Spar British Athletics Indoor Championships 9-10 February

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spar British Athletics Indoor Championships 9-10 February

Better folk than I, usually have sorted out a new topic in advance for such an occasion, but alas times have changed, and I felt a need to get pre-event discussion up and running...

So this weekend's Spar British Athletics Indoor Championships

I note the BBC have two related articles in the their build up... a focus on Dwain Chambers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/47141466

and

'Laviai Nielsen riding the wave of European run'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/47079085

But my question to fellow forum users is this ... If Imani Lansiquot is running tonight (6th Feb) at the
    Orlen Copernicus Cup, see AW article on the event, what is the thinking behind her not being on the acceptance list, of the British Indoor Championships, for the 60m? Why would a young athlete miss out on the national championships ?

im not sure about lansiquot, maybe she has decided not to do the europeans, i can understand dina not doing them because she has a chance of medals at the worlds, but there is a long list of people who should be there but wont be - the mens 400 never turn up despite then not being in with a medal shot individually at the worlds, pretty much every event has one or two missing who should be there, its the same every year

Comment

off the top of my head - hughes, nmb , hudson smith, ujah , gemili, yousef, cowan, rooney, wieghtman, lansiquot, nieta, onura, proctor, bradshaw were all medalists at the europeans last year thast i dont think are planning to do indoors, not sure about ugen either - its disgraceful (some might be there, i havent checked entirely but most wont)

Comment

I know I'm probably a lone voice here, but I'm delighted to see Chambers back. Yes, he sullied the name of the sport with what he did in the past, and he was rightly punished and ostracised for it by many. But he hasn't put too many feet wrong in terms of doing what he can to demonstrate he recognised the fundamental errors he made.

And by coming out of retirement, he's demonstrating that he is someone who is dyed in the wool as an athlete. And I think we need more of those, people for whom this sport is *everything* to them.

Comment

http://extranet.britishathletics.org...able/Index/163

bradshaw and nmb are going to be there according to the entry lists, no reece prescod though

Comment

Some may be opting out thus year because they don't want to burn out with such a late outdoor championships. Also, 400i is rather a different kind of race from outdoors and doesn't suit everyone.

Comment

• drobbie
              drobbie commented
              Editing a comment
              dosent seem to suit any of them

• Sovietvest
              Sovietvest commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't recall Black, Redmond, Thomas, etc ever running indoors. Those tight bends don't suit the typical build of a 400m runner. It's no coincidence that the more diminutive types - e.g. Danny Caines and Todd Bennett - are so high in our all-time list. The risk of injury must be a factor as well.

• trickstat
              trickstat commented
              Editing a comment
              Black did do some indoors very early in his career (Euro indoors before he won the Euro Juniors) and I think Thomas did a few races early on as well. I don't recall Redmond ever running indoors but I may be wrong. You can add Jamie Baulch to the list of shorter Brits who did well at 400 indoors.

Pozzi is definitely a big miss and it's unsure whether Duckworth will take part, as for the others it's just par for the course these days, BA don't stipulate that they must compete, even at a home championships. I know Wightman is injured as are a few others. No Lee Thompson either after his 46.2 last year

im particularly looking forward to seeing what shape Edoburun is in, he looked very good during last years indoor season before his DQ. Women's events look very competitive from 60 all the way up to 3000, there should be some good races
            Last edited by treadwater1; 08-02-19, 21:14.

Comment

Originally posted by larkim View Post
              I know I'm probably a lone voice here, but I'm delighted to see Chambers back. Yes, he sullied the name of the sport with what he did in the past, and he was rightly punished and ostracised for it by many. But he hasn't put too many feet wrong in terms of doing what he can to demonstrate he recognised the fundamental errors he made.

And by coming out of retirement, he's demonstrating that he is someone who is dyed in the wool as an athlete. And I think we need more of those, people for whom this sport is *everything* to them.
              Couldn't agree more - I grew to love Dwain. His book, along with David Millar's are great insights into what leads people to dope. I read both books and couldn't honestly say that,had I been in their shoes I wouldn't have done exactly what they did.

Comment

Same here, Sovietvest. Hopefully Chambers will go well and be allowed to enjoy his weekend.

Comment

Bit optimistic having the Triple Jump measurement board marked with 18m, or is just to show how woefully short the current crop are of JE's great marks?

Comment

Markhim Lonsdale has found it a bit difficult making his way in senior racing since he ran 1:46 at 18yo. When you've suddenly got competiton again it changes the game. Still has plenty of time though at just 20 yo now.

Comment

good performances by ogbeta with 14.05 and bleasdale with 4.80 , alision leonard (lundy now) finish ing last in her heat of the 800, anyone know whats happened to her over the last couple of years?

Comment

Originally posted by drobbie View Post
                        ... alision leonard (lundy now) finish ing last in her heat of the 800, anyone know whats happened to her over the last couple of years?
                        She's never been the same since she wasn't picked for Rio (I think it was Rio?) Perhaps it her really hard and/or she's had difficulty with motivation? ... I don't know.

Comment

A bit of a leap forward from Haydock-Wilson today, his outdoor PB from last year was 47.19. We could do with some new blood in that event, he#s only 19. Good to see Smith and Somers running PBs too, Chalmers looked pretty good aswell.

KJT looks to be in better form than she was going into last years world indoors

Comment

Originally posted by drobbie View Post
                            good performances by ogbeta with 14.05 ...
                            Oh yes, she's very promising. Seeing Laura Samuel is a bit frustrating though - she was a 13.75 athlete in 2010 and seems to have made no progress since then.

Comment

Working...
                            X