Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK U23/U20/U17 2023 Outdoor Results

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ian Hodge reports 51.46 pb and Euro u20 qualifier for Sam Lunt. over 400h. Quite a big pb to, down from 51.93 set only a few days ago, and pole vaulting over Onyeka Okoh at the top of the UK u20 rankings. He's improved in every hurdles race he's run this year, starting with a first stab at the u20 hurdles of 54.03 at the end of April.

Comment

• Noah Hanson, for about the 15th time in the past fortnight or so, produced a great run despite a fierce headwind. At the South of England Champs, Hanson won the U20 110m hurdles in 13.97, a PB in just his 3rd ever race over the 99.1cm barriers, and done into a -3.3 m/s wind too! He finished well ahead of Joe Purbrick (14.21) and Ruben Hedman (14.28), while UK U20 leader Daniel Goriola was a DNS before the race.

Hanson will surely get the 13.80 Euro U20 qualifying standard sooner rather than later, in more favourable wind conditions.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
        Occasional Hope commented
        Editing a comment
        I hope Goriola isn't injured.

• RunUnlimited
        RunUnlimited commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmm, well Goriola also ran in the U20 100m heats and final, finishing in 4th place (11.32), as did Noah Hanson btw. Perhaps he didn't want to push himself too hard with 110m heats and finals the following day?

• Originally posted by RunUnlimited
      Speaking of the Southern England Champs, someone on this thread mentioned that Faith Akinbileje hadn't made an appearance yet this year. Well, you need not worry as last year's European U18 200m and Medley Relay gold medallist made her season's debut yesterday, which culminated in her winning the U20 100m in 11.96, Akinbileje, like everyone in the sprint events yesterday, having to deal with strong headwinds throughout the day, and that was no different in the final that was run into a -2.4m/s one.
      minus 2.4 doesn’t do it justice - that wind was horrible.

Also worth noting that the sprinters all had to warm up on a pretty uneven football pitch (which if you’re feeling brave you could try a fast stride on, but from what I saw no one did), with no blocks for practice starts either. To be fair to SEAA, finding an alternative venue at short notice on a weekend where most stadia are being used for the YDL must have been tricky, but it’s fair to expect a lot more to come
      from any of the sprinters there this weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paps

minus 2.4 doesn’t do it justice - that wind was horrible.

Also worth noting that the sprinters all had to warm up on a pretty uneven football pitch (which if you’re feeling brave you could try a fast stride on, but from what I saw no one did), with no blocks for practice starts either. To be fair to SEAA, finding an alternative venue at short notice on a weekend where most stadia are being used for the YDL must have been tricky, but it’s fair to expect a lot more to come
        from any of the sprinters there this weekend.
        I'm wondering if Akinbileje, (as well as other sprinters who DNS yesterday and today) not competing in the 200m had something to do with the issues with the warm up area?

And on that point, it just calls into question why EA, knowing that Chelmsford was going to be getting renovated (a venture that can often be delayed), didn't have a back up venue as a contingency plan, just in case any issues with the main host venue turned up. Doing all of this at effectively the last moment, with a lot of athletes, their coaches and families having already booked hotels and accommodation in Chelmsford, just smacks of rank unprofessionalism from the association.

There could be young athletes having what could be the season of their lives, either having already achieved a qualifying standard for the Euro U23s, U20s or CWYG, or aiming to do so in the EA U20/U23 Champs themselves, and this could end up being their only shot at representing their nation at a continental championships.... And they could end up missing out because English Athletics just couldn't properly plan ahead.

Hopefully Chelmsford will be ready in time for the athletes to compete in. ​

Comment

• Paps
          Paps commented
          Editing a comment
          I suspect that may well have played a part in the thinking of a few - I know for sure it did with 1 who I coach.

Just to clarify because I think there may be some confusion from your comment, this was the South of England Champs, so not organised by England Athletics. The England U20/23 champs may still be moved, but it isn’t confirmed yet and England have announced their alternative venue is only 30miles away. Hopefully it’ll be ready by then, but if not it won’t be too challenging to go there instead.

I gather the issue is just line painting, and there are so few providers of that service these days - an indictment on the amount of tracks being renovated I suppose. If there was more demand, I’m sure others would be in business too.

