No announcement yet.

UK Outdoor August 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amy Hunt and Max Burgin are both currently down to run at the trials.

I completely understand the concerns about too much at such a young age. I also realise that so many young athletes they often run incredibly as teenagers and then get an injury and spend the rest of their careers trying to recapture it or just disappear from the sport completely. I personally am looking forward to seeing them at the trials and hope that at least 1 of them becomes the athlete that they potentially could be.

I have a lot of respect for Jodie Williams, she could have easily thrown the towel in by now but has persevered when it would have been easier to quit.

A perfect example I have noticed who has been running recently in BAL meets is Clovis Asong. 3rd on the all-time under 17 lists the year before the 2012 Olympics. I'm sure he just competes for the love of the sport now but a good example of why perhaps I feel it is okay for Amy Hunt to run in the Diamond League, it might be an opportunity she would regret if the worst happened and she turned it down.

Comment

Originally posted by mattrh17 View Post
      Amy Hunt and Max Burgin are both currently down to run at the trials.

I completely understand the concerns about too much at such a young age. I also realise that so many young athletes they often run incredibly as teenagers and then get an injury and spend the rest of their careers trying to recapture it or just disappear from the sport completely. I personally am looking forward to seeing them at the trials and hope that at least 1 of them becomes the athlete that they potentially could be.

I have a lot of respect for Jodie Williams, she could have easily thrown the towel in by now but has persevered when it would have been easier to quit.

A perfect example I have noticed who has been running recently in BAL meets is Clovis Asong. 3rd on the all-time under 17 lists the year before the 2012 Olympics. I'm sure he just competes for the love of the sport now but a good example of why perhaps I feel it is okay for Amy Hunt to run in the Diamond League, it might be an opportunity she would regret if the worst happened and she turned it down.
      Now watch as Amy Hunt runs 21.9 at the Brum DL and Burgin goes sub 1:45 in the trials and is UK #1 going into Doha....

Comment

Mattrh17 - Clovis - blast from the past! Glad he’s back running - what sort of size is he these days? I always thought the multis might work for him.

I think most young athletes that are super successful struggle when they get out of the age group ranks and suddenly lose. Either pressure from within or from weight of external expectation makes the sport less fun and they quit, often injured through overtraining to be better - that’s where I’d like to see the NGB tackle things and maybe athletes might just keep at it, like Jodie Williams has. If it doesn’t work out, someone like Amy will always have that gold medal and PB, which she can rightly be proud to own.

Comment

Originally posted by CAML View Post
          Amy has run sub 23 twice. Winning the EJ's in 22.9 and running 22.4 in Germany, where everybody who ran the 200 that day set a lifetime best that they haven't come close to repeating. Now Ms Hunt is being put in a race of Olympic Final standard against athletes who have run sub 22. All we're going to be hearing from Gabby is 22.4, ad nauseam. Amy does not need that, or the sight of SMU striding away from her down the home straight.
          Amy has barely run 200m this season and when it has counted at Mannheim and in the U20 Euro final she has delivered sub 23 performances. Also most athletes have to get used to the site of "SMU striding away" down the home straight. Hunt is fully going to enjoy the experience, may well take a scalp or two and then get back to studying for her A Levels.

Comment

Originally posted by jjimbojames View Post
            Mattrh17 - Clovis - blast from the past! Glad he’s back running - what sort of size is he these days? I always thought the multis might work for him.

I think most young athletes that are super successful struggle when they get out of the age group ranks and suddenly lose. Either pressure from within or from weight of external expectation makes the sport less fun and they quit, often injured through overtraining to be better - that’s where I’d like to see the NGB tackle things and maybe athletes might just keep at it, like Jodie Williams has. If it doesn’t work out, someone like Amy will always have that gold medal and PB, which she can rightly be proud to own.
            I think you are right. For some athletes who dominate at youth ranks I think it is important for them to taste the senior ranks - this gives them something to aim for and not allow them to mentally be used to always being infront. Some stellar talents I think could have benefited from this and may have reacted positively and continued development; Mark Lewis Francis, Jodie Williams, Adam Gemilli, Jess Judd...all good people.

Comment

Originally posted by Runny View Post

I think you are right. For some athletes who dominate at youth ranks I think it is important for them to taste the senior ranks - this gives them something to aim for and not allow them to mentally be used to always being infront. Some stellar talents I think could have benefited from this and may have reacted positively and continued development; Mark Lewis Francis, Jodie Williams, Adam Gemilli, Jess Judd...all good people.
              Hmm, wasn't Gemili on the start line during either the heats or the semi-finals of the 100m at the 2012 Olympics, going up against Usain Bolt?

Comment

For those commenters on here wondering what has happened to Eilidh Doyle and why she hasn't competed at all in the outdoor season.... wonder no more.
                https://twitter.com/EilidhDoyle/stat...42981269889024

tl:dr: She is gonna have a baby in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post
                  For those commenters on here wondering what has happened to Eilidh Doyle and why she hasn't competed at all in the outdoor season.... wonder no more.
                  https://twitter.com/EilidhDoyle/stat...42981269889024

tl:dr: She is gonna have a baby in January 2020.
                  thats pretty much a retiral by the sounds of it, 32 missing the worlds and the baby being born in jan, not giving her any time to get back for the olympics

Comment

Many congratulations to Doyle.

Agree with drobbie that her elite career will now be over. But there are more important things in life than running round a track.

Comment

People still making ridiculous assumptions on this forum I see! Beth probably was invited before Amy and turned it down, week before trials and has raced a lot quite recently. DAS will make the team in the 200 even she has a bad day Hunt and her coach do not plan to go Doha even if in the top 3.

the womens 200m is close enough at the top as to where if Beth has an off day she could come 4th. Trials is her priority

Comment

To be fair, if people don’t know for sure if Beth was/wasn’t offered a lane, everyone is making assumptions...!

Personally, I think Hunt will be fine and prepared for it being a run out with no expectation, but it’s been good to see opinions. At times, this MB gets so quiet, so anything (kept civil and polite in content and tone) which sparks discussion here is a good thing in my book - including the endless relay line up / change of events / funding chat.

Comment

She was offered

Comment

Gemili is doubling up at the trials

Comment

Originally posted by treadwater1 View Post
                              Gemili is doubling up at the trials
                              Ambitious.... I like it!

(Keeps fingers crossed that Gemili's body holds up)

Comment

Gemili's a funny one. A few years back he was the young happy smiling face of British athletics. Now he feels like an afterthought which is odd for a 25 y.o who is one of only 2 Brits to have gone sub 10 and sub 20.

I know injuries have played their part, but its also probably because things move on and Hughes and Prescod are simply faster. Gemili always seemed to be straining to get the times he did whereas the other 2 are already quicker with the scope to go faster still over 100 as well as materially rewriting their 200 bests if they turn their firepower to that.

Not only that but both are now regularly sub 10, whereas Gemili's PBs set in 2015 / 16 are his only legal times below 10 & 20. I wish Gemili well but unfortunately I don't ever see him getting materially quicker or in 4th or 5th in a global again.

Comment

Working...
                                X