No announcement yet.

British Championships 24-25th August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A quick glance at the lists of accepted on Women's sprint and I welcome the inclusion of Desiree Henry on both 100/200 ... Interesting to also see Maya Bruney who I'd have hoped had kicked on from two years ago, accepting both 100/400 with heats on same day within an hour Also noted an acceptance from Sophie Papps, but not a Hylton sister in sight ... pity no Lorraine Ugen on the 100, I say this as I truly believe her involvement in the commonwealth relay boosted her confidence, and took her long jump to the next level ... having said that this years trials in LJ is going to be a must watch.

Last edited by carterhatch; 20-08-19, 13:41.

Comment

is saturday on the red button? cant see any mention of it anywhere

Comment

• Occasional Hope
        Occasional Hope commented
        Editing a comment
        It doesn't look they're showing Saturday anywhere. They're using the red button on Saturday for football scores and showing equestrian events and hockey online.

Originally posted by carterhatch View Post
      A quick glance at the lists of accepted on Women's sprint and I welcome the inclusion of Desiree Henry on both 100/200 ... Interesting to also see Maya Bruney who I'd have hoped had kicked on from two years ago, accepting both 100/400 with heats on same day within an hour Also noted an acceptance from Sophie Papps, but not a Hylton sister in sight ... pity no Lorraine Ugen on the 100, I say this as I truly believe her involvement in the commonwealth relay boosted her confidence, and took her long jump to the next level ... having said that this years trials in LJ is going to be a must watch.
      Was going to post about this actually.... Good to see Henry there, though whether she does both the 100 and 200 is yet to be seen, especially since she has only raced 5 times outdoors this season (3 100m races, 2 200m races), and her last appearance was back in June.

Papps is making her first appearance at a British Championships since 2016 ( the year she set her current PB of 11.27 aged 22). She has been beset by injuries ever since and hasn't raced at all this year, so it's likely that she won't be much of a factor at all.

Maya Bruney has, like Papps, been hobbled by injuries since her breakthrough season in 2017, winning the European U-20 200m title in 23.04 (into a stiff headwind at that). Then she picked up an injury at the Geneva meeting in 2018 and hasn't been the same ever since. I'd be not surprised if she drops out of the 100m and will be in the 400m heats instead.

The Hylton sisters... Again, injuries. Cherise hasn't run competitively since July 30th last year, while Shannon pulled up injured at the István Gyulai Memorial meeting in Hungary on July 9th and hasn't taken to the track again.

As for Ugen, just have a look at what running the 100m has done for Malakia Mihambo's confidence and form on the long jump runway so far this year, with like 6 or 7 straight competitions jumping over 7 meters. Ugen seems to have dropped the sprinting this year and her results have shown a marked drop in quality and distance....

Comment

Originally posted by drobbie View Post
        is saturday on the red button? cant see any mention of it anywhere
        Looks like it unfortunately, or on the BBC online service.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
          Editing a comment
          Worse - not at all afaics.

• Ladyloz
          Ladyloz commented
          Editing a comment
          On the Birmingham DL coverage it stated that the Saturday was on the BBC website & App from 2PM

• Occasional Hope
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Ladyloz, I tend to zone out of those bits.

thanks for filling in some detail RunUnlimited,... from my small sample, you'd think there was catastrophic levels of injury among young British female sprinters ...

casting my eye over the women's 400 I am baffled by the absence of Finette Agyapong for this event ... she is on 'Olympic Relay' funding, accepted for the 200m at trials, but I would think unlikely to figure on the 4x100 squad .. so is this a case of not knowing what her best event is, or realising that 400 is not for her ... someone did mention to watch out for young Yasmin Liverpool to see if she might make a late claim for a relay berth... Pleased to see that PSD might be running healthy at least - oh what could have been.

KJT is 'accepted' for 100 hurdles and HJ, after Thiam's amazing efforts in the later, I wonder if KJT can find some extra time on her rival in the former ...
        Last edited by carterhatch; 20-08-19, 17:18.

Comment

another observation from glancing at the acceptance lists is how women in the middle distance events seem to have come to a 'tacit' agreement, and done a sort of pre-selection to avoid complications, with Ms..Muir not running, by this I mean, Macdonald and Reekie aren't having to face McColgan and Weightman in the 1500 ... in contrast, the men's 1500 has all 5 with the standard, and that wont go into 3 neatly

and a PS, Lawrence Okoye is 'accepted' for the Discus, though sadly neither he or Youcef Zatat are down for the 400

Last edited by carterhatch; 20-08-19, 17:58.

