British Championships 24-25th August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carterhatch View Post
    Mens 800 will be a must watch at the trails, but I fear 'carnage' .... I cant see any of the 1500 lads with the QT actually competing, which may complicate things for the 3rd choice... I dont know how many of the younger generation will figure, but if Burgin does run, and take it out from the front, it will make for a true run spectacle... if it is down to just Giles, Langford and Webb, it will be a last bend burn up... I will be interested to see if Staines does turn up, how he might be a spanner in the works... fact is, some one is going to be very disappointed ...

in contrast the m400 might as well be a zimmer frame contest ....
    Burgin is the wild card in the men's 800m.... Had he run in the Euro U-20's as planned (and won the gold medal, he was that far ahead of the rest of Europe's U-20's), that would have pretty much been the end of his season. He likely would have run the Birmingham Diamond League as a way to show his talent to the wider athletic's watching public, then shut his season down. But of course, he picked up that minor leg injury that prevented him from competing in Boras last month and I have a strange feeling that, depending on how his run this weekend in Birmingham goes, that if he does something special, he'll go to the Trials to try and qualify for the Doha team.
    As you point out, Max is a natural front runner and will make it a true run race that will test the abilities of the rest to hang on... And we have to remember this... Burgin front ran his 1:45 in Bedford and I think he's more than capable of doing that again if need be. If so, then someone will have to be on top of their game and be prepared to potentially run sub 1:45 just to get into the British team!

The men's 400m meanwhile has the prospect of being pretty poor in standard. Rabah Yousif (NOT Yousef Zatat!) has the Doha standard and has run mostly OK so far this season. I see him being in the top 2 at the trials. But as for the rest? Cameron Chalmers was good at the Euro U-23's and got a well deserved silver, but I'm not sure he'll be able to get into the top 2 places, nor run fast enough to be considered on times. MHS would be the obvious favourite, but has been struggling all season with injury and unless he produces an exceptional run in Birmingham this Sunday in the DL meet, I'm not sure he'll be much of a factor.
    Martyn Rooney is done. The End.
    Dwayne Cowan will give it his all, but his ETC performance, the 11 points for 2nd place notwithstanding, doesn't look like he is in the sort of shape to run the 45.30 he needs to go to Doha.

Comment

The men's 1500 will be interesting too. Grice has run that very fast time, but in the past hasn't proved himself to be as good a racer as Wightman and O'Hare and didn't make the team last year. If he doesn't get top two I wouldn't be surprised if BA pick him for the third spot anyway. Kerr ran a PB back in June but didn't look that good in London. I'd pick Wightman for the win.

I'd expect Laura Weightman to win the 1500 if that's the one she chooses, and my money would be on Jemma Reekie to get the other spot.

Comment

Originally posted by treadwater1 View Post
        I hadn't contemplated Muir doing the 800/1500 until you mentioned it, would she want to? She does hold the UK lead but would be pushing out another very good athlete, I suspect she will stick with the 15, its her favoured event and she would be fatigued after 3 800 rounds

Neita over Lansiquot in the 100 for the second spot for me. Neita has got into the knack of producing good runs at trials and has looked better than Lansiquot of late. I wouldn't rule out Awuah for third place, she ran extremely well in Glasgow

Jamie Webb is the favourite in the 800 based on his London run, he's one of our most improved athletes this season
        why shouldnt she do both if she wants? shes our best 1500 metre runner by a mile and may be our best 800 metre runner also, although sharp may have something to say about that

Comment

Originally posted by carterhatch View Post
          Mens 800 will be a must watch at the trails, but I fear 'carnage' .... I cant see any of the 1500 lads with the QT actually competing, which may complicate things for the 3rd choice... I dont know how many of the younger generation will figure, but if Burgin does run, and take it out from the front, it will make for a true run spectacle... if it is down to just Giles, Langford and Webb, it will be a last bend burn up... I will be interested to see if Staines does turn up, how he might be a spanner in the works... fact is, some one is going to be very disappointed ...

