No announcement yet.

World Athletics U20 Championships 2022, Cali, Colombia, 1st - 6th August: Day 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Athletics U20 Championships 2022, Cali, Colombia, 1st - 6th August: Day 5

After Yemi Mary John's magnificent gold medal yesterday, day 5 of these World Athletics U20 Championships initially starts off with a distinct lack of British participants, with nobody involved in the 10,000m race walks, nor the men's discus, or women's triple jump qualification rounds. It won't be until some two hours into the morning session that we'll see some GB athletes, as the heats for the 4x400m relay begin, with GB having men's and women's teams. Though he'll be likely saved for the final should the team safely negotiate these heats, Ed Faulds will get his chance to show the world what they missed having had his outdoor season so badly disrupted by the injury he picked up during the indoor season. Both teams have realistic prospects for winning medals, especially the women with the newly crowned (literally, as the tiara she brought to celebrate proved!) world champ Yemi Mary John likely on the anchor leg.

The afternoon session will have immediate action for Brit athletes, as the women's long jump final gets things underway and Molly Palmer, who qualified with the 2nd longest jump in the field, hopes to get in the shake up for a medal. Then Marli Jessop and Mia McIntosh look to make the final of the women's 100m hurdles from the semi final rounds. Team co-captain Samuel Reardon will battle to make it into the men's 800m final, and Sophie Walton, who set consecutive personal bests yesterday, will see if she can do it again in the women's 200m final, though she has been handed lane 1 yet again.
    Michael Allison did very well to make the javelin final and will be looking to break the 70m barrier, and finally, the women's 4x100m squad will be looking to medal following their national junior record setting effort in the heats yesterday.

I hope we don't regret resting YMJ there. Good leg by Ophelia Pye on 3rd.

Comment

• trickstat
      trickstat commented
      Editing a comment
      Nigeria too slow I think we're through.

Our heat team had 3 U18s in it which is promising.

Men only 4th in their heat.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
      MysteryBrick commented
      Editing a comment
      How did they run? Team looked weak to me, two men yet to break 48 this year.

• trickstat
      trickstat commented
      Editing a comment
      They seemed to rather front-load the team which I think wasn't a bad idea. I think there was probably slightly more chance of those guys in the team who were slower on paper managing to hang in there on the last 2 legs than our better runners being able to run down the leaders from behind. Nobody ran particularly badly or made any silly mistakes, it was just that the last 2 guys were outgunned on the last 2 legs by the Jamaicans, Spanish and the DQ'd Nigerians.

• Occasional Hope
      Occasional Hope commented
      Editing a comment
      And they outperformed the 4x1 guys just be completing the race

Mia McIntosh sadly a non starter in the semi. I hope she's not badly hurt after that stumble in the heat.

Comment

Kerrica Hill 12.87. Jamaican ladies are having a great comp

Comment

Marli Jessop 4th in her semi. Not a bad run.

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
          SprintRelayFan commented
          Editing a comment
          Finishes 10th in the world, not a bad outing. Just behind the indonesian, whose national jr wasn't enough!

Ethan Hussey qualifies very well for the men's 800m final.... Two middle distance finals + a PB in the 1500m final, so nicely done!
        Last edited by RunUnlimited; 05-08-22, 22:57.

Comment

Good race by Hussey.

Molly Palmer a bit disappointing in the LJ final, a best of 6.09 to finish 11th.

Comment

And Sam Reardon joins Ethan Hussey in the final.

It looks a bit wet out there.

Comment

Sam Reardon with a PB of 1:46.80, in the teeming rain, finishes 2nd to advance to the 800m final.

Comment

Weather probably less of a shock for the Brits than some of their opponents.

Comment

What a run from Reardon! Knew what he had to do and did it.

I think a medal is a bit unlikely for either as Kibet, Girma and Kewalski are all 1:44 men, but 2 men in the 800m final is fabulous and they definitely won't die wondering.

Comment

Oh dear, another rain stop.

Comment

Another baton disaster for the British.

WJR for Jamaica.

Comment

Drama in the men's relay, with SA DQ after thinking they had won, and Jamaica and USA messing up but getting medals.

Comment

Working...
                        X