No announcement yet.

Birmingham Day 4 - (Friday August 5th)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been thinking more about the 4x400m & quotas situation. Realistically England, Australia etc have only sent athletes here with a realistic chance of medals in their primary events. So they couldn’t afford to waste two-three medal shots by sending relay man who’d only win a single medal. The unfairness is that swimming or cycling never have that problem, given that everyone is a potential multi-eventer.

Comment

• jjimbojames
      jjimbojames commented
      Editing a comment
      Correct - I said the same earlier. We need to get used to this being the new MO, as team size restrictions seem to be the way things are going. Athletics is fortunate - at least it will always be on the programme, which many sports will not

• marra
      marra commented
      Editing a comment
      It's worth noting that even with the limited numbers, Athletics is still comfortably the biggest team for England with 91 athletes. Compare that to swimming (48) or cycling (34). So whilst it sucks not to have more home nations athletes here, athletics still gets protected more than some.

I’m currently pondering the likelihood of if an Aimee Pratt victory tonight. She beat Chemutai handsomely in Eugene - by 6 seconds. Hard to know what to expect from the Kenyans, they’ve shown very little this season.

Mens decathlon is very competitive between Dubler and Victor, it could go down to the wire

Comment

Decathlon fascinating. I feel Victor didn't really take what he'd have expected from the discus ; while Dubler pretty much gained what he was after from the PV so has a bit of a lead instead of those two events cancelling each other out. Victor is going to need to take all the advantage he nominally holds in the jav or he will face a very daunting run at the end of all this ! Could be a thrilling finish.

Re the 4x4 : I get the quota thing (not that I like it !) But it just seems wrong that the hosts had no entry in it - while even The Turks and Caicos Islands were able to raise a squad ! The point re swimming seems reasonable - but not sure much can be be done about it...

Comment

Ironically, smaller nations may well be better off entering relays, as they might have four average athletes that would do nothing in the individual but with others not selecting a team, may make a final.

A different question is how they weight size of teams/quotas…because some countries ONLY have athletes, whereas eg ENG have a range of sports to potentially cover

Comment

• treadwater1
          treadwater1 commented
          Editing a comment
          The CWG fed may need to look at the ratio of quota sizes. PNG have sent a total of 24 athletes, a lot of those athletes won’t finish in the top 8. I think it would be better for the quality of the competition overall if those were reconsidered. The next best English/Jamaican/Australian athletes who just missed out are likely to be considerably better than the 23rd or 24th best athlete from Papua New Guinea.

The commonwealth games should always be seen as the friendly games and it’s good to see athletes from smaller nations get given a chance to compete on such a big stage, but I feel the ratios are slightly out

• jjimbojames
          jjimbojames commented
          Editing a comment
          I think the issue is each country, rather than sport has a quota - so PNG may well be filling their quota largely by sending athletes, whereas Team England split their quota across the vast majority of sports…but we will notice that more because of watching athletics

• fchd
          fchd commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, the quotas are per nation across all sports (well apart from those that don't have specific qualifying systems).

So for instance, Rwanda has a quota of 20, plus 2 for their beach volleyball team that were automatically qualified. Of that 20, they only filled 15 (5 athletes (one of whom appears to have been withdrawn), 2 swimmers and 8 cyclists). I don't know if those 5 quota spots go back to be re-allocated or just get lost.

I dont think it has been acknowledged here yet ...

A good performance by all three ladies in the long jump to qualify. Irozuru showed great composure to land a good jump after two failures.

Of the three, I'd really like to see Lorraine Ugen find one very big jump to challenge for podium. Her funding- or lack of - has made this journey all the more remarkable, and a medal here might make the difference as to whether the governing body support her until Paris.

Jazmin Sawyers on the other hand could turn her hand to an inordinate number of careers and be a success. She is the benchmark at timing a peak to which all young athletes should aspire
        Last edited by carterhatch; 05-08-22, 16:14.

Comment

• ozjohn
          ozjohn commented
          Editing a comment
          I didn't watch the LJ but does anyone know what the story is with Tyra Gittens? Official site shows a distance outside top 12 but qR "Advanced To Next Round By Referee" - was it a no jump that was reexamined and valid?

• jjimbojames
          jjimbojames commented
          Editing a comment
          It must have been her second jump, as officially it’s a NJ

Ugen is an all or nothing jumper…it would just be nice to see how her comp goes if she lands a 6.75+ in the first round and uses the confidence to go much further, rather than having to do some damage limitation on the 3rd round jump!

Comment

Originally posted by treadwater1 View Post
          I’m currently pondering the likelihood of if an Aimee Pratt victory tonight. She beat Chemutai handsomely in Eugene - by 6 seconds. Hard to know what to expect from the Kenyans, they’ve shown very little this season.

Mens decathlon is very competitive between Dubler and Victor, it could go down to the wire
          After her outstanding runs in Eugene it would be excellent to see Pratt get a medal in the steeple.

Comment

Australia are carrying their good form from Eugene over to Birmingham, golds already from Kennedy, Denny, in a new PB, Stenson in the marathon. More to come in the high jump and possibly Dubler in the deca and the womens javelin. The English need to raise their game otherwise the Aussies will claim bragging rights

Comment

It will be a struggle with no DAS or Bradshaw, and with the top distance athletes being Scottish (Muir, Wightman/Kerr, McColgan all favourites or already achieved a gold).

Keely, MHS, Pratt, Miller, Coppell, maybe a relay or two - not sure who else might be contending for gold. We’d need most/all of these to come through if AUS gets at least six

Medal potential - wLJ (1 from 3), wHJ (1 from 3), w400m (Jodie or Vicky), w100H (Sember), m200m (Hughes, but would love Gemili to show up), m800m (Pattinson, ditto Webb showing up would be great - competition not outstanding), 1500m (wishful thinking for a slow-paced race and a GBR 123)

Comment

Originally posted by treadwater1 View Post
                Down to 1 Kenyan in the W Steeple, Celliphine Chespol having withdrawn.

The remaiming Kenyan, Jackline Chepkoech, has a PB run at the Pre Classic that's 0.3s slower than Aimee's. However, she's only 18 so maybe there's room for a sudden big improvement.

Comment

Zharnel through to the 200 final.

Comment

Gemili still looking out of form.

Comment

Hughes and Gemili poles apart those final 50m - Zharnel gliding across the track, Adam running through treacle. The former is the only threat to Richards in the final.

Comment

Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
                        Gemili still looking out of form.
                        20.97 with a +1.9…..out of form doesn’t even begin to cover it.

Time to close his season and reflect.

Comment

• jjimbojames
                          jjimbojames commented
                          Editing a comment
                          To be fair, his first 100m is looking decent - it’s the speed endurance that’s lacking…he might have been better going for the 100m. Good news for the relay, at least.

Just 0.01 outside her pb for Vicky O there. Good run.

Comment

• jjimbojames
                          jjimbojames commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Looks very good! Chance to get very close to 50.flat…hopefully she’s inside Williams in the final
                      Working...
                      X