Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK viewers - VPN now cheapest option for Gold meetings + Watching the French meetings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK viewers - VPN now cheapest option for Gold meetings + Watching the French meetings

Get a VPN to watch the Indoor Tour Gold & Continental Tour Gold meetings?

As mentioned previously on this forum, for the next 5 or 6 years at least, a new subscription streaming service has the exclusive rights in the UK to broadcast 6 of the 7 Indoor Tour Gold meetings (except Birmingham) and all 14 of the Continental Tour Gold meetings. That's 20 of the top one-day meetings now behind a paywall !! There is a cheap solution though ...

In order to watch these meetings, you'll need to either
    a) Sign up to that streaming service for a hefty £14.99 per month which gives you access to all their sports, Nordic drama, documentaries & films
    OR
    b) Get a VPN (quite cheaply - see below) and use it to watch these Gold meetings on the World Athletics YouTube channel, as well as giving you access to all the other geo-blocked athletics TV broadcasts throughout the year (some detailed further below).

My unreserved recommendation for a VPN is NordVPN. I can truly say it's excellent, very easy to use and very reasonably priced if you go for the best value option - £71.76 for a 2-year Standard plan (you pay up front) - and it works out even cheaper than that for the first 2 years if you follow my advice below (see about cashback below).

To use NordVPN after installing the program, you just open the desktop app and click the country you want to connect to from the list on the left left-hand-side. It connects in a few seconds and the speed it offers isn't discernably different than my usual internet connection. It's very easy to use and, furthermore, I've never had any issues with it. There's also an app for smartphones which works very smoothly too.

Here's the thing ... You can currently get 34% cashback by purchasing NordVPN via TopCashback - https://www.topcashback.co.uk/nordvpn/ - That would be £24.40 cashback bringing the cost of 2 years' VPN service down to just £47.36.

You need to be a member of TopCashback to get that cashback (it's free to join and use) and there's no catch to the offer. TopCashback is totally legit, with loads of other ways of saving you a lot of money on regular spending. Over the years I've received over £1,400 cashback! If you do join TopCashback, please do so using my link - https://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/gavin01 That way, I get a bit of commission and you also get a £10 sign-up bonus, cashable when you withdraw your cashback from a transaction/s (this doesn't affect how much cashback you get.)

The cashback from NordVPN will be "pending" for about 8 weeks before it's confirmed and you can then withdraw the cash - that's to guard against people cancelling the transaction.
    Just so you're aware, to get the heavily discounted 2-year plan again after your first 2 years you'd need to cancel your subscription shortly before it expires, otherwise it will automatically renew at £84 per year. Then, to qualify again for the discounted plan and the cashback from TopCashback, I think you'd need to set up a new NordVPN account (with a different email address). I'm testing that out soon when my subscription expires in March.

As well as the Indoor & Continental Tour Gold meetings you could also use a VPN to watch the following geo-blocked TV broadcasts (a non-exhaustive list) ...
    • If you get fed up of the BBC's coverage you could instead watch the world feeds for the World Championships, European Championships, Commonwealth Games, European Indoors & World Indoors (I link to all of these feeds in the Live Streaming Links thread)
    • The Finnish GP meetings (5 or 6 per summer, all Conti Tour meetings)
    • The Swedish GP meetings (3 per summer, all Conti Tour) & 2 or 3 Swedish indoor meetings on the Indoor Tour
    • The ISTAF Berlin meetings (outdoors & indoors) and a couple of other German Conti Tour meetings
    • National championships in countries where they're broadcast on TV, e.g., Germany, Spain, Italy ...
    • Italian road race and cross country TV broadcasts
    • The official live streams of Japanese TV broadcasts (rather than relying on the occasionally spotty unofficial streams)
    Getting a VPN has, for me, been worth the cost many times over. Now I have very few frustrations when it comes to watching athletics meetings.

If you have any questions or concerns about NordVPN or TopCashback, please ask away.

The post below is regarding watching the French meetings on the World Indoor Tour ...​

How to watch the French indoor (& outdoor) meetings

Although the European Athletics YouTube channel will be live streaming the Silver World Indoor Tour meetings in Val-de-Reuil, Mondeville & Metz there's still a number of good French indoor meetings that you can only watch if you sign up for one month to the very affordable AthleTV (the French Federation's streaming service.) If it was twice the price I wouldn't be making a point of recommending it.

The indoor meetings you'd need it for are:
    • 28 Jan - Meeting indoor Nantes Métropole - Bronze
    • 28 Jan - Meeting National Indoor Lyon - Bronze
    • 28 Jan - Perche en Or (Roubaix/Tourcoing) - Challenger; International PV meeting
    • 28 - 29 Jan - Meeting X-Athletics (Aubiere) - Silver Combined Events World Tour
    • 3 Feb - Elite Indoor Track Miramas meeting - Bronze
    • 11 - 12 Feb - French U23 Championships (Miramas)
    • 18 - 19 Feb - French Championships (Aubiere)
    • And likely at least another couple of stops on the Perche Elite Tour in February - international Pole Vault meetings
    It's only 4.99 Euros for one month (£4.39 at current rates) and very easy to sign up for. Go to https://athletv.fr/ and click "Sign Up" top right. Then fill in your details and click the Sign Up button. Verify your email according to the English instructions and then once logged in you can find where to purchase one month's subscription by going to "Account" via your initials top right and, under your resulting details, click "Discover" from where you can find the 4.99 eur/month option ... The website detects you're in the UK and so everything is in English.

