No announcement yet.

Commonwealth Games 2022 Team Announcements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to DAS: 'No major issues and nothing to worry about'. 'I'm good but need a few days off'.

Comment

Well, I have to say the athletics has somewhat fallen apart in recent days. A few bright spots but a lot of stars missing. England & Canada look particularly depleted whether by injury or choice. Tough athletics meet for the home team imo.

Comment

• carterhatch
        carterhatch commented
        Editing a comment
        well, on the bright side, at this rate Lorraine Ugen might get her quadrennial call-up for the 4x100
        Last edited by carterhatch; 27-07-22, 15:40.

• Laps
        Laps commented
        Editing a comment
        It. was always going to be as much about the ones not there as those that were. For many of the Athletics events not worth thinking about until the start lists come out.

• Occasional Hope
        Occasional Hope commented
        Editing a comment
        I was just thinking that, carterhatch

Let's be honest if the Games were being held elsewhere, I think the England team would be even more depleted.

Yes that's partly down to the close proximity of Worlds and Euros but also due to the diminishing status of the Commonwealths. In all honestly I am not sure for a variety of reasons that they will last too much longer.

Comment

• Chafford1
        Chafford1 commented
        Editing a comment
        People have been writing off the CGs since I started watching them in 1974. Victoria will hold the 2026 Games under the new more flexible format with Hamilton bidding for the centenary games in 2030. After that I wouldn't be surprised if Wales bid for 2034.

Originally posted by Ladyloz View Post
      Let's be honest if the Games were being held elsewhere, I think the England team would be even more depleted.

Yes that's partly down to the close proximity of Worlds and Euros but also due to the diminishing status of the Commonwealths. In all honestly I am not sure for a variety of reasons that they will last too much longer.
      Whilst I have general concerns about the viability going forward post 2030 (aside from basically hosting in London every time), this particular edition is being hampered specifically in athletics by the insane and frankly thoughtless decision by WA to cram the Worlds in. I see no reason why the WC had to be right in this window aside from a desire from WA to insist that it was.

The CGs and ECs have had a similar window before (Glasgow and Zurich the obvious recent example) and it worked mostly fine. But 3 champs always looked stupid.

At least swimming had the good sense to have about 6 weeks gap and even that wasn't enough for some of the Aus/English swimmers to prioritise that meet over Brum.

Comment

I think other countries were expected to bid/host the commonwealth's and it hasn't really happened as such. Nigeria, Singapore, Sri Lanka, India again.

tbh you need Canada to show interest in hosting them again,

Comment

Hamilton is pretty much nailed on for 2030, from everything I've heard. 100th anniversary of them hosting the first British Empire Games (as it was back then).

I'd also like it, as it would be the closest that the Games is likely to be to me unless I move back to the UK.

Comment

I'm all up for a Welsh games.

Comment

Originally posted by Ursus View Post

Hmmm. Wasn’t Tokyo hamstring related too? Really hoping this isn’t a pattern starting to develop.
              It is and it was. Her fragility goes back further than Tokyo.

Comment

Sorry to keep on about DAS but the Mirror really is a dumb paper to let this be published lol https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other...-2024-27592326

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
                  SprintRelayFan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lol, Munich should be ok, let alone Paris

Originally posted by PotterHoppo96 View Post
                I think other countries were expected to bid/host the commonwealth's and it hasn't really happened as such. Nigeria, Singapore, Sri Lanka, India again.

tbh you need Canada to show interest in hosting them again,
                I think you need to spread it out a bit more than Canada. Africa; Caribbean and Asian countries need to be hosting it. But I also wonder about the future of the Commonwealth as an institution itself. It doesn't really feel like it fits in the 21st century and if the institution itself declines then can't see how the Games don't follow suit.

Comment

Originally posted by Christy93 View Post
                  Well, I have to say the athletics has somewhat fallen apart in recent days. A few bright spots but a lot of stars missing. England & Canada look particularly depleted whether by injury or choice. Tough athletics meet for the home team imo.
                  By choice to be truthful. It was always crazy to have the CG a week after the WC and many athletes have their eyes on the DL with points for the finals in September. I certainly lay dont blame them.Track and field wise the level of competition is mostly indifferent .

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
                    SprintRelayFan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, I think for Brit athletes even a CG medal would be 3rd best of the majors available this year. It's a shame the world champs couldn't have been end of the season...

Ashleigh Nelson in for Dina.

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
                    SprintRelayFan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    She seemed to run well in eugene

Wish I could get a bit more enthused about this. Still, at least the Alexander has 2 javelin runways.

Not that I doubt either will even see a men’s stadium record - Peters or Walcott will have to go some to beat Yego’s 91.39. And they’d have to go 4th on the all time list to set an all comer’s record - if such things still exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Ursus View Post
                    Wish I could get a bit more enthused about this. Still, at least the Alexander has 2 javelin runways.

Not that I doubt either will even see a men’s stadium record - Peters or Walcott will have to go some to beat Yego’s 91.39. And they’d have to go 4th on the all time list to set an all comer’s record - if such things still exist.
                    Yeah, do you remember in the 80s and 90s Coleman, Pickering, Storey & Parry always seemed to be mentioning British all-comers records. These days I hardly ever hear about them - which is as it should be because they're really pretty meaningless.

The Americans still love their "soil records" though, having them even at state level, e.g., the Ohio soil record and Tennessee soil record.

Imagine if we had things like the Norfolk all-comers record and the Cumbria all-comers record. 😂

Comment

• trickstat
                      trickstat commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think there was a time when the all-comers record would be on the on-screen caption on TV where the World Lead is now. I remember when I was at the 2001 Worlds in Edmonton they did tend to mention if the Canadian all-comers record was broken and sometimes it had lasted since the 1976 Olympics. Not that surprising as not that many international meets happen there.

As to county all-comers records, I have occasionally read of mile races where counties have attempted to get the first sub 4 on their soil.

Adelle Tracy is out due to problems around her switch to Jamaica. Did every thing in time for the worlds but not for the Commonwealths it would seem & strange it's only announced now. Will do a Diamon League instead.

Comment

Working...
                    X