Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ladyloz
    replied
    Typical marilyn1 goes on a rant without reading, never mind comprehending what another poster is saying.

As someone who is far from an expert at swimming I found Christy93s post quite informative. I am at least expert enough to know that Scott & Guy are not competing at Europeans though.

Leave a comment:

• Christy93
    commented on 's reply
    That's literally the opposite of what I said. Duncan Scott isnt even competing, nor did he compete at worlds. Titmus skipped worlds, O'Callaghan went to worlds - It was the latter who set a 1s PB to almost beat the former, who was almost a second outside her PB, at CWG. You are clueless on this subject I am afraid Marilyn.

• marilyn1
    replied
    Originally posted by Christy93 View Post

Would add something as a runner whose sisters were both swimmers: The way swimmers train and taper is quite different and far harder to 'hold'. Imo performance of swimmers also deteriorates far quicker, and it's to do with their taper more than exhaustion. A missed taper in swimming is catastrophic for their performance.

For added context: It is not abnormal for swimmers to hold a taper for a month (the Americans always do it for Olympics!), and when done well it can been beneficial. British T&F athletes *should* be able to hold their taper from worlds through to Europeans if they have managed it well.

Now, the problem for British swimmers was a deep one. They tapered for trials in April, then again for Worlds in June, then the gap between worlds & CWG was a touch too long to hold, so they had to go back into hard work then taper down *again. That's three tapers already. They'll now be holding their CWG taper, but holding a taper off so little work between worlds & CWG = an almighty task. It works for the Americans because they (the pros, not college) are in heavy work all winter & spring, then do a taper for trials and hold it with all the hard work in the bank.

In short: Our athletes may be tired, but there will be no excuse for them to be in the place our swimmers are. None at all.
    All clever stuff about taper but it's a lot more than tapering, like the will, the competition . If you are telling me that our swimmers are as fresh and ready to go and as competitive as they should be when no other country has this particular triple issue (so you dont know how the top swimmers would fare), I think that what you stated is utterly oversimplified Even giants of competitiveness like Duncan Scott,,zTom Dean and Guy and others are clearly a shadow of their renowned best.
    How interesting that some of the brilliant best of Australian swimmers chose not to contest the world champs cos they considered it would jeopardise the CG.So much for tapering.
    Last edited by marilyn1; 12-08-22, 13:11.

Leave a comment:

• Christy93
    replied
    Originally posted by marilyn1 View Post
    Cant help reflecting when I am watching our knackered swimmers this morning that they had worlds and last weeks CG and now EC, that we remember that our athletes have also had a hard month as well. Expectations should be tempered.
    Would add something as a runner whose sisters were both swimmers: The way swimmers train and taper is quite different and far harder to 'hold'. Imo performance of swimmers also deteriorates far quicker, and it's to do with their taper more than exhaustion. A missed taper in swimming is catastrophic for their performance.

For added context: It is not abnormal for swimmers to hold a taper for a month (the Americans always do it for Olympics!), and when done well it can been beneficial. British T&F athletes *should* be able to hold their taper from worlds through to Europeans if they have managed it well.

Now, the problem for British swimmers was a deep one. They tapered for trials in April, then again for Worlds in June, then the gap between worlds & CWG was a touch too long to hold, so they had to go back into hard work then taper down *again. That's three tapers already. They'll now be holding their CWG taper, but holding a taper off so little work between worlds & CWG = an almighty task. It works for the Americans because they (the pros, not college) are in heavy work all winter & spring, then do a taper for trials and hold it with all the hard work in the bank.

In short: Our athletes may be tired, but there will be no excuse for them to be in the place our swimmers are. None at all.
    Last edited by Christy93; 12-08-22, 11:55.

Leave a comment:

• Chafford1
    commented on 's reply
    Might just help DAS though in the sprints given she missed the CGs, assuming her injury at the WCs has fully healed.

• marilyn1
    replied
    Cant help reflecting when I am watching our knackered swimmers this morning that they had worlds and last weeks CG and now EC, that we remember that our athletes have also had a hard month as well. Expectations should be tempered.

Leave a comment:

• MysteryBrick
    commented on 's reply
    Chalmers senior is just in awful shape, so was likely dropped.

• SprintRelayFan
    replied
    Neither of the chalmers and neither said anything about it. Odd

Leave a comment:

• marra
    replied
    Any way, back on topic, here's the updates to the GB team - https://www.britishathletics.org.uk/...championships/

Some we had figured out. A couple we hadn't including Gemili out. Sensible decision.

Leave a comment:

• marra
    replied
    Sovietvest - I think of the U-S-A chants as being the equivalent of the In-Ger-Land chants at football (Americans are not good at sports chants generally). Coupled with most of them genuinely loving their country and wanting to show pride in it. Parochial for sure but, when done at a sporting event, not intended to cause those feelings that you experienced.

It's a lot more disconcerting when it is done at non-sporting events, for obvious reasons. That for me is when it gets those fascistic tones, if that makes sense?

Leave a comment:

• Sovietvest
    commented on 's reply
    I'm heartily sick of Johnson constantly trumpeting world-leading approaches to this, that and the other as we become an increasingly second rate country. BUT when it comes to organising and appreciating big sporting events we are hands-down the best in the world.

• Sovietvest
    commented on 's reply
    I generally avoid the Letsrun MB, Marilyn but think Jon Gault is the best athletics journalist around.

The chants of "You Ess Ayy, You Ess Ayy!!!" in Atlanta and Eugene were a little disconcerting. Weirdly threatening and dare I say it almost fascist in tone?!?!?

Generally the crowd in Eugene however were track fans and showed (quiet) appreciation of non-US athletes. Not like Atlanta, where any race won by a non-US athlete ended in almost total silence. In Birmingham the crowd cheered anything that moved. I loved hearing little kids pick out random countries to cheer before each race.

• marilyn1
    replied
    Great posts Soviet.
    Do you read or send on Letsrun. I read it every day to prove I must be a masochist!!
    A propos your comments about the americans, I have only had long chats with USA fans in Munich72, Stuttgart 93, and Tokyo 91.
    .I think they are majestically ignorant that there are other athletes around, apart from their own.Sad.
    Last edited by marilyn1; 10-08-22, 17:00.

Leave a comment:

• Sovietvest
    replied
    Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post

Ha, with predictions like that I think we'd all appreciate having a back marker in the Euros Prediction Contest.
    In a freak occurrence, proving that every dog has his day, I won the Letsrun US World Champs Trials prediction contest in June. Won a pair of the On carbon plated super shoes! That will never happen again, so I was planning to retire from prediction contests.. .. .but now you've tempted me! Expect an entry.

I still listen to House of Run occasionally. Nice guys but they really irritated me with their 'takes' on the Sh'carri Richardson situation last year and the DSD athletes. Also, their slightly patronising attitudes to other nations from two guys who've barely left the US is irritating as well. Maybe I'm just easily irritated .. .. . .

Leave a comment:

• SprintRelayFan
    commented on 's reply
    Ah thanks!
Working...
X