British Championships 24-25th August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LuckySpikes
    Some of the things that commentators say are very baffling.

On the red button forum Crammy said, "Shelayna, when you come to a championships, performs. British Championships or a major championships."

That might be true indoors but certainly not outdoors.

Here's her outdoor major championships record since her 5th place in the 2015 World Championships.

2016 Olympics: 5th in semi-final
    2017 Worlds: 6th in semi-final
    2018 Commonwealths: went out in the Round 1 heats (effectively semi-finals)
    2018 Europeans: last in the final

Makes me wonder how much fact-checking they actually do.
    None whatsoever.

Unfortunately I think Athletics suffers from the laziest, least analytical commentators and pundits of just about any sport on TV.
    How else do you explain the serially useless Colin Jackson and Denise Lewis, and the inability of even Steve Cram and Tim Hutchings to identify a 5000m field of Kenyans and Ethiopians, leaving them to talk rubbish about nothing but the pace for most of a race. Luckily for them Athletics is an undemanding little sport.

Comment

• On a slight tangent, watching yesterday made it clear there are a number of marketable athletes, who the NGB could well look to, if wanting to promote the sport. They are super-reliant on DAS, KJT and Gemili, but a number of others have great personality and are doing well across a range of events. Their marketing team need to try and capture this now, because the viewing figures with a WC during football season are going to be much lower if there’s no names people recognise beyond the sprints.

Comment

• carterhatch
        carterhatch commented
        Editing a comment
        Jazmin Sawyers is a marketing dream ,,,

• camerajuan
        camerajuan commented
        Editing a comment
        Seconded. She's personable, funny & an absolute staunch competitor on her day. Give me her, Kwakye & Iwan Thomas over Logan et al when she gives up.

• Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post

Well, as some other folks on here have already said about Grice, this situation he now finds himself in is purely down to him... He might not be the most comfortable front running a race, but he was the only one in that field who is in 3:30 shape... He could have controlled things at the front, like Kerr did, and run a 3:38-3:40-ish pace and Bob's-your-uncle, he'd almost certainly be in the top 2 and if the worst came to the worst, he'd be in 3rd place and be virtually assured to get the discretionary place with his Monaco run and time in the bank.
      Instead he's now showed to the selectors (again) that he doesn't race well when the time matters most and even with his 3:30 time, finishing in 4th place, struggling to deal with a tactical race against runners he's beaten on times this year, is going make it difficult for UKA to take him.... especially if Learmonth gets the 800m time he needs this week and prevents Wightman the avenue to get on the squad for the 800m.
      running 3.30 in a DL race is totally irrelevant to the Champs this last w/e. Grice will be an undeserved entrant into the team if selected.

Comment

• trickstat
        trickstat commented
        Editing a comment
        Other than events where athletes don't compete so often (e.g. marathon, 50K walk, the occasional combined eventer), I've long felt that the rankings for the men's 1500m are the least useful as a predictor of Championship results in the sport. As for Grice , for me his case for selection would be stronger if he had repeatedly well beaten the other Brits in several races this year but I don't think they have raced each other many times.

• Originally posted by LuckySpikes

Yes, compare and contrast to cycling. Whether you watch it on Eurosport, ITV4 or the BBC the commentating and analysis is uniformly excellent and informative.

Paula is a waste of space most of the time as well. She often comes out with factually incorrect stuff or just the blindingly obvious and she adds little or nothing IMO.

The Beeb need to ditch Andrew Cotter or Crammy and get Rob Walker doing it all. Now, he is a very good commentator.
      Certainly agree that Paula has little or nothing to add, but not all would agree, i'm sure. However i would miss Crammy.

Comment

• Laps
        Laps commented
        Editing a comment
        Crammy can deliver an excellent commentary, but he so often takes the lazy way out waffling on about the pace and pacemakers rather than identifying and informing the viewers about the many Kenyans and Ethiopians etc and describing the race as it develops. So often the pace is the least interesting thing that's happening. After eight laps of Crammy and Hutchings doing nothing but critiqueing the pacemakers I find myself swearing at the Tele.

• After the UK Members Council are done with Langford, he may find a long holiday awaits (as any other sport would)... His thuggery at Watford may not end with being slapped with a soggy lettuce leaf... He committed a serious assault, I know that the coaching Rep on the Council Toni M has him in the gun... He keeps screwing up... He does not deserve the bus fare to Walsall let alone a trip to Doha,

As for Paula, a non dom tax exile, paying no tax on when she collects her pay cheque courtesy of the licence fee payer then goes back to Monaco, spending only the allowable 12 days in the UK.

Rob Walker does his homework before each event, I have discussed that with him. He would tell you Cram and Hutchings do as well.

Comment

• Runner88
        Runner88 commented
        Editing a comment
        What business it is of yours where Paula Radcliffe chooses to live or raise her family? I don't think she is the best commentator either, but your points are pretty irrelevant to that...

• Originally posted by whatwouldIknow View Post
      After the UK Members Council are done with Langford, he may find a long holiday awaits (as any other sport would)... His thuggery at Watford may not end with being slapped with a soggy lettuce leaf... He committed a serious assault, I know that the coaching Rep on the Council Toni M has him in the gun... He keeps screwing up... He does not deserve the bus fare to Walsall let alone a trip to Doha,
      I'll start by saying that this a genuine question because I really don't know the answer and not a dig in any shape or form but what authority do UK Athletics have over athletes behaviour ? Can they fine them ? kick them out of the sport ? give them a ban ? community service etc ?

