European Team Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Laps View Post
    Anyone else like to try to pick the 3rd Day disasters?
    Ooh, that would be cruel.

Instead, I'll predict that Sarah Inglis, just a month after winning her first British vest, will be a hero of the weekend and win the 5000. It's not a super-tough field by any means but there is a couple who could upset that prediction - Liv Westphal (who beat Inglis in the European Cup 10,000), Hannah Klein and maybe Paulina Kaczynska. Inglis has decent 1500 speed though so if it's "tactical" (AKA slow) she should do well. Klein is faster but her form has been iffy the last year or so. Inglis doesn't mind front-running either so she may decide to make it attritional instead.
    Last edited by LuckySpikes; 11-08-19, 00:29.

Comment

There is no way British Athletics is going to pressure the top tier to compete in events like this. It is all about World Championship and Olympic medals, which are vital to maintain UKSport funding. So don't expect British Athletics to do anything that hampers medal contenders, their training, or their planned competition schedules. The fact that we are still competitive in many events and the youngsters get more chances and experience is a positive.
      you refer to "medal contenders". Whom do you have in mind? I mean apart from our three world class women athletes?

Comment

Originally posted by Ursus View Post

So our JTs were 63 and 46m, both stone last by over 4m. No disrespect to the individuals involved, they tried their best, but that’s club level. Will this be the nadir that finally forces some action? Bloody hope so.

Just catching up on the results now, all looks fairly underwhelming. I know it’s about the points, but did the men walk the 1500?
        i am sure that the spivs who run British Athletics have little or no interest inthe fate and appalling performances of most our field event performers, so long as they can pratttle with the ignorant British press about our three or four top athletes and boast like mad if we win a medal, they are as happy as larry.l

Comment

If Norway can get all three brothers and (prior to an injury) Warholm to double and the likes of Vicaut, Hejnova etc can be here, surely the likes of Morgan Lake, Shara Proctor etc can? In some events we’ve got people who are outside the top 10 in the country selected. Have to give props to the likes of Kilty (who I thought spoke really well) coming out and doing two 200s and the relay - he’s earning his spot at Doha the hard way!

Comment

• jjimbojames
            jjimbojames commented
            Editing a comment
            Jakob ran marginally quicker than Grice, so no more effort than him, other than travel, though we don’t know if they were based elsewhere. Point is, they turned up (as did Grice) but others can’t be bothered to break their training. The response was to the fact that top athletes were focusing on the worlds, so I merely listed several genuine medal contenders who have turned out for their country against people who are towards the bottom end of our top 10

• Laps
            Laps commented
            Editing a comment
            Delete "can't be bothered to break their training" and insert "think that departing from their competition plans, along with the travel and lost training time will undermine their preparations for the World Championships"

• jjimbojames
            jjimbojames commented
            Editing a comment
            Don’t get me wrong, I understand how funding works but by the same principle, if they don’t get the results come Doha, we will be hearing moans about them being dropped. Can’t have it both ways. Secondly, when big stars from other countries make it work to compete this weekend and then go onto win medals at Doha, I also doubt we will hear our no-shows telling us they could have done things differently!

Originally posted by jjimbojames View Post
          If Norway can get all three brothers and (prior to an injury) Warholm to double and the likes of Vicaut, Hejnova etc can be here, surely the likes of Morgan Lake, Shara Proctor etc can? In some events we’ve got people who are outside the top 10 in the country selected. Have to give props to the likes of Kilty (who I thought spoke really well) coming out and doing two 200s and the relay - he’s earning his spot at Doha the hard way!
          The likes of Morgan Lake ??? that athlete of epic inconsistency; who has disappointed many. over the last two years.

Comment

• jjimbojames
            jjimbojames commented
            Editing a comment
            That aside, she is 10cm better than who we have sent. She is one of many on funding but not turning up

• Laps
            Laps commented
            Editing a comment
            The funding and therefore the single minded concentration on the major championships is more likely the reason many are not turning up.
            I think you have this the wrong way round.

