No announcement yet.

European Team Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You couldn’t make it up about the relay.

Concentrating on the throws:

Both SPs did as well as could be expected. Well done.

Law’s 33 and was just 3m shy of her PB. Not a disaster.

Thompson must have caught a lucky wind for his 65, but that’s clearly not the standard to judge him by. That said still poor, but distances were way down across the board.

JTs we’ve discussed. Woeful, but had little expectation.

Which leaves the HT. Miller was crap, but so far removed from his norm that I’m not too bothered. He’s got 6 over 75 this year including 3 over 77. Still think he’ll be a finalist in Doha.

Where to start on Hitchon? I sort of feel sorry for her, but she’s also a fully mature athlete who should be sorted and fully in control of her own destiny by now. I’ve said all along that I expected Rio to be a one off day in the sun, I stand by that but didn’t remotely expect what we’re seeing now. Hope she can get back to where was.

Comment

• GB splits:

Diamond - 52.2
      J. Williams - 50.9
      Clark - 52.4
      Turner - 51.5

With Nielsen, Dobbin & the fast improving Anning around this team has potential to challenge for bronze in Tokyo. Impressed with that split from Turner too - She lost a fair bit of ground at the change-over.
      Last edited by Christy93; 11-08-19, 19:01.

Comment

• jjimbojames
        jjimbojames commented
        Editing a comment
        Don’t quote me on it, but given she starts at an American college this year, I wonder if Anning might give Doha a miss and focus on Tokyo? Jess needs more races, as she made some errors in both relays, but they will go with experience, as she recognised them after the race

• camerajuan
        camerajuan commented
        Editing a comment
        She might actually. Never thought of that. Shame if she does but OG bigger than WC. Jess did make errors but there's no denying her talent & her hurdling strength showed in the home straight - I genuinely thought she was going to get caught & annoyed all the guys in the pub watching the Man Utd - Chelsea game, shouting at my phone! Better changeovers will see her faster!

• jjimbojames
        jjimbojames commented
        Editing a comment
        The hurdlers may well save us, as Jessie Knight has run a 51.x leg for her club this year, so could also probably do a job, if she makes the team!

• Wonder why Dobbin didn’t run here - at some point, they actually need to try her out in a real race, rather than just assume she’ll be OK. Very different beast to a time trial.

With Nielsen running a 50.low today, they would have won against what is essentially Poland’s A team, and the main contenders for bronze at Doha, which is promising. The 400m ladies both very poor, so hopefully they find some form or Amy Allcock will be back in. DAS ran about as quick as Diamond did today when she opened her season for Blackheath!

Comment

• Ladyloz
        Ladyloz commented
        Editing a comment
        Dobbin withdrew earlier in the week - not sure if it's illness injury or whatever. Hope she's OK for trials.

• Apologies, if this has been covered already in the thread but I’m really frustrated by our lack of commitment to this event. 9 hours of BBC coverage should make this a great showcase for the sport in Britain, if we put out a team capable of winning. No reason at all why it couldn’t be part of every athletes competition schedule. If the event was good enough for Linford Christie, it’s good enough for Zharnel Hughes!

When you’re chasing the win and every point counts, the viewer starts to take an interest in every event and thus gets to know athletes other than the big names.

We we should be offering to host the event as well - as opposed to that Mickey Mouse World Team Cup, or whatever it was called last year.

It really smacks of British arrogance that we don’t give it any sort of priority.

Comment

• That relay mix-up was an absolute joke of a mistake. Nobody with the position to write the teamsheet for a national squad should be making that error. Name, shame & dismiss. No question. It would happen in other sports.

Comment

• And if that’s not bad enough, whomever is handling the BA Twitter account is now blocking athletes that have represented GB before and criticised them for the situation (Sam Ruddock) - in my view, even worse than the relay balls up in the first place, as this is deliberate. I’d like to see them try and block DAS et al, who have also criticised them for it.

Soviet - completely agree. World class athletes took it seriously, most of our top names did not and the NGB didn’t make them, so athletes and NGB at fault. Kat Stefanídi said on Twitter that if the comp paid, more stars would turn up, as they’d break their training and put the meet in their plans if it were a DL. Makes me even more happy that she won, given she still turned up for free. Some of our top- ranked athletes tweeting about how amazing it would be if the comp was held at the London Stadium - erm, only if you turned up!