in contrast the m400 might as well be a zimmer frame contest ....
          i reckon the 800 and 1500m may be a delight for purists but a great yawn from nervous athletes.Guarantee that after Doha choices are made by the selectors there will be the usual squawking from our athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by drobbie View Post

why shouldnt she do both if she wants? shes our best 1500 metre runner by a mile and may be our best 800 metre runner also, although sharp may have something to say about that
            There is not a chance in hell of Muir running an 800m and a 1500m this w/e ; she will have her work cut out in the 1500m at Doha; 3 tough races full of danger and she is an athlete who will run at least one of those 3 races quite hard. Just recovering from injury and not race fit till September. She will be race fit a couple of weeks before the WC.
            Last edited by philipo; 17-08-19, 05:45.

Comment

According to recent Telegraph article both Prescod and Muir will be absent from the trials.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/athletic...championships/

Somebody also mentioned sending four women in the 200m, but unless DAS wins the Diamond League then I can't see from the selection policy how we could send four. Only the 2017 world champion and 2019 Diamond League winners get an automatic spot.

Some of my thoughts for what they're worth:

Womens 200m: I think Dobbin and Williams should be the top 2, but I think there could be a good battle behind them between A Nelson, Agyapong. Look out for Alisha Rees who I think could make the final and have a little breakthrough. I'm confident she could get the Scottish record in the 100m in the right race.

Womens 1500m: I'm confused by Laura Weightman's plans this season. No sign of her for the Birmingham Diamond League so she is really keeping her powder dry and competitors guessing. I think she will win either the 1500m or the 5000m depending what she enters. McDonald or Reekie is going to miss out on a spot if Weightman opts for the 1500m and Muir doesn't manage another Diamond League win at the finals.

Womens 5000m: Melissa Courtney's form hasn't been consistent and hasn't had a good race in a while. Jess Judd has an excellent chance of making the team as I think she's got the measure of Amy-EloiseNeale in any race. McColgan for the win if Weightman doesn't run. The entry lists have a good depth and I hope someone sets a decent pace. A dawdle round for the first 3k won't do anyone any favours.

Naomi Ogbeta has the knack of jumping her best in the big competitions, and she will need to if she wants to make the team. Slightly disappointing she hasn't been over 14m outdoors this year.

Every year I hope to see more depth in the women's steeplechase and I will have to wait another year to see it happen... With Rosie Clarke, Elizabeth Bird and Aimee Pratt there is potential to send 3 women to Doha which is promising, but the depth falls off a cliff behind those three...

Comment

• carterhatch
                carterhatch commented
                Editing a comment
                welcome to the forum Runner88 ... I say once again about middle distance running, the governing body should take a leaf from cycling for these trials, place a runner or two who will take it out at a pace for the QT, so there is no chance for a 'dawdle' ...

And I don't think we will be seeing Romell Glave and he is down to compete at the Brimingham Diamond League this weekend and is down as representing JAM

Comment

Originally posted by philipo View Post

There is not a chance in hell of Muir running an 800m and a 1500m this w/e ; she will have her work cut out in the 1500m at Doha; 3 tough races full of danger and she is an athlete who will run at least one of those 3 races quite hard. Just recovering from injury and not race fit till September. She will be race fit a couple of weeks before the WC.
                i was talking about the wc, she is ranked 1 in the uk in both events and as i pointed out she probably wont do it because of her injury, however it would be the perfect schedule if she was fully fit

Comment

Originally posted by Runner88 View Post
                  Somebody also mentioned sending four women in the 200m, but unless DAS wins the Diamond League then I can't see from the selection policy how we could send four. Only the 2017 world champion and 2019 Diamond League winners get an automatic spot.
                  That "someone" was me, and you are correct. I thought that the bye into the World Championships also included continental championship winners, but that was obviously wrong on my part. However, Dina does have a chance to that automatic spot.... She's one of the top contenders in the Diamond League race and a victory at the Birmingham event tomorrow would definitely help in that regard.

