No announcement yet.

European Team Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I thought, the Swiss doing well in the 4x1 from the 'B' race. GBR ladies did well for the calibre of the ladies in the line-up.

Comment

38.29 for the French an easy win. That was their 'A' line up for both the men and womeb though; They won't be troubling the medals at Worlds. GBR boys again ran well.

Comment

Originally posted by Laps View Post
        As usual in Team Championships we will have those who excel in the team format and the under performers who let the team down.
        Cruel I know but my predictions for the worst under performers -

Chris Baker
        Sophie Hitchon
        Women's 4x100m

Laps, now we are end of day 2 who has underperformed for you now?

Comment

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
          Very poor run by Nick Goolab in the 5000 for 9th place ... 4 or 5 points lost there. Italy's Yemane Crippa the expected winner.
          Goolab is so up and down it's almost unbelievable.

Comment

Originally posted by ibarnett01 View Post

Goolab is so up and down it's almost unbelievable.
            Yeah, after his great form on the roads earlier this year I had hopes he could make it to Doha in the 5000. He may still finish in the top 3 at the trials but, at the moment, I can't see him getting an 11s PB to get the standard.

Don't know if he's been a bit injured recently or what? Maybe sovietvest can hang around on some street corners in Teddington and find out?

Comment

I'll step in with easily the biggest under-performance in the ETC for Great Britain, and will probably be the case over the 3 days overall.... Nick Miller.

I only saw his 2nd round throw, but it looked like he wasn't even that bothered and didn't complete his normal number of turns, and it squibbed out to 66 meters. Then next time I saw him he was stepping out of the cage with a big fat "X" on his 3rd and final throw.

Had he thrown his season's best, he would have WON that event, ahead of the world #1 Polish thrower. Instead he was 12 *meters* down on that and finished 10th.

Pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post

Sorry! I wished that wasn't the case, but... yeah. It is what it is.
                So our JTs were 63 and 46m, both stone last by over 4m. No disrespect to the individuals involved, they tried their best, but that’s club level. Will this be the nadir that finally forces some action? Bloody hope so.

Just catching up on the results now, all looks fairly underwhelming. I know it’s about the points, but did the men walk the 1500?

Comment

France have been disqualified in the men's 4 x 100 so looks like 12 points for a GB win.

Comment

I doubt it - they’ll probably cite the fact both underperformed (Walton massively so) and move on. They need to sort out some of these selections as well - instead of rubbish about “bleeding the stars of the future” they need to have serious conversations with people on funding who are in the top 10 and why they’re not here competing.

Can’t even get their social media right - they got a stat wrong about an athlete earlier and when I corrected them they just deleted the original tweet! Doesn’t suggest an NGB at the top of their game.

Unfortunate timing, but Miller hitting the press for hammer being disrespected and then he gives that performance! I really hope Hitchon gets it right tomorrow and gets back on the right side of progress...

Comment

A GB performance that was likely missed was Naomi Ogbeta jumping her longest and second longest jumps - 13.90m (+1.9 m/s) and 13.83m (+1.6 m/s) respectively - outdoors this year so far, to finish a respectable 7th in the triple jump. She's getting closer to the standard for Doha, and hopefully at the trials she will have helpful wind and weather conditions to get the 14.15m required.

Comment

Originally posted by jjimbojames View Post
                        I doubt it - they’ll probably cite the fact both underperformed (Walton massively so) and move on. They need to sort out some of these selections as well - instead of rubbish about “bleeding the stars of the future” they need to have serious conversations with people on funding who are in the top 10 and why they’re not here competing.

Can’t even get their social media right - they got a stat wrong about an athlete earlier and when I corrected them they just deleted the original tweet! Doesn’t suggest an NGB at the top of their game.

Unfortunate timing, but Miller hitting the press for hammer being disrespected and then he gives that performance! I really hope Hitchon gets it right tomorrow and gets back on the right side of progress...
                        Suggestion for selection in the ETC... Any athlete who is ranked in the Top 5 of their respective event in Europe that year, and *are not* reigning continental or global champions, or junior athletes at their respective event, *will* be obligated to compete in the ETC. Failure to comply without a damned good reason (serious injury/family bereavement) might put their selection for major championships at risk, or if they are on UKA funding, risk having that reduced or cut altogether.

Too draconian?

Comment

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post

20 minutes of unbroken field event action, hardly any of it featuring British athletes ... ... BBC executives have just been on the blower to Gabby, "Right, that's more than enough of that! Get a fluff piece on."

Gabby apologised to the audience for too much field action later

Worst British underperformance award: Nick Miller

Congrats to Chris McAllister for getting the Doha qualification time.

Comment

That was a long 4.5 hour broadcast even for an aficionado. Kilty spoke really well, should have been captain. Colin Jackson starting to look his age.

Comment

Ha ha. Fair effort by Chris Baker getting good points and the 4x100m ladies were just fine.
                              As usual there were some underachievers but hard to predict them.
                              The worst by a mile, Nick Miller, who's excuse was a wasp sting. Nick Goolab was also poor, having run very well in this competition two years ago.

Anyone else like to try to pick the 3rd Day disasters?

Comment

Originally posted by jjimbojames View Post
                                They need to sort out some of these selections as well - instead of rubbish about “bleeding the stars of the future” they need to have serious conversations with people on funding who are in the top 10 and why they’re not here competing.
                                There is no way British Athletics is going to pressure the top tier to compete in events like this. It is all about World Championship and Olympic medals, which are vital to maintain UKSport funding. So don't expect British Athletics to do anything that hampers medal contenders, their training, or their planned competition schedules. The fact that we are still competitive in many events and the youngsters get more chances and experience is a positive.

Comment

Working...
                                X