No announcement yet.

Commonwealth Games 2022 Team Announcements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonders if this is why the Jamaicans wanted a bigger team than they were allowed, because they knew or suspected they would get a lot of dropouts.

Comment

Presumably, they could have just listed a load of reserves, though?

Comment

Briana Williams on her way to Birmingham according to Radio Jamaica News.
        Last edited by Chafford1; 31-07-22, 18:32.

Comment

Laviai out, Hannah Williams in. Chris Mac also out - no mention of a replacement

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
            SprintRelayFan commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh that’s a shame, she ran so well in the worlds

• jjimbojames
            jjimbojames commented
            Editing a comment
            Indeed. Not sure why, so may well be fine for the Euros

Originally posted by Ladyloz View Post

I think you need to spread it out a bit more than Canada. Africa; Caribbean and Asian countries need to be hosting it. But I also wonder about the future of the Commonwealth as an institution itself. It doesn't really feel like it fits in the 21st century and if the institution itself declines then can't see how the Games don't follow suit.
          Oh yeah, the fact it's never been in africa and only been in Caribbean or asia three times (same as scotland) is disappointing. A Caribbean games where Jamaica hosted athletics and cricket was hosted in other islands would be excellent.

I wouldn't be surprised if 2030 was the last edition. Which would be a real shame, but things come and go.

Comment

I think athletes being named them withdrawing hasn't helped, if they weren't named in the first place it would look better.

For next time I'd like to see more spots reserved back to ensure events remain competitive and have big numbers, unique circumstances but England only having one male and one female marathon runner at a home games was disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by Chafford1 View Post
              Briana Williams on her way to Birmingham according to Radio Jamaica News.
              Cancel that! She won't arrive in time. Shambolic administration by the Jamaicans.

Jamaica will now be represented in the 100m by Elaine Thomson-Herah, Natalliah whyte and Remona Burchell.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
                Occasional Hope commented
                Editing a comment
                She may make it in time for the relay. But yes, what a shambles.

Cheptegei out as well.

I'm genuinely fuming about all of this. All caused by the thoughtlessness and avarice of World Athletics.

Comment

Coe was far more inclined to Phil Knight and USATF ass licking , and did not give a fig for the Commonwealth Games and the negative effect of the WC being held in mid July just before the Games.
                Holding the WC in early or mid August did not suit the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by marilyn1 View Post
                  Coe was far more inclined to Phil Knight and USATF ass licking , and did not give a fig for the Commonwealth Games and the negative effect of the WC being held in mid July just before the Games.
                  Holding the WC in early or mid August did not suit the USA.
                  I don't blame USATF, Knight or Nike for that though. Selfish, sure but they aren't supposed to be looking out for the good of World Athletics generally. That's Coe's job.

The WC should have been May or Sept. The CGs and ECs were in the calendar for years. Coe took Nike money above all else. And that's on him. Shameful.

Comment

• RunUnlimited
                    RunUnlimited commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have an even *better* idea.... just cancel the 2021 World Championships and go straight to the 2023 one in Budapest. This is all on Seb Coe.

• trickstat
                    trickstat commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm a little torn because you have to remember that a lot of the world will not be in either Birmingham or Munich this month but, on the other hand, if it hadn't been for Covid those countries would, by and large, have had a 'fallow' year anyway.

• MysteryBrick
                    MysteryBrick commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, given Tokyo got pushed I don't think this is quite as clear cut. To be honest, the fact that the WCs were a bit crap should be separate to their date and year, it is just a Eugene problem.
                Working...
                X