UK Outdoor August 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hughes is also down to double up.

Think it will be between Gemili and Ujah for the 3rd 100m spot (if Prescod runs) and probably between Gemili and NMB for the 3rd sport in the 200m behind Hughes and Francis.

Comment

Originally posted by Ursus View Post
      Gemili's a funny one. A few years back he was the young happy smiling face of British athletics. Now he feels like an afterthought which is odd for a 25 y.o who is one of only 2 Brits to have gone sub 10 and sub 20.

I know injuries have played their part, but its also probably because things move on and Hughes and Prescod are simply faster. Gemili always seemed to be straining to get the times he did whereas the other 2 are already quicker with the scope to go faster still over 100 as well as materially rewriting their 200 bests if they turn their firepower to that.

Not only that but both are now regularly sub 10, whereas Gemili's PBs set in 2015 / 16 are his only legal times below 10 & 20. I wish Gemili well but unfortunately I don't ever see him getting materially quicker or in 4th or 5th in a global again.
      i cannot have too much confidence in a guy whose best was years ago in the 200m and who gets injured frequently. As soon as he gets into some sort of form his body lets him down. Dont know why but such a shame.

Comment

have you posters seen the 2020 OG qualifying standards which qual period started Jan 2019 and will run to end of June 2020. Crikey, if this year amongst the male athletes is anything to go by we are going to have hardly any field eventers and the women are not too good in the field either.Whether UKA will take advantage of the Ranking lists next year for athletes who have not got a qual standard \i rather doubt.

Comment

Mitchell-Blake doubled last year and is down as invited in the 100 this year, the men’s 200 is shaping up quite well, Charlie Dodson ran 20.53 (+2.3) the other day in Loughborough.

Ive had my doubts about Gemili in the past, I thought he might struggle to get back amongst the best in the world after that injury in 2015 but he was a whisker away in Rio, then the injuries in 2017 and he still ran the best leg in the relay. I wouldn’t rule out him running well in Doha, his problem is his main event is absolutely loaded at the moment, there will be no Norman in Doha, but if he runs in Tokyo that’s two medals sown up and 19.7x might be needed for Bronze. For me Mitchell-Blake’s progress has stalled slightly and he hasn’t looked great at times this year (admittedly a decent return to form in London)

Comment

Just flicking through power of ten results and came across the fact Seren Bundy-Davies had run 2:09 for 800 at the BMC Grand Prix meet on Saturday.... I wish her all the best, there was a particular indoor season where her 400 looked imperious and then injury struck

Comment

Originally posted by carterhatch View Post
              Just flicking through power of ten results and came across the fact Seren Bundy-Davies had run 2:09 for 800 at the BMC Grand Prix meet on Saturday.... I wish her all the best, there was a particular indoor season where her 400 looked imperious and then injury struck
              It was her third 800 this year - she ran 2:07 in one of the others (her PB is 2:03.8 from a few years back). And she's down to run it again at the Manchester International on Wednesday.

Comment

So start lists out for Birmingham > https://birmingham.diamondleague.com/list-results-bham/

No Prescod or Hughes in the 100m. Can see from the athlete lists for the trials that Prescod hasn't accepted as of yet... really hoping he's not injured and left sweating on the 3rd discretionary spot

Comment

Originally posted by burnley183 View Post
                  So start lists out for Birmingham > https://birmingham.diamondleague.com/list-results-bham/

No Prescod or Hughes in the 100m. Can see from the athlete lists for the trials that Prescod hasn't accepted as of yet... really hoping he's not injured and left sweating on the 3rd discretionary spot
                  To balance out that piece of potentially worrying news from a GB stand point, in the men's 400m, Matthew Hudson-Smith makes his belated opening to his season in a race that though it doesn't contain the likes of Kerley and Norman, still has 6 men who have run sub 45 seconds this year, so is a pretty solid quality.

[Edit] And in the men's 800m, Max Burgin, denied what surely would have been a nailed-on gold medal in the European U-20's last month due to a minor leg injury, will make his senior athletics debut. At just 17 years of age, Burgin will be thrown in against a good field, including in-form 1:42 man Alfred Kipketer, who has won his last three 800m races, and will also contain five other British athletes. It'll be fascinating to see how Max runs this race, seeing as he's such a committed front runner, and looking at the full list of runners, there doesn't seem to be an obviously designated pace-maker in the field so perhaps the organizers have taken that into consideration.
                  Last edited by RunUnlimited; 13-08-19, 16:03.

Comment

• Laps
                    Laps commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Think Abda has been a regular pacemaker on the DL circuit.

Men's 800 looks a cracker from a GB perspective: Burgin, Webb, Staines debut on the circuit, Giles, Learmonth & Thomas.

I wouldnt worry about Hughes/Prescod personally - Looks like a few GB athletes, particularly sprinters, are skipping this to prepare for trials - No Lansiquot, Ujah, Philip, Nelson, Williams', Edoburun, Awuah, Dobbin.

Comment

• Ladyloz
                    Ladyloz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    According to today's Telegraph, Prescod is also absent from trials and a major doubt for Doha. So time to worry as far as he's concerned.

Whiteaker had been invited but isn’t on the start list. Hasn’t been seen this season. Injured or lost interest? Either way it’s another promising spear talent gone AWOL. Hopefully he’ll be back, but he only ever competed sparingly, so maybe the love’s just not there. But maybe I do him a disservice, anyone know what’s going on with him?

Comment

Spear hasn’t quite taken off this year, but Brum might just be the day. Of the 9 javelinists the worst PB is 88.09 and 6 are 90m men. Yego launched a 91m effort at Brum in 2015, here’s hoping for more of the same!

Comment

sarah mcdonald runs 1.59.91 for a pb paced by lynsey sharp

Comment

Originally posted by Christy93 View Post
                        Men's 800 looks a cracker from a GB perspective: Burgin, Webb, Staines debut on the circuit, Giles, Learmonth & Thomas.

I wouldnt worry about Hughes/Prescod personally - Looks like a few GB athletes, particularly sprinters, are skipping this to prepare for trials - No Lansiquot, Ujah, Philip, Nelson, Williams', Edoburun, Awuah, Dobbin.
                        If The Telegraph report about Prescod potentially missing Doha, could be a blessing in disguise. The later season finish for this year will impact on how athletes prepare for Tokyo. So he may be able to get a little jump on his rivals. Maybe also look to do an indoor season to really work on his pick up phase.

Comment

Originally posted by mattrh17 View Post
                          Hughes is also down to double up.

Think it will be between Gemili and Ujah for the 3rd 100m spot (if Prescod runs) and probably between Gemili and NMB for the 3rd sport in the 200m behind Hughes and Francis.
                          prescod is unlikely to be ready to run for GB in the WC due to injuries; i wonder he is another athlete who will be injured after every few races.

Comment

Originally posted by philipo View Post

prescod is unlikely to be ready to run for GB in the WC due to injuries; i wonder he is another athlete who will be injured after every few races.
                            I bl00dy hope not. Can't be dealing with another Dasaolu on our cards. 9.91 would go down very nicely right about now!

Comment

Working...
                            X