others churning out regular sub 45s at the moment.

• If you want to see some of the races not shown on the Beeb, then search out Mark Hookway's videos on you tube. For example, he has the women's 400m heats.

Comment

• Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post
            Now begins the selector headaches.... because Asha Philip took the 2nd place in 11.22 and she doesn't have the Doha standard, while Neita who *does* have the standard, came 3rd, and Lansiqote was 6th
            Lansiquot actually does have the standard; she ran 11.24 in the heats at the Anniversary Games.

Comment

• Good spot. I would imagine selectors will take Neita, as she’ll be there for the relay anyway, ran at the Team Champs and still gaining experience. Asha looks capable of the standard, so I hope she finds a race. Lansiquot was out of it after a poor start

Comment

• 17.27 for Ben Williams - great start to the comp for him.

Comment

• carterhatch
                  carterhatch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  that is very impressive ... I hope to see it on the Beeb

• fucking hell, stop talking pish and get the two hours of action we have missed on

Comment

• shut the fuck up gabby

Comment

• Originally posted by Laps
                    The BBC hate live athletics.
                    Why are we watching stuff that happened YESTERDAY? I mean heck, show the stuff that was missed just in last half hour, like the frigging 200m heats for men and women!

Comment

• Terrible run from Nielsen in the 400m hurdles. Way down the field and was never in contention from about halfway onwards. Beesley and Turner book their places to Doha, while Jessie Knight runs a new PB of 56.31, just outside the Doha standard. In 4th place also setting a PB was Lauren Thompson, going under 57 seconds for the first time with 56.94.

Comment

• Ladyloz
                        Ladyloz commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Lina's been doing hurdles for a while now and it's not working out. Wonder if she might be better off focusing on the flat.
                    Working...
                    X