British Championships 24-25th August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Happyjogger View Post
    The trials seemed very poorly attended but it did clash with the football season as well as other events. It seems to be getting worse every year but maybe the official figures will provide the true results.
    All competing athletes were given an allocation of 2 free tickets , and I know of at least 1 running club that was also given free tickets so I suspect that the actual paying crowed was limited to a few thousand over he entire weekend

Comment

• A difficult decision for the selectors when it comes to the men’s 1500, I think both athletes have a lot going for them

In favour of Wightman

- Two medals last year at Europeans and Commonwealths, Grice was 4th at commonwealths
      - Those two diamond league wins in 2017, although it has to be said he didn’t run particularly well in London that year
      - Slightly better tactically
      - Crucially finished ahead of Grice yesterday

In favour of Grice

- The only one to make a global final
      - Has two times quicker than Wightman over 1500 this year
      - 4th quickest in the world this year

I suspect they will go for Wightman, Grice can be frustrating at times, he’s got bags of talent but keeps making a hash of it at the trials, 5th in 2017, 4th in 2018 and 4th again yesterday

Some good debate on Twitter last night about changing the direction of the sprints so they weren’t into headwinds. It would be a pain for spectators who’ve paid for seats at the finish line and would be difficult for commentators and cameramen but I think ultimately it would be better for the athletes. The other problem is that the wind changes so much in that stadium, you could plan on running the sprint finals in the opposite direction only for the wind to change an hour later.

i read that the new stadium will have a Mondo track which will help. IMO the conditions over the weekend have cost a few athletes qualifying marks - Ofili would have run it and Zoey Clark and Chalmers may have run times good enough to get an invite.

Comment

• trickstat
        trickstat commented
        Editing a comment
        One of the quirks of Alexander Stadium is that it has 4 distinct stands and it seems prone to winds funnelling through the gaps between them. I think the rebuilt stadium for the 2022 Commonwealths is intended to have seating all the way around so that should definitely help with the wind issues.
        Last edited by trickstat; 26-08-19, 16:24.

• After reading some other comments and reflecting further on it, it does seem a bit more likely that Wightman would be named in the 800m and Grice in the 1500m. A 3.30 run does give you a very good shout for a wildcard.

Langford seemed to give up yesterday on the home straight and came in last, I wonder if that will cost him the chance of that third 800m spot? He's ranked second in the UK but it's all so tight it doesn't count for as much in this instance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Runner88 View Post
        After reading some other comments and reflecting further on it, it does seem a bit more likely that Wightman would be named in the 800m and Grice in the 1500m. A 3.30 run does give you a very good shout for a wildcard.

Langford seemed to give up yesterday on the home straight and came in last, I wonder if that will cost him the chance of that third 800m spot? He's ranked second in the UK but it's all so tight it doesn't count for as much in this instance.
        On Langford, I noticed that when he crossed the line he was reaching down to his right foot around the heel.... It was only a brief look before the camera switched to the winner, so I couldn't tell if he was just grabbing his shoe, but its possible he had an issue with his foot that flared up in the race.

Comment

• Personally would prefer to see Gemili focus on the 200. He's in arguably the shape of his life and is a genuine contender for a medal in the 200. Don't think he is quite as likely to win a medal in the 100. Would hate to see him miss out on a medal purely due to fatigue from all the rounds.

However, he is arguably in the shape of his life and might be thinking it's his best ever opportunity to double at a global champs!

On the grice situation, can you imagine you run the 4th fastest time in the history of your nation and DON'T make the team that year. Would be a bitter pill to swallow (although all the athletes know the selection policy and what they need to do to make the team). I like the idea of taking Wightman in the 800 and grice in the 1500. Although I have a feeling Learmonth will run the QT before the cut off and put the cat right amongst the pigeons.

Comment

• carterhatch
            carterhatch commented
            Editing a comment
            with relay duties also, I think it is good advice for Gemili to focus his efforts on the 200

• Originally posted by PartTimeRunner View Post
          Personally would prefer to see Gemili focus on the 200. He's in arguably the shape of his life and is a genuine contender for a medal in the 200. Don't think he is quite as likely to win a medal in the 100. Would hate to see him miss out on a medal purely due to fatigue from all the rounds.