Comment

Originally posted by carterhatch View Post
            thanks for filling in some detail RunUnlimited,... from my small sample, you'd think there was catastrophic levels of injury among young British female sprinters ...

casting my eye over the women's 400 I am baffled by the absence of Finette Agyapong for this event ... she is on 'Olympic Relay' funding, accepted for the 200m at trials, but I would think unlikely to figure on the 4x100 squad .. so is this a case of not knowing what her best event is, or realising that 400 is not for her ... someone did mention to watch out for young Yasmin Liverpool to see if she might make a late claim for a relay berth... Pleased to see that PSD might be running healthy at least - oh what could have been.

KJT is 'accepted' for 100 hurdles and HJ, after Thiam's amazing efforts in the later, I wonder if KJT can find some extra time on her rival in the former ...
            Further on PSD... I've said it here before, and I'll say it again, if Perri hadn't smashed that hurdle in the 2013 World Championships, she would have won a medal. And without the injury that effectively ended her 400m hurdling career, she would have been at least the 2nd Brit to run sub 53 seconds in the event... and in my opinion, would have broken Sally Gunnell's British record too.... "Oh what could have been", indeed.

On KJT.... I'd be happy to see her getting as close to 13 seconds flat and 2 meters as possible this weekend.

Comment

Kat really still hasn’t had a breakthrough in the hurdles. Her height makes it tougher but I’d love to see her close to 13 - she has the flat speed to run at least that.

Comment

Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post

Further on PSD... I've said it here before, and I'll say it again, if Perri hadn't smashed that hurdle in the 2013 World Championships, she would have won a medal. And without the injury that effectively ended her 400m hurdling career, she would have been at least the 2nd Brit to run sub 53 seconds in the event... and in my opinion, would have broken Sally Gunnell's British record too.... "Oh what could have been", indeed.

On KJT.... I'd be happy to see her getting as close to 13 seconds flat and 2 meters as possible this weekend.
                you might as well say if i hadnt knocked the bar down i would have been a medallist . PSD fouled up when it was important not to do so and since then has been unable to be an elite athlete ; sad but it happened.

Comment

• carterhatch
                  carterhatch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  oh Phillipo, a little harsh, even you must dream a little.

With the news that Christian Coleman missed 3 straight drugs tests and could be facing an imminent ban, the men's 100m in Doha might just have opened up a little bit. Perhaps it would be a good time for one of the British sprinters to put in a performance and time this weekend that could put them in the frame for medals in the World Champs?

Comment

another observation i have made in the lead up to the weekend is the large number of acceptance for the W400H, much more then the men's (also compare it to the number of women in the hammer), and I know that the race will not be of a world class standing, but it is going to be very open and competitive, with maybe some pre race 'favourites' not even making the final...

I would be curious to know why the entry list is so large and an event proving so popular ... and I wonder if there is the next Nicola Sanders lurking within only to emerge in the next indoor season...
                  Last edited by carterhatch; 22-08-19, 15:55.

Comment

Just bumping this:

http://extranet.britishathletics.org...able/Index/165

(the spam hides here buries everything, plus the British Athletics website is its usual awkward self - very hard to navigate directly)

Comment

Our guide to the Müller British Athletics Championships is now live online, featuring previews, lists of qualified athletes so far, a timetable, TV info and more. Hopefully it's a handy resource for the weekend ahead! https://www.athleticsweekly.com/even...en-1039924440/

Comment

A quick glance at AW's preview of the weekend and it's mentioned that there will be a 'tussle' in the W200 with Amy Hunt running, but she is not on the acceptance list ... plus Prescod would be 'waiting on selectors’ discretion if he returns to fitness in time' - wishful thinking?

Comment

• AW admin
                          AW admin commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks! Updated

• carterhatch
                          carterhatch commented
                          Editing a comment
                          no problem AW, at least I know someone reads my posts.... now are we all sitting comfotably...

Results page for today:

http://www.uka.org.uk/results/201908...dex/index.html

Comment

Working...
                        X