They are all different. In Grice's case it must have suited his purpose to compete this weekend.

Originally posted by philipo View Post

you refer to "medal contenders". Whom do you have in mind? I mean apart from our three world class women athletes?
          Anyone who has some sort of chance of getting a medal including relays. In 2017 there were 18 individual athletes who finished 1-8 (world class?), six of them 1-4. I don't see us as being weaker than in 2017 so there are plenty of outside chances. In my book these are contenders.

The point is that I think British Athletics is unlikely to do anything that interferes with those athletes chances. Interrupting their training for the best part of a week in the important run-up to the Worlds would be exactly that.

Comment

i am sure that the spivs who run British Athletics have little or no interest inthe fate and appalling performances of most our field event performers, so long as they can pratttle with the ignorant British press about our three or four top athletes and boast like mad if we win a medal, they are as happy as larry.l
            At this point in the World/Olympic cycle I imagine British Athletics are living on their nerves hoping and praying that nothing goes wrong with our top athletes. Like most sports they are just playing the UK Sport funding game which is mainly short/medium term. The pressure is on every cycle. Without medals Athletics faces the same funding fate as Badminton, Basketball.... So BA support the athletes that could conceivably win medals, try not to get in their way and neglect the long term including the throws. Just my observation of what seems to be happening.

Comment

das
              muir
              kjt
              mens 4 x 100
              womens 4 x 100
              prescod
              hughes
              langford
              grice
              butchard
              pozzi
              miller
              sharp
              mcolgan
              bradshaw
              proctor
              ugen
              long relays
              mixed relay

some of them are extreme long shots but they are al medal prospects

Comment

Originally posted by CAML View Post
                That was a long 4.5 hour broadcast even for an aficionado. Kilty spoke really well, should have been captain. Colin Jackson starting to look his age.
                I couldn't bear to watch BBC. I saw the whole thing on Eurovision Sports. Really good coverage, no chatbots, just wall to wall action, GB underperformances notwithstanding.

Comment

The likes of Morgan Lake ??? that athlete of epic inconsistency; who has disappointed many. over the last two years.
                  The same Morgan Lake who cleared 1.90 plus in ten successive competitions in 2018. As for 2019 the time to judge her will be 30th September.

Comment

The same Morgan Lake who cleared 1.90 plus in ten successive competitions in 2018. As for 2019 the time to judge her will be 30th September.
                    Someone on here mentioned that Lake's father Eldon had suffered a stroke earlier this year, so that might explain some of her withdrawals and inconsistency in competition in recent months.
                    Last edited by RunUnlimited; 11-08-19, 12:30.

Comment

A jogfest in the women's 1500 in the First League, won in 4:50 (!!) by Darya Barysevich (BLR) with a 57.5 last lap.

Comment

I'd *much* rather see Gemili and Sawyers out there at the ETC rather than gabbing with Gabby, but they are a pair of very well spoken people... A future as pundits when they eventually retire?

Comment

• carterhatch
                          carterhatch commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I think Ms. Sawyers is an absolute certainty for the reality TV circuit when she is ready ... I first saw her in the flesh at an indoor event at Lea Valley and she was a tiny bundle of hair, but has really made the most of her talent ... wish them both well, as I have said before Gemilli is a credit to his generation (see a recent tweet by statman jon if you have any doubt.) ... certainly better than the BBC's obsession with Colin Jackson, he may tick a number of diversity boxes, but he is the worst commentator EVER !

That Hitchon interview was a tough watch. She looked and sounded like a broken athlete. Three years on from Rio, now she's going back to her old technique. World Junior Champion, Olympic medallist, Britain's greatest ever hammer thrower, I'm surprised she persisted so long with a situation that wasn't working.

Comment

Ben williams! 17.14m! (+1.4 m/s)

Comment

Working...
                          X