No announcement yet.

British Championships 24-25th August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congrats to Gourley and to Kerr who was always going to be a factor with his 800m speed this season. I still think Grice is going to get the decision over Wightman with his 3:30, but he certainly wouldn't deserve it the way he ran here.

Comment

• Oskan-Clarke got those famous sharp elbows out and held of Lynsey Sharp for the UK title, and Alex Bell must surely get the pick from the selectors as she comes 3rd.... And an excellent season for Boffey ends with a fab finish to come 4th in the UK championships. Well done to the 19 year old European U-20 champion!

Comment

• Boffey is a beast. She'll be toying with that field next year.

Comment

• Shelayna is so tough. Peaks like a master year after year. Looks like a strong group of women going to Doha from 800-5000.

Comment

• Well, M800 is a clusterf**k after that. Nice to see the reaction from Thomas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Christy93 View Post
              Well, M800 is a clusterf**k after that. Nice to see the reaction from Thomas.
              Webb will be kicking himself.... Learmonth... Ugh!

I'll make a prediction now, Learmonth will struggle to get the time... and if he *does* get the time for Doha, he'll go out in the heats.

Comment

• A really high quality women's long jump here, a PB 6.86m for Irozuru gets her the UK title, just ahead of Shara Proctor's SB of 6.84m. Behind them Jazmin Sawyers what she does best, producing her best work when in matters most, jumping 6.71m to come third, a season's best that is just off the Doha standard of 6.74m, but might be long enough to get the IAAF invite, depending on the UK selectors whims of course

Comment

• trickstat
                  trickstat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The women's LJ does seem to be the one field event where we are probably at our strongest ever depth-wise.

• Gemili is back!

Comment

• Statement from Gemili.

Comment

• yep, gemili looked great there, nice to see some of the womens long jumpers finally come into form

Comment

• That was a sub 20 second run from Gemili in more favourable wind conditions! Probably a PB with a tailwind. 20.08 into a -1.2 m/s headwind to break the championship record set in 2017 with a *tailwind*, means that Gemili is really back in the picture.

Hughes big talk of doing the double fell flat, but he did get the 2nd automatic spot with a 20.25 SB (on a regular track, he got a 20.00 time on a straight track earlier in the season), while Miguel Francis gets 3rd place with 20.35. Francis' 19.97 from the Anniversary Games will probably be enough to get him into the GB squad though.
                      Last edited by RunUnlimited; 27-08-19, 10:13.

Comment

• I imagine Hughes will get the 3rd 100 spot as the fastest this season.

I believe the last British male sprinter to double at Worlds was Christian Malcolm in 2001!

EDIT: Scratch that, it was Marlon Devonish, Helsinki 2005. And Darren Campbell doubled in Paris.
                        Last edited by Johannes Factotum; 25-08-19, 17:12.

Comment

• Gotta say, Charlie Dobson, world junior silver medalist last year, set another season's best of 20.67 to come 5th in that race and I say he'll be someone to watch for the next couple of years, the 20 year old would have been closer to the action if he'd had better preparation in the lead up to this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Johannes Factotum View Post
                            I imagine Hughes will get the 3rd 100 spot as the fastest this season.

I believe the last British male sprinter to double at Worlds was Christian Malcolm in 2001!
                            I remember that.... Couldn't believe that Malcolm's run of 20.08 as a 22 year old in the semi finals would end up being his career best....

Comment

• Ladyloz
                              Ladyloz commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I remember how devastated Malcolm looked after missing out on the final there. I don't think he ever mentally recovered from that. He was never really a contender on the global stage after that.

• Quite a good day for me: Gemili is back, Bradshaw CR, Ben Williams another PB, WLJ was a great standard, Morgan back to form after her family problems, MHS should be a lot faster in a months time, W200 had great depth in those conditions.

Comment

Working...
                            X