Comment

Some of my thoughts for what they're worth:

Womens 200m: I think Dobbin and Williams should be the top 2, but I think there could be a good battle behind them between A Nelson, Agyapong. Look out for Alisha Rees who I think could make the final and have a little breakthrough. I'm confident she could get the Scottish record in the 100m in the right race.

Naomi Ogbeta has the knack of jumping her best in the big competitions, and she will need to if she wants to make the team. Slightly disappointing she hasn't been over 14m outdoors this year.
                    I agree with your 1-2 in the women's 200m, Outside of DAS, Dobbin and Jodie Williams have been the best 200m runners in the country this year, and unless someone else in the expect field of finalists really shows some big time form, I don't see that changing.

As for Naomi Ogbeta, she was pretty close to breaking 14m at the ETC, with two of her jumps over 13.80m (best of 13.90m). I feel she's going get over that barrier sooner rather than later... hopefully at the trials.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckySpikes

Continental champions automatically "get the entry standard" for the World Championships. It's then up to their federation whether to send them or not, based on their own selection criteria.
                      *lol* It would be a very brave (or incredibly stupid!) selector who would deny Dina entry on those criteria... (Then again, the whole "Rabah Yousif/Yousef Zatat" situation happened, so you never know!)
                      Last edited by RunUnlimited; 18-08-19, 10:02.

Comment

I too agree that DAS has an excellent chance of winning the Diamond League 200m and opening up another spot for the 200m runners. I would personally like to see Ashleigh Nelson get an individual spot. She's had her share of injuries but she comes back year after year and clearly loves the sport, not to mention she is a safe pair of hands in the relay. Perhaps more focus recently on the 200m has helped with the injuries and I would love to see her give the 400m a crack when she is in shape in the middle of the summer, just like Jodie Williams recently.

Speaking of the 400m, I'm sure that Nielsen and Diamond are going to secure the individual spots. I would place a small bet on young Yasmin Liverpool making the top 3. Zoey Clark looks out of shape, Allcock didn't look great the other weekend and Amber Anning won't be there.

Comment

Speaking of the 400m, I'm sure that Nielsen and Diamond are going to secure the individual spots. I would place a small bet on young Yasmin Liverpool making the top 3. Zoey Clark looks out of shape, Allcock didn't look great the other weekend and Amber Anning won't be there.
                          Yep, Laviai Nielsen and Diamond are my picks for 1-2 at the trials too. Yasmin Liverpool is an interesting pick for 3rd place. Just 20 years old, she went to the European U-23's in the 4 x 4 squad and helped them win the silver medal there, and just over a week and a half ago, ran a 52.79 in Loughborough, a substantial new personal best by over a quarter of a second. If she is in that type of form by the trials, then yeah, I can see her getting ahead of both Zoey Clark and Amy Allcock who have been looking completely out of sorts this year so far.

Comment

KJT to be drafted into the 4x400m team? I think she was asked the question randomly during the Birmingham press conference rather than her bringing it up of her own accord, but with sub 23 second 200m speed and good strength over 800m, I'm sure she has a 52.5ish performance in her at the very least. She certainly didn't turn the idea down.

Personally wouldn't want to see her in the British team on her debut at the World Champs, but if needs must...

Comment

always happy to make a contribution to a relay selection discussion... currently has to be Diamond - XXX - Jodie Wiliams - Laviai Nielsen .... I agree neither Alcock or Clark are looking impressive, but maybe the trials will prove different ... Jessica Turner seems to be making a late claim for a spot... i didn;t realise Anning wasn't running trials so does that preclude her from the World Relays? ... I thought Dobbin had a plan for 400 this year but that hasn't seriously manifested ... KJT? Don't see it happening but I agree there is a storming leg potentially in her...

Comment

Working...
                              X