Comment

• One way of helping participation to consider is giving winners with the qualifying standard an automatic place in the following championship team - didn't they do that one year?

Comment

• Originally posted by CAML View Post
              Is that a job application Jumbo?
              lets face it Neil Black is career climbing nobody who got lucky. Who expected better? not me mate.

Comment

• I think Morgan Lake has some kind of injury problem, which is probably why she withdrew.

I blame Neil Black for treating this competition as a development event for the past few years. He sets the tone and the athletes follow. But the scheduling for this year doesn't help: ETC, then Birmingham, then the trials - that's three weekends in a row. Most other European countries have had their trials already, which must have made it easier for their athletes to commit to competing.

Sovietvest is right: the ETC is a perfect way to get casual viewers interested in the sport. UK Sport should broaden their criteria for assessing UKA's success. A major international competition with hours of TV time should be taken more seriously. Also it's really fun. If GB had fielded DAS, Nielsen, Muir, Weightman, McColgan, Lake (if she were fit) Bradshaw, Prescod, Hughes, MHS, O'Hare and Butchart...it could have been a very different story.

As for the 4 x 400 cock-up and its unsavoury aftermath - words fail me.

Comment

• Originally posted by sidelined View Post
                  I think Morgan Lake has some kind of injury problem, which is probably why she withdrew.

I blame Neil Black for treating this competition as a development event for the past few years. He sets the tone and the athletes follow. But the scheduling for this year doesn't help: ETC, then Birmingham, then the trials - that's three weekends in a row. Most other European countries have had their trials already, which must have made it easier for their athletes to commit to competing.

Sovietvest is right: the ETC is a perfect way to get casual viewers interested in the sport. UK Sport should broaden their criteria for assessing UKA's success. A major international competition with hours of TV time should be taken more seriously. Also it's really fun. If GB had fielded DAS, Nielsen, Muir, Weightman, McColgan, Lake (if she were fit) Bradshaw, Prescod, Hughes, MHS, O'Hare and Butchart...it could have been a very different story.

As for the 4 x 400 cock-up and its unsavoury aftermath - words fail me.
                  Agree that the BA or UKA have screwed up with their scheduling this year without a doubt. It will be illuminating to see at the WC which athletes have gone off the boil due to bad timings of competition; i note that the Kenyan Champs/Trials are a mere fortnight before Doha; the USA Champs, on the other hand, were 2 and a half months before the WC.

Comment

• Laps
                    Laps commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They haven't screwed up, this is their choice. They want it this way. However I agree with the general consensus here that the Team championships could have an important place in promoting the sport with the amount of TV time available and GB always competing for the win rather than mid-table respectability. I sense to some extent that British Athletics have ended up here in part because of historical difficulties in getting top athletes to commit? We have never won it. Best place 2nd in 2010. So it's chicken and egg?
                    Last edited by Laps; 13-08-19, 09:09.

• This has become quite low profile and not a targetted event as it once was. I seem to recall all the big guns used to do this - but now our top athletes do not seem to give this any importance - and some officials too who cannot get a relay sheet right. How is this person still in a job? Watching this weekend in what is generally a poor standard in world terms and the NCAA division 1 champs would probably be a more compettive and exciting event - in fact maybe their winners if they made a team would win this event. I am not sure what the tactic is by the team management and performance department which could be interpreted as arrogance as the so called best athlete do not need this level of competition. For example, the pole vault, discus javelin hammer (ok they had bad days) high jump men and women were not at international standard as were some of the track events as well. Looking at the team as a whole that performed - you could count probably on one hand athletes who would make their individual finals at the WC and one or two with medal chances. I looked at the stats and the UK get 5-7 medals at the WC and that is similar to pre lottery days which begs the question, what has lottery done to move the event forward. I have been watching for some time and I am not sure if there is a plan to develop talent - just wait for it to arrive and then decline. Jody Williams and even Adam Gemilie were superstar youngsters but have done little since they emerged and I suppose you could say Gemillie and Kilty have made their names indoors where maybe it is not as competitive and a bit of a side show to the main event outdoors but neither have done much on the world level outdoors. Pre lottery we have many world beaters and famous names but since we have had lottery we have had only a handfull of names who have been so prominant. I guess what I really am getting at is that it seems lottery has really been the spark for other Olympic sports while track and field - the main sport -really has not appeared to be a major beneficiary in terms of results although facilities are now as good as anywhere in the world. I wonder if their is a program but I feel that athletics is regressing as a TV attraction and we need more big names like our female sprinter and the heptathlete.
                  Last edited by Happyjogger; 14-08-19, 19:49.