Comment

• Sovietvest
        Sovietvest commented
        Editing a comment
        Langford was fined £1,000. That's not an insignificant amount for a young athlete. I wouldn't for one second condone his behaviour. However, as some context: he was pulled aside because he was warming up on the track when a race was underway. EVERYONE does that in Watford. As many of you will know, there is nowhere other than the track to warm up and there's never a single race that takes place with athletes warming up alongside. I suspect Langford, in his Nike kit was singled out. The official placed his hands on him first - not acceptable. FWIW, I've met the official in question and he makes it clear that he does not respect reputations. I write this not in any way to justify Langford but what he did was not without context.

• Aimee Pratt ran 9:39.60 PB and just under the QT. Fair play to her, I hope they pick her.

Comment

• Sovietvest
        Sovietvest commented
        Editing a comment
        Three days after an all-out effort in 28 degree heat?!?!?! Wow.

• I'd be devastated if Crammy ever stopped commentating. That said, I agree with the comments regarding him and Hutchings and the Africans in the 5000 - lazy I think Cram is different alongside Hutchings and relaxes into matey chat too often but I still enjoy them. That minor criticism aside, I'd rate Cram one of the greatest commentators in any sport we've ever had and some of his lines will live long in my memory. Walker is good but can get a bit Alan Partridge. Surprised that Andrew Cotter would get a negative reaction - I think he's articulate and well-informed with a very dry wit.

Jackson and Lewis are beyond awful and Michael Johnson is the most overrated pundit ever. He's totally out of touch with the sport but gets away with lazy analysis and wrong information because he delivers it in a deep, profound voice. Adam Gemini and Jaz Sawyers really showed them up the other week.

I really enjoy Mininchello but I wonder if the coaching-speak gobbledygook means anything, even to other coaches.

Comment

• If someone had told me 5 years ago that we'd be seriously talking about not picking a 3:30 1500m man for a World Champs, I'd have been very excited about the state of British 1500m running! I actually agree with the general consensus - I want Jake to go because I think he'd beat Charlie 8 times out of 10 - but seriously, which country other than Kenya has ever not picked someone who has just run 3:30 (I'm guessing those Kenya selectors probably dropped Silas Kiplagat at some point!).

Comment

• Did anyone make a list of who's already automatically qualified? I'm moving house this week and can't be bothered to go to the effort of checking standards etc. 🤣

Comment

• Mightypaul
            Mightypaul commented
            Editing a comment
            I think the following:
            Men: 100 (Edoburun, Gemili); 200 (Gemili, Hughes); 400 (Hudson-Smith); 1500 (Kerr, Gourley); 5000 (Butchart); 3000SC (Seddon); Marathon (Griffiths, Hawkins); 20kW (Bosworth, Wilkinson); 50kW (Corbishley, King); PV (Coppell); TJ (Williams); Hammer (Miller)
            Women: 100 (Asher-Smith); 200 (Dobbin, Williams); 400 (Diamond, Nielsen); 800 (Oskan-Clarke; Sharp); 1500 (McDonald, Reekie); 5000 (Judd, McColgan); 3000SC (Bird, Clarke); 400H (Beesley, Turner); Marathon (Jones, Purdue); HJ (Johnson-Thomson, Lake); PV (Bradshaw); LJ (Irozuru, Proctor); SP (McKinna). Presumably KJT for Heptathlon too.

• FastTrack
            FastTrack commented
            Editing a comment
            Also Duckworth in the decathlon

• Ladyloz
            Ladyloz commented
            Editing a comment
            I make it 44 names either already selected or definitely qualified, 42 if you take out Fatah & Twell who are running Marathons in the autumn. Add in discretionary picks and relays I suspect the final total will be around 70.

• I wouldn't be too worried on Hughes' performances in the trials. Last year got beat by Prescod, but delivered come the Europeans.

If we're assuming the relay would be made up of Gemili, Edoborun, Hughes, Ujah, NMB, Francis (potentially Kilty), I'd go with a 4x100 of Ujah, Hughes, Gemili, Edoborun/NMB. Edoborun is on form, but NMB's experience of the final leg and 2017 will go in his favour

Comment

• Really wish KJT had done the LJ at the weekend. After her longest jump for 4 years the week before, she still needs to nail her run up. On a less positive note, with 5 weeks until Doha, athletic fans heard the phrase guaranteed to give them palpitations 'KJT is trying out a new SP technique'

Comment

• Laps
              Laps commented
              Editing a comment
              It's 2019 and in KJT I am just enjoying a world class athlete. Not a bit worried about this or that. I'm not her Mum.

• CAML
              CAML commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't think it's possible after 2015/16 to enjoy a KJT heptathlon. Feast or famine, despair or euphoria. That's her brand, a very lucrative one too.

• Laps
              Laps commented
              Editing a comment
              Well things have changed you know. Since no-marking at Beijing 2015 she has managed 45 high jump and long jump competitions with not a single disaster, has settled down into a consistent shot putter 12.50 to 13.15m in six comps this year, and is even becoming consistent in the javelin 39.98 to 42.92 in 4 out of 5 of her last comps. Name another current GB athlete that can match that consistency?
          Working...
          X