However, he is arguably in the shape of his life and might be thinking it's his best ever opportunity to double at a global champs!

On the grice situation, can you imagine you run the 4th fastest time in the history of your nation and DON'T make the team that year. Would be a bitter pill to swallow (although all the athletes know the selection policy and what they need to do to make the team). I like the idea of taking Wightman in the 800 and grice in the 1500. Although I have a feeling Learmonth will run the QT before the cut off and put the cat right amongst the pigeons.
          Well, as some other folks on here have already said about Grice, this situation he now finds himself in is purely down to him... He might not be the most comfortable front running a race, but he was the only one in that field who is in 3:30 shape... He could have controlled things at the front, like Kerr did, and run a 3:38-3:40-ish pace and Bob's-your-uncle, he'd almost certainly be in the top 2 and if the worst came to the worst, he'd be in 3rd place and be virtually assured to get the discretionary place with his Monaco run and time in the bank.
          Instead he's now showed to the selectors (again) that he doesn't race well when the time matters most and even with his 3:30 time, finishing in 4th place, struggling to deal with a tactical race against runners he's beaten on times this year, is going make it difficult for UKA to take him.... especially if Learmonth gets the 800m time he needs this week and prevents Wightman the avenue to get on the squad for the 800m.

Comment

• Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post

Well, as some other folks on here have already said about Grice, this situation he now finds himself in is purely down to him... He might not be the most comfortable front running a race, but he was the only one in that field who is in 3:30 shape... He could have controlled things at the front, like Kerr did, and run a 3:38-3:40-ish pace and Bob's-your-uncle, he'd almost certainly be in the top 2 and if the worst came to the worst, he'd be in 3rd place and be virtually assured to get the discretionary place with his Monaco run and time in the bank.
            Instead he's now showed to the selectors (again) that he doesn't race well when the time matters most and even with his 3:30 time, finishing in 4th place, struggling to deal with a tactical race against runners he's beaten on times this year, is going make it difficult for UKA to take him.... especially if Learmonth gets the 800m time he needs this week and prevents Wightman the avenue to get on the squad for the 800m.
            Oh I 100% agree, only himself to blame. Just thinking how unlikely I would ever have found this scenario to be (before now). In a country where the 3rd spot is discretionary. Although now I think about it it's pretty similar to the scenario in the mens 100m! Zharnel could well be overlooked with a SB that would put him at number 5 all time.

But in terms of likely finalists, Grice probably the least likely purely based on the way the races tend to pan out at a championship.

Comment

• Runner88
              Runner88 commented
              Editing a comment
              But Grice did make the World final in 2015 and the Olympic final in 2016 when he was arguably a lesser runner than he is today. I would say the opposite and that Grice stands a better chance of making the final than the likes of Gourley. Gourley was great over a 200m sprint from a very slow race but it's not so likely the races in the worlds will go that way, the pace will quicken from much further out and a 3.35 guy is going to find the going tough.

• On a slight tangent, watching yesterday made it clear there are a number of marketable athletes, who the NGB could well look to, if wanting to promote the sport. They are super-reliant on DAS, KJT and Gemili, but a number of others have great personality and are doing well across a range of events. Their marketing team need to try and capture this now, because the viewing figures with a WC during football season are going to be much lower if there’s no names people recognise beyond the sprints.

Comment

• carterhatch
              carterhatch commented
              Editing a comment
              Jazmin Sawyers is a marketing dream ,,,

• camerajuan
              camerajuan commented
              Editing a comment
              Seconded. She's personable, funny & an absolute staunch competitor on her day. Give me her, Kwakye & Iwan Thomas over Logan et al when she gives up.

• Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post

running 3.30 in a DL race is totally irrelevant to the Champs this last w/e. Grice will be an undeserved entrant into the team if selected.

Comment

• trickstat
              trickstat commented
              Editing a comment
              Other than events where athletes don't compete so often (e.g. marathon, 50K walk, the occasional combined eventer), I've long felt that the rankings for the men's 1500m are the least useful as a predictor of Championship results in the sport. As for Grice , for me his case for selection would be stronger if he had repeatedly well beaten the other Brits in several races this year but I don't think they have raced each other many times.

