Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• European Team Championships

British team named: https://www.britishathletics.org.uk/...n-team-champs/

Quite a few big names giving it a miss, but great to see Jodie Williams and Beth Dobbin named on the 4x400m squad!

Absolutely loving Oli Bromby finally getting a senior vest! I've known him & trained with him since 2012 & watching him ascend to this level has been great to see.

Comment

The M4x100m (and to a lesser extent, 4x400m) team is certainly about giving athletes a chance! On the positive, they’ve got time to run together and work on technique, which will help, but would have been nice to have a figure like Rooney in the 4x4 to be the elder statesman/calming influence, to help settle nerves. All the big names obviously focusing on their own training, though

Comment

Originally posted by jjimbojames View Post
        The M4x100m (and to a lesser extent, 4x400m) team is certainly about giving athletes a chance!
        I totally agree but my question is - Aren't athletes on relay funding obliged to run relays when asked ?

Comment

• Laps
          Laps commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes. So you have to assume that the selectors didn’t ‘ask’ because there are bigger fish to fry.

The M4x100m (and to a lesser extent, 4x400m) team is certainly about giving athletes a chance! On the positive, they’ve got time to run together and work on technique, which will help, but would have been nice to have a figure like Rooney in the 4x4 to be the elder statesman/calming influence, to help settle nerves. All the big names obviously focusing on their own training, though
        He's named on the link you posted...

Nice to see athletes given a chance but a lot of if it's a bit underwhelming.

No disrespect to Tom Hewson, he's a good talent, but its a damning indictment that our mJT has just won the Schools and has only thrown over 70m once in his life

Comment

I know Rooney is for the 4x400 - I meant it would be nice to have someone in that role on the 4x100m side - should have been clearer.

I think there’s a few events where we’re not strong...one assumes people have turned down places, which is a shame.
          Last edited by jjimbojames; 26-07-19, 15:45.

Comment

I think if an experienced head is what is needed on the 4x100 team, Kilty has that covered. Not the same I know, but still!

Comment

Originally posted by sprintdude View Post

I totally agree but my question is - Aren't athletes on relay funding obliged to run relays when asked ?
              You’d think!

Comment

I know Rooney is for the 4x400 - I meant it would be nice to have someone in that role on the 4x100m side - should have been clearer.

I think there’s a few events where we’re not strong...one assumes people have turned down places, which is a shame.
                Ah, see what you meant!

Agreed. This event doesn’t have the lustre of yesteryear.

Comment

Looking ahead, with the single and mixed sex 4x400 relays, all ladies should get a run out. Who do you put in each one, firstly at these Champs and secondly with a view to Doha and beyond?

Comment

Asha Philip out of the 4x1, Nick Goolab in for the 5000m

Comment

The two hammer contests should be good, our best two throwers have been selected, France and Poland are both very strong in men’s and women’s.

Niclas Baker has been added to the relay squad also. He ran a 20.50 PB a few weeks ago which was questioned on Twitter as it was a big step forward, but he ran another PB over 400 at the weekend beating Lee Thompson so perhaps it was legit

Comment

Originally posted by treadwater1 View Post
                        The two hammer contests should be good, our best two throwers have been selected, France and Poland are both very strong in men’s and women’s.

Niclas Baker has been added to the relay squad also. He ran a 20.50 PB a few weeks ago which was questioned on Twitter as it was a big step forward, but he ran another PB over 400 at the weekend beating Lee Thompson so perhaps it was legit
                        Yeah, Niclas Baker has literally come out of nowhere this season. Before this year, he'd not broken 21 seconds for 200m, nor 47 seconds for the 400m. Then he runs that 20.50 (+2.0 m/s) in Belgium last month. Looking at his Po10 profile, Baker had been a hurdler as an U-17, coming 4th at the English Schools 100m hurdles in 2011. Then he disappeared from athletics for four years until coming back in 2015, but now as primarily a 200m/400m athlete. 2019 is easily his best one so far, and to run a 46.46 PB in the driving rain in Manchester was no mean feat. He's earned this call up to ETC relay squad.

Comment

Final team entries for the Super League are now up - https://www.european-athletics.org/m...te_English.pdf

Comment

Norway sending in the big guns in quest for promotion - all three Ingebrigtsen brothers and Warholm competing

Comment

Working...
                            X