All these meetings are also available to watch on-demand and the broadcasts are pretty much TV standard. You can cancel your subscription any time so that it doesn't reccur and you'll still get your full month of streaming.

Again, any questions are welcome.​

Comment

• LuckySpikes
      LuckySpikes commented
      Editing a comment
      I can't comment my first post (and don't want to risk editing it), but if you have Sky or Virgin TV you can watch the GOLD meetings there - see post # 4 for details..

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
    Get a VPN to watch the Indoor Tour Gold & Continental Tour Gold meetings?

As mentioned previously on this forum, for the next 5 or 6 years at least, a new subscription streaming service has the exclusive rights in the UK to broadcast 6 of the 7 Indoor Tour Gold meetings (except Birmingham) and all 14 of the Continental Tour Gold meetings. That's 20 of the top one-day meetings now behind a paywall !! There is a cheap solution though ...

In order to watch these meetings, you'll need to either
    a) Sign up to that streaming service for a hefty £14.99 per month which gives you access to all their sports, Nordic drama, documentaries & films
    OR
    b) Get a VPN (quite cheaply - see below) and use it to watch these Gold meetings on the World Athletics YouTube channel, as well as giving you access to all the other geo-blocked athletics TV broadcasts throughout the year (some detailed further below).

My unreserved recommendation for a VPN is NordVPN. I can truly say it's excellent, very easy to use and very reasonably priced if you go for the best value option - £71.76 for a 2-year Standard plan (you pay up front) - and it works out even cheaper than that for the first 2 years if you follow my advice below (see about cashback below).

To use NordVPN after installing the program, you just open the desktop app and click the country you want to connect to from the list on the left left-hand-side. It connects in a few seconds and the speed it offers isn't discernably different than my usual internet connection. It's very easy to use and, furthermore, I've never had any issues with it. There's also an app for smartphones which works very smoothly too.

Here's the thing ... You can currently get 34% cashback by purchasing NordVPN via TopCashback - https://www.topcashback.co.uk/nordvpn/ - That would be £24.40 cashback bringing the cost of 2 years' VPN service down to just £47.36.

You need to be a member of TopCashback to get that cashback (it's free to join and use) and there's no catch to the offer. TopCashback is totally legit, with loads of other ways of saving you a lot of money on regular spending. Over the years I've received over £1,400 cashback! If you do join TopCashback, please do so using my link - https://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/gavin01 That way, I get a bit of commission and you also get a £10 sign-up bonus, cashable when you withdraw your cashback from a transaction/s (this doesn't affect how much cashback you get.)

The cashback from NordVPN will be "pending" for about 8 weeks before it's confirmed and you can then withdraw the cash - that's to guard against people cancelling the transaction.
    Just so you're aware, to get the heavily discounted 2-year plan again after your first 2 years you'd need to cancel your subscription shortly before it expires, otherwise it will automatically renew at £84 per year. Then, to qualify again for the discounted plan and the cashback from TopCashback, I think you'd need to set up a new NordVPN account (with a different email address). I'm testing that out soon when my subscription expires in March.

As well as the Indoor & Continental Tour Gold meetings you could also use a VPN to watch the following geo-blocked TV broadcasts (a non-exhaustive list) ...
    • If you get fed up of the BBC's coverage you could instead watch the world feeds for the World Championships, European Championships, Commonwealth Games, European Indoors & World Indoors (I link to all of these feeds in the Live Streaming Links thread)
    • The Finnish GP meetings (5 or 6 per summer, all Conti Tour meetings)
    • The Swedish GP meetings (3 per summer, all Conti Tour) & 2 or 3 Swedish indoor meetings on the Indoor Tour
    • The ISTAF Berlin meetings (outdoors & indoors) and a couple of other German Conti Tour meetings
    • National championships in countries where they're broadcast on TV, e.g., Germany, Spain, Italy ...
    • Italian road race and cross country TV broadcasts
    • The official live streams of Japanese TV broadcasts (rather than relying on the occasionally spotty unofficial streams)
    Getting a VPN has, for me, been worth the cost many times over. Now I have very few frustrations when it comes to watching athletics meetings.

If you have any questions or concerns about NordVPN or TopCashback, please ask away.

The post below is regarding watching the French meetings on the World Indoor Tour ...​

Thanks so much I got the VPN today. Love Topcashback - have used it for years. I am sending you a direct message as have a query, Thanks again for taking the time to share so much info. It's appreciated.

Comment

Here's a list of where it's all being shown, for those of you who find yourself transported on a magic carpet ride to North Macedonia for a couple of hours on Friday evening.

How to follow and watch the World Athletics Indoor Tour Gold meeting in Karlsruhe | NEWS | World Athletics

Comment

Good news is that it is on Viaplay Xtra - ie the old Freesports - on Sky CH 422 & Virgin Ch 553.

Comment

How the BBC, or heck, even Eurosport, haven't picked this up for broadcast, is beyond me.

Comment

• LuckySpikes
            LuckySpikes commented
            Editing a comment
            The BBC seem half-hearted towards athletics these days.

• Grassmarket
            Grassmarket commented
            Editing a comment
            WA are selling these events as a package now, so I suppose it’s a harder fit with Rugby etc. BBC will have Brum & the Europeans so I guess they feel that is duty done for the winter season.
        Working...
        X