• Originally posted by LuckySpikes

Yes, compare and contrast to cycling. Whether you watch it on Eurosport, ITV4 or the BBC the commentating and analysis is uniformly excellent and informative.

Paula is a waste of space most of the time as well. She often comes out with factually incorrect stuff or just the blindingly obvious and she adds little or nothing IMO.

The Beeb need to ditch Andrew Cotter or Crammy and get Rob Walker doing it all. Now, he is a very good commentator.
            Certainly agree that Paula has little or nothing to add, but not all would agree, i'm sure. However i would miss Crammy.

Comment

• After the UK Members Council are done with Langford, he may find a long holiday awaits (as any other sport would)... His thuggery at Watford may not end with being slapped with a soggy lettuce leaf... He committed a serious assault, I know that the coaching Rep on the Council Toni M has him in the gun... He keeps screwing up... He does not deserve the bus fare to Walsall let alone a trip to Doha,

As for Paula, a non dom tax exile, paying no tax on when she collects her pay cheque courtesy of the licence fee payer then goes back to Monaco, spending only the allowable 12 days in the UK.

Rob Walker does his homework before each event, I have discussed that with him. He would tell you Cram and Hutchings do as well.

Comment

• Runner88
                Runner88 commented
                Editing a comment
                What business it is of yours where Paula Radcliffe chooses to live or raise her family? I don't think she is the best commentator either, but your points are pretty irrelevant to that...

• Originally posted by whatwouldIknow View Post
              After the UK Members Council are done with Langford, he may find a long holiday awaits (as any other sport would)... His thuggery at Watford may not end with being slapped with a soggy lettuce leaf... He committed a serious assault, I know that the coaching Rep on the Council Toni M has him in the gun... He keeps screwing up... He does not deserve the bus fare to Walsall let alone a trip to Doha,
              I'll start by saying that this a genuine question because I really don't know the answer and not a dig in any shape or form but what authority do UK Athletics have over athletes behaviour ? Can they fine them ? kick them out of the sport ? give them a ban ? community service etc ?

Comment

• Sovietvest
                Sovietvest commented
                Editing a comment
                Langford was fined £1,000. That's not an insignificant amount for a young athlete. I wouldn't for one second condone his behaviour. However, as some context: he was pulled aside because he was warming up on the track when a race was underway. EVERYONE does that in Watford. As many of you will know, there is nowhere other than the track to warm up and there's never a single race that takes place with athletes warming up alongside. I suspect Langford, in his Nike kit was singled out. The official placed his hands on him first - not acceptable. FWIW, I've met the official in question and he makes it clear that he does not respect reputations. I write this not in any way to justify Langford but what he did was not without context.

• Aimee Pratt ran 9:39.60 PB and just under the QT. Fair play to her, I hope they pick her.

Comment

• Sovietvest
                Sovietvest commented
                Editing a comment
                Three days after an all-out effort in 28 degree heat?!?!?! Wow.

• I'd be devastated if Crammy ever stopped commentating. That said, I agree with the comments regarding him and Hutchings and the Africans in the 5000 - lazy I think Cram is different alongside Hutchings and relaxes into matey chat too often but I still enjoy them. That minor criticism aside, I'd rate Cram one of the greatest commentators in any sport we've ever had and some of his lines will live long in my memory. Walker is good but can get a bit Alan Partridge. Surprised that Andrew Cotter would get a negative reaction - I think he's articulate and well-informed with a very dry wit.

Jackson and Lewis are beyond awful and Michael Johnson is the most overrated pundit ever. He's totally out of touch with the sport but gets away with lazy analysis and wrong information because he delivers it in a deep, profound voice. Adam Gemini and Jaz Sawyers really showed them up the other week.

I really enjoy Mininchello but I wonder if the coaching-speak gobbledygook means anything, even to other coaches.

Comment

• If someone had told me 5 years ago that we'd be seriously talking about not picking a 3:30 1500m man for a World Champs, I'd have been very excited about the state of British 1500m running! I actually agree with the general consensus - I want Jake to go because I think he'd beat Charlie 8 times out of 10 - but seriously, which country other than Kenya has ever not picked someone who has just run 3:30 (I'm guessing those Kenya selectors probably dropped Silas Kiplagat at some point!).

Comment

Working...
                X