No announcement yet.

Female and male athletes of the year 2023 - British and Global

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female and male athletes of the year 2023 - British and Global

Hi everyone, would be very interested to hear your thoughts on the athletes of the year for 2023, British (female and male) and globally (female and male).

My choices:

British female: KJT

British male: Zharnel Hughes

Global female: Faith Kipyegon

Global male: Noah Lyles

KJT
    Josh Kerr
    Kipyegon
    Probably Lyles

Comment

KJT and Kerr, no brainer for me. Kipyegon an even bigger no brainer.

I'll go for Ryan Crouser for global male athlete.

Comment

KJT
        Kerr
        Kipyegon
        Crouser

Comment

KJT
          Kerr
          Kipyegon
          Lyles
          ​​​​​​​

Comment

KJT. McColgan might gave got it if she wasn't out for the important bit of the season.
            Kerr. Beating Jakob when it mattered did it for me.
            Kipyegon. The most clear cut of the four for me.
            Crouser. At the moment, but I reserve the right to change my mind after Eugene.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
              Occasional Hope commented
              Editing a comment
              I think international male is the most open, and the DL final may make a difference.

KJT: Her heptathlon gold was one of the highlights of the season for me.
            Zharnel: For me, him breaking the 100m and 200m british records and getting his first global medal gives him a slight edge on Kerr.
            Kipyegon: There's no competition really.
            Lyles: His 3 golds (especially his 100 gold) were just on another level.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
              Occasional Hope commented
              Editing a comment
              I think WC gold trumps other achievements, otherwise there would also be a case for MHS, breaking a very long standing European record as well as getting silver in Budapest.
              Last edited by Occasional Hope; 14-09-23, 18:22.

Zharnel had a fantastic season but loses points, relatively speaking, to Kerr by only picking up a bronze and by virtue of the fact he (Kerr) beat one of the best athletes in the world. They are 1:1 in major wins outside of the world championship Kerr won the NYC mile, ZH the race in New York. Zharnels win at British champs vs Kerrs 5th comes lower down the list and is not enough to swing it back in his favour
            Last edited by treadwater1; 14-09-23, 19:33.

Comment

Is it me or does it feel like ages since we had a genuine fight for the Best British Male title!?

Comment

• MysteryBrick
                MysteryBrick commented
                Editing a comment
                That was my exact thoughts! The fact there are three (at a stretch) candidates (Kerr, Hughes, MHS) is exciting.

It all depends what criteria you’re applying. Pure achievement, biggest improvement or whatever.

KJT’s title was unexpected but Hall was carrying an injury, Thiam wasn’t there and she was a fair way off her very best. Best story of the year sure, but less certain on athlete of the year.

Lake on the other hand set an NR, raised her personal bar and over achieved in the WC against some very good opposition. To me that’s more impressive in some ways. So….

Lake
              Norris - some great candidates operating at a higher level but his breakthrough season performances gave me the most pleasure.
              Kipyegon - virtually impossible to argue against.
              Crouser - hard to argue against an unbeaten season including the world title and best two performances in history.

Comment

KJT probably is my Brit female of the year, but her Budapest performance was achieved with a major slice of luck, Fit Hall and Thiam would surely been better than 6740 points. Kerr for me, for his goldie.
                Kipyegon is clearly no 1, as we all know and, and I certainly would prefer Mondo or Bakkali to Crouser who is a physical freak of 2.01 and 145 kg(22.8 stones ).with great technique. Even Ingebritsen is preferred by me with his 5K victory and silver in the 1500m at Budapest plus a WR in the 2K. For me that is much harder to achieve than chucking a ball further than anybody.

Comment

And Lyles had a better record this year than Crouser. 100m/200m World Champion and not beaten in any comps , i believe.

Comment

Originally posted by marilyn1
                    And Lyles had a better record this year than Crouser. 100m/200m World Champion and not beaten in any comps , i believe.
                    3rd in the US champs 100 I believe. Fabulous season but I guess it depends on how highly you rate Crouser’s best two performances in history. Good as Lyles is he’s only 15th and 3rd all time in his events. Crouser now has 4 performances better than anyone else has achieved outdoors and set 3 of the top ten marks ever this year. He also smashed the indoor WR by over half a metre, but that wasn’t ratified.

As for Crouser being a freak, well yes but so is every other top athlete, it’s just with him that his size is visible. But big alone doesn’t make a great thrower.

Comment

Lyles' loss in the DL final might push him down below Crouser, depending on how Crouser does tomorrow.

Comment

Not sure how Lyles vs Crouser is a discussion. One did a good double, the other had one of the greatest seasons in the Shot ever.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