X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry - Larkim not Larkin!

Comment

Originally posted by larkim View Post
      Kilty is one athlete I find it hard to wave a flag for, but I do think having the reigning champ at the event makes a lot of sense. Really should be European Athletics who make that available as part of the overall criteria, rather than leave it up to NGBs to come up with a selection policy that potentially excludes a champion.
      President Svein has said that he wants to give wildcards to all defending champions at future Euro Indoor champs.

I imagine the decision to invite Kilty has put a few noses out of joint at British Athletics. In the past they've always rejected any IAAF invitations to British athletes to reach event quotas, no doubt because it inteferes with their carefully constructed selection policies!

Comment

Originally posted by larkim View Post
        Kilty is one athlete I find it hard to wave a flag for, but I do think having the reigning champ at the event makes a lot of sense. Really should be European Athletics who make that available as part of the overall criteria, rather than leave it up to NGBs to come up with a selection policy that potentially excludes a champion.

I still don't understand the UKA / British Athletics fixation with setting quali standards higher than the entry requirements, and even more so in relation to sprints where we fund a large number via the relay funding and have good depth so that even our 4th or 5th ranked athletes would be broadly competitive at a European Champs. The only outcome of having a higher standard is that you reduce the pot of athletes to choose from if discretion comes into play. I seriously doubt if any of our sprinters would have taken it easy going into the selection event if the threshold time had been 6.78.
        I'm playing devils advocate here slightly but would our male 400 runners have run as fast had the standard been the same as the EA standard?

I think the problem is there's no consistency across the board, altering the standards for u20 athletes is a nonsense. They lowered the standard a lot for the men's 60 but don't lower it in proportion for the women's 60 where we have as much strength in depth these days. They also lowered the standard in the men's hurdles to 7.65 - we've only ever had 14 athletes run that fast

Comment

I think sovietvest is right but conflating funding and selection is of course nonsense. There is always going to be a finite pot for funding but selection for champs is a different best.

Comment

Italy's team (27 athletes) - http://www.fidal.it/content/Europei-...Glasgow/119430

Comment

I may be thinking completely out of the box here but in regards to Kilty being given an invite - I wonder if GB actually asked them to invite him behind closed doors so that it appears that they didn't back track on their selection policy after the outcry on social media in regards to selection.
              At the end of the day he shouldn't have been picked - hasn't got the qualifying time, didn't come in the top 3 at trails and although he is performing better in every race who says that he will continue to improve.
              GB did the right thing and followed the very well publicised selection criteria however harsh that me be. The 2 people that should have thrown their toys out of the pram are Dom Ashwell and Jeremiah Azu but it looks like they have accepted the decsion.

Comment

I'd bet that there was at least a conversation between BA and EuroAthletics that said "If you were to invite him, we wouldn't stop that" or "If we invite him, would you stop that?" Who started that conversation, who knows, but I reckon that sort of sounding out was quite likely.

I'd love to be negative about Kilty and suggest he'll fail to make the final, but the truth is he is quick over 60 and our sprinters are so good that he does have a realistic chance of defending the title. He'd be insufferable if he did though.

Perhaps one day I'll have a Damascene moment in relation to Kilty like I have had with Rutherford.

Comment

Entry lists have been published and only 3 men out of all the 60m entrants have ran 6.60 this season, just to put BA's standard into perspective.

Comment

I wonder if the idea behind making the 60m standard 6.60 was that it was thought that we were bound to have 3 athletes who wanted to go to the Champs who had run it. This would have probably been OK in 2017 when 7 athletes did it and it would also protect against being 'forced' to pick someone who gets second in 6.65 when one or two athletes with the 6.60 standard are DQ'd or have a one-off bad race. However, I think it was too optimistic a standard and the selection situation would be a lot less messy if it had been 6.65.

Comment

Working...
                    X