• Exciting U17 multi event prospect Thea Brown, shared the U20 high jump gold medal at the Northern Senior & U20 Outdoor Championships, with U20 Callie Coates, with both going over 1.74m. For Brown, that was a season's best and equalled the high jump qualifying height for the Commonwealth Youth Games, making that the second individual event she's achieved that for following her 13.66 PB over U18 100m hurdles in April.

Thea would then feature in the U20 200m final, which also had World U20 200m finalist Sophie Walton in it. Walton would win in 23.81 (-1.2) while 2nd place was claimed by Charlotte Kelsey in a 24.25 PB despite the headwind. Also setting a PB was 3rd placed U17 Niamh Le'Gall in 24.61, not far away from the CWYG Q time of 24.30. Brown would finish 6th in 24.94.

Charlotte Kelsey's 200m personal best was her 2nd of the championships, as she had won the U20 women's 400m in 55.13 the day before.

Comment

• The junior men's sprints haven't got going yet in 23, but Rusciano Thomas-Riley looks a top prospect.

Comment

• RunUnlimited
            RunUnlimited commented
            Editing a comment
            Medwin Odamtten was looking like "that guy" during the winter, running 6.67 three times and under 6.70 a total of five times in the 60m, putting him in the top 10 U20s over the distance in the world this year....
            But then he pulled up in the British Indoor Champs with what looked like a hamstring and he hasn't competed since the 18th of Feb. A real shame, because he looked like a top contender in the European U20s this year.

Rusciano Thomas-Riley does look a very good prospect though, that is true. Plus youngsters (U17s) Teddy Wilson and Ebuka Nwokeji, along with first year U20 Dejuane Lingard, have all come close to the EU20 Q standard of 10.50.

And Sean Anyaogu did get it last week.

• A couple of results early on at the Irena Szewińska Memorial featured British U23 athletes.

In the men's 110m heats, BUCS 60m hurdles champion Joseph Agbodza and Tom Wilcox competed. Wilcox, who finished 3rd in those BUCS indoors but finished ahead of Agbodza in the outdoor champs a month ago, was last in his heat in 14.19 (-1.9). Agbodza, who's appearance here represented his first ever competition overseas on the international stage finished one place better and achieved a PB of 14.03 (+0.7), getting within touching distance of the European U23 Q standard of 13.90.

Comment

• Then Matthew Stonier improved his SB to 3.34.43 in third place.

Comment

• It's 3rd position for Matthew Stonier in the 1500m at the Irena Szewińska Memorial, lowering his season's best to 3:34.43 and furthering his case of him being the favourite for the European U23 title, if he decides to compete in it.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
                Occasional Hope commented
                Editing a comment
                I hope he does.

• RunUnlimited
                RunUnlimited commented
                Editing a comment
                Same here Occasional Hope. Still fairly early days in the outdoor season for some of the top middle distance runners in the U23 age group, but so far, Stonier is nearly 3 seconds quicker than anybody else in the category.

• I thought Abigail Ives looked bit overwhelmed in her race in Huelva and held back a bit too much, Decent time though, 2.00.82, which would look better if she hadn't had that sub 2 run recently

Comment

• Abigail Ives in the A 800m race in Huelva came in 7th, clocking 2:00.82. Only herself and Switzerland's Audrey Werro have run quicker as U20s in Europe so far.

Comment

• An u15 name to watch: Evan Grime ran 3.54.36 at the BMC Leeds meeting yesterday. A 5 second pb, best British u15 of all time.

I think he must be the son of his coach, former British international Ian Grime.
                  Last edited by Occasional Hope; 06-06-23, 22:29.

Comment

• Big PBs by Eloise Walker and Megan Keith today. No times as yet but looked like sub 8:50 for Eloise with Megan maybe a couple of seconds down.
                  Eloise - 8:49:56
                  Megan - 8:52:51 (8.6 second PB)
                  Last edited by Loop-guru; 07-06-23, 19:47.

Comment

• From the BMC thread:
                    *Lyla Belshaw U17 in 2nd place 4:17:51 tops the U17 list this year and 11th bestall time.*
                    That's a 5 second PB, and she's only a first year u17.

Comment

• Another impressive result from BMC was first year u20 James Dargan's 3.44.47, dropping down from his usual 3 and 5000 where he has already impressed this year, and cutting a whopping 11 1/2 seconds over his 1500 PB set last year.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