Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RunUnlimited
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the correction on John's collegiate destination.

• treadwater1
    commented on 's reply
    Be careful when criticising U20 athletes

• LoveSprints1
    replied
    Yemi Mary John was formidable. Remarkable to take almost 1.5 seconds off a 400m time in one competition: 52.98-52.42-51.72-51.50

She is not going to Oregon or Texas. She signed to Michigan, where Josh Zeller studies.

https://mgoblue.com/sports/womens-tr...ary-john/23636
    Last edited by LoveSprints1; 05-08-22, 15:34.

Leave a comment:

• RunUnlimited
    commented on 's reply
    MysteryBrick Then perhaps he should mention that it was Sabrina Bakare and it was the World Youths in 2013, rather than the U20s? Also, unlike Bakare, Yemi Mary John had shown prior form with her silver medal at last year's European U20s, whereas Bakare came out of nowhere to become the top U18 in 2013, then virtually disappeared soon there after.

As for Mary John heading to Texas, I too have my misgivings about some of our junior athletes going Stateside to study and compete athletically (Molly Caudery's disastrous time there being a case in point), but as you say, Adeleke is going gangbusters since going there to study and Texas is world renown for it's 400m coaching set up.

• MysteryBrick
    commented on 's reply
    To be fair, he is talking about Sabrina Bakare, who won the World Youths in 2013 in 52.77 and was never able to better that, unfortunately.

Yemi is off to Texas next year. I'd prefer she not to end up in the NCAAs but Texas have a good 400m programme and in Rhasidat Adeleke an athlete from the British Isles who is succeeding there at the moment, so we can be hopeful.

• RunUnlimited
    commented on 's reply
    Replying to that idiot is usually a waste of time, hence why I've blocked them.

And no Marylimpid, your memory is as faulty as your attitude. GB have never had a World U20 champion for the women in the history of the championships, so 35 years. I thought a miserable old sod like yourself who pines constantly for the good old days would at least remember correctly.

• Mikka
    replied
    Originally posted by marilyn1 View Post

Is my memory correct. Did we have a 400m womens U20 gold in the past who did not go onto better things in the Seniors.
    Strong determined performance but I am quite surprised by her rather chunky physiognomy.
    No, I think your memory is failing you.
    I think you mean 'appearance' rather than 'physiognomy', which has a specific meaning. And that is not true; look at some photos of her again. She is on the short side, but very lean and slim.
    Many are surprised by your punky psychology.

Leave a comment:

• Occasional Hope
    commented on 's reply
    I think Azerbaijan makes it in as an ex Soviet Republic, And Israel for political reasons,

• jjimbojames
    commented on 's reply
    I think you mean Sabrina Bakare, who won the World Youths, before injury

• marilyn1
    replied
    Originally posted by Christy93 View Post
    Well, Yemi Mary John sure as hell shut down the 'best we can hope for are top 8 finishes' talk. Fab performance!
    Is my memory correct. Did we have a 400m womens U20 gold in the past who did not go onto better things in the Seniors.
    Strong determined performance but I am quite surprised by her rather chunky physiognomy.

Leave a comment:

• marilyn1
    replied
    Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post
    There was no showboating from Tebogo this time....
    Supposedly going to Oregon and will be used up in the dreaded ncaa system.!!

Leave a comment:

• Christy93
    replied
    Well, Yemi Mary John sure as hell shut down the 'best we can hope for are top 8 finishes' talk. Fab performance!

Leave a comment:

• trickstat
    commented on 's reply
    I was just checking that too. Neither Azebaijan or Israel fall within the traditional geographical boundaries of Europe!

• DerbyCountyinNZ
    commented on 's reply
    In a final with 6 Commonwealth athletes and no Americans. That's a good sign.

• Mikka
    commented on 's reply
    Afrifah improved by a full second this year
Working...
X