Jake Wightman - World 1500m Champion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jake Wightman - World 1500m Champion.

He deserves his own thread. What a wonderful performance.

What a run. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving, more humble guy.

Comment

Absolutely. Never happen in history ...dad on the stadium Mike. Great victory and perfect the way he went to the front at the right time. That's track...Norway supreme last year and beaten this year.

Comment

From BBC article: "Wightman's father, Geoff, is the stadium announcer in Eugene and was able to call his son's victory before racing down to hug him.

That's my son and he's world champion," Geoff told the Hayward Field crowd."

Comment

I literally cried as I just watched that.

Superb.

Comment

Awesome, overdue success!

Comment

I want to add my sincere congratulations for a wonderful victory - a superb run Jake.

He really took that race on in the final lap, gave it his all, and how many times have we seen such a bold move not work.

I am yet to find a clip of his father announcing the win, but that surely must elevate the whole experience to a completely new level that no family has ever/will ever bear witness to again.

Amazing, too, to think that the last time GB won a world 1500 gold was in '83 - and the man who did was commentating. I was an active school athlete back then [borough sprint champion circa '80], and lived through that 'legendary' middle distance period - worth noting that the time Jake ran to win this race is faster than Cram, Coe and Ovett. It was so refreshing to have a 'true run' race.

Jake may also have single-handedly saved the blushes of Team GB as a further medal was starting to look less and less likely, let alone a gold, and it certainly will buoy the likes of Burgin and the Hodge.

On so many levels, it will become one of the great British athletic moments of my life time.

Well, thank the track god's I was able wake-up on time to witness this in the early hours.

The stars aligned ... thoroughly deserved, entirely unexpected and an inspiration to others.

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
                SprintRelayFan commented
                Editing a comment
                Check Kath Merry's twitter feed, she's got a lovely video with him and his mum

What a sport...a few weeks ago you will recall Inge won the mile and followed by Hoare who did not make the final and Jake couldn't hold the pace from the end of the back straight. What a difference.!!!

Comment

• MR_ME
                MR_ME commented
                Editing a comment
                I think I remember at the start of the mile race in Oslo, Crammy mentioning an injury niggle for Jake. It might have just stopped him going all out that day.

Pretty hard to add anything to carterhatch's post ! But yes that was just wonderful to watch...a truly magnificent performance to beat an acknowledged champion in such a clear and unambiguous fashion. As I said earlier , I had given him more chance than many on here but to see it actually happen : just magical 👏👏👏

He will be keen to do the same for Scotland in a week or two no doubt !

Comment

Trying again because I have an "unapproved" post (???)

Endorse everything carterhatch said. I honestly did give Jake a decent chance of placing or even taking the gold , based on his runs in the rounds ; but to see it actually happen was simply magical. A truly magnificent performance against an acknowledged maestro of the event . Hard to top as a highlight of the meet...

Comment

Now I have two "unapproved ! I give up...

Comment

What to say, a fantastic career defining performance. He has looked great all season and seemed determined to get a medal here. Two weeks until he goes again in the Commonwealths and then if he makes it to Europeans a rematch with Inge is on the cards. This could be an epic campaign.

Great to see him acknowledge Chris O'Hare as a big inspiration.

Comment

Originally posted by carterhatch View Post
                      I want to add my sincere congratulations for a wonderful victory - a superb run Jake.

He really took that race on in the final lap, gave it his all, and how many times have we seen such a bold move not work.

I am yet to find a clip of his father announcing the win, but that surely must elevate the whole experience to a completely new level that no family has ever/will ever bear witness to again.
                      I think Katherine Merry did the comms on that one! Steve Cram said so.

Comment

• MR_ME
                        MR_ME commented
                        Editing a comment
                        There is a clip of his Dad reacting on Katherine Merry's twitter.

Anyone else find it odd that British Athletics booked him a flight before the medal ceremony, I understand why they might be surprised at the win but he was definitely in contention for a medal here and British Athletics should know that.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
                        MysteryBrick commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'd assume this was not knowing when the ceremony would be, or something similar, rather than any malice.

• MR_ME
                        MR_ME commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes probably, also there is a race against time to get ready for the Commonwealths in two weeks time.

• Ladyloz
                        Ladyloz commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah I imagine people who are competing at Birmingham are flying back soon after they have finished competing here.

This was one of those races where I am pretty sure that my better half and I bellowing (at the screen; at a recording!) contributed to Jake holding off Inge.
                      Time and space are elastic. Its all about the soul.

Comment

Working...
                      X