Comment

• Laps
                    Laps commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hello philipo II.

• Originally posted by Happyjogger View Post
                  This has become quite low profile and not a targetted event as it once was. I seem to recall all the big guns used to do this - but now our top athletes do not seem to give this any importance - and some officals too who cannot get a relay sheet right. How is this person still in a job? Watching this weekend in what is generally a poor standard on world terms and the NCAA division 1 champs would probably be a more compettive and exciting event - in fact maybe their winners if they made a team would winn this event. I am not sure what the tactic is by the team management and performance department which could be interpreted as arrogance as the so called best athlete do not need this level of competition. For example, the pole vault, discus javelin hammer (ok nthey had bad dyas) high jump men and women were not at intentaional standard as were some of the track events as well. Looking at the team as a whole that performed - you could count probably on one hand athletes who would make thier individual finals at the WC and one or two with medal chances. I looked at the stats and the UK get 5-7 medals at the WC and that is similar to pre lottery days which begs the question, what has lottery done to move the event forward. I have been watching for some time and I am not nsure if there is a plan to develop talent - just wait for it to arrive and then decline. Jody Williams adn even Adam Gemilie were superstar youngsters but have done little since they emerged and I suppose you could say GEmillie and Kilty have made their names indoors where maybe it is not as competitive and a bit of a side show to the main event outdoors but neother have done much on the world level outdoors. Pre lottery we have many world beaters and famous names but since we have had lottery we have had only a handfull of names who have been so prominant. I nguess what I really am getting at is that it seems lottery has really been the spark for other Olympic sports while track and field - the main sport -really has not appeared to be a major beneficiary in terms of results although facilities are now as good as anywhere in the world. I wonder if their is a program but I feel that athletics is regressing as a TV attraction and we need more big names like our female sprinter and the heptathlete.
                  there is much to agree with here and I certainly think that Lottery money has not led to significant improvement in athletics success in the UK unlike a number of sports in the Olympics.When our fortunes in byegone days are referred one receives pathetic attacks about how it aint true and we are as good in athletics performances as at other earlier times.
                  We seem to make mini heroes of our athletes with copious media exposure when they have done little to deserve it at global level.Lets recall that the most media stuff in this country regarding individual athletes in the last two years and still competing in track and field revolves around athletes who have not even medalled at global outdoors.

Comment

• A lot of our bigger names didn’t participate, but there were a fair few top level athletes from Germany, France and Italy who gave it a pass as well.

Maybe Stefanidi was on to something the other night, I suspect she was saying what a lot of other athletes were thinking but weren’t prepared to say. But it is a tricky equation, I doubt the EA coffers would stretch very far if they had to guarantee every athlete competing in Bydgoszcz some form of remuneration, the alternative is giving the bigger names a bigger slice of the pie and there’s already an unequal distribution of earnings in athletics. I would have liked to have seen Zharnel Hughes just as much as you Soviet but part of me can understand him skipping it if it meant doing 3 races when other meets are offering him a fee for doing 1 race. BAs attitude continues to frustrate, they selected a team minus virtually all our household names at last years World Cup and that was a home event

I see today that they’ve announced the first wave of athlete “ambassadors” for the Europe vs USA match, including Stefanidi, Duplantis and Rohler. The later two opted out of the ETC, the Europe / USA match does include appearance/ prize money so it looks like money talks. Having said that announcing competing athletes in advance may get more bums on seats in which case the appearance fees pay for themselves
                    Last edited by treadwater1; 13-08-19, 22:00.

Comment

Working...
                    X