No announcement yet.

Commonwealth Games 2022 Team Announcements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just some snippets of information on who isn't coming etc. that I picked up during Worlds.

Faith Kipyegon is skipping Brum. A real shame, one of my favourite athletes at the moment. As is Kirani James, understandable given his history with Graves disease.

No Shelly-Ann, she's entered for a few Diamond Leagues in August, I guess she is targeting a quick time. Shericka Jackson is going but not sure what event(s) she is doing. I will be surprised if she doubles.

Emmanuel Korir is doing 400m not 800m.

Feel free to add any more snippets. I think more info will emerge over the next few days.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladyloz View Post
      Just some snippets of information on who isn't coming etc. that I picked up during Worlds.

Faith Kipyegon is skipping Brum. A real shame, one of my favourite athletes at the moment. As is Kirani James, understandable given his history with Graves disease.

No Shelly-Ann, she's entered for a few Diamond Leagues in August, I guess she is targeting a quick time. Shericka Jackson is going but not sure what event(s) she is doing. I will be surprised if she doubles.

Emmanuel Korir is doing 400m not 800m.

Feel free to add any more snippets. I think more info will emerge over the next few days.
      SJ and ETH are currently down for the 100m and 200m.

Comment

Originally posted by Grassmarket View Post
        Here's the essential parts of Commonwealth Games schedule - all sports, not just this one - reduced to a single spreadsheet.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AjzJ2yTJoVvZg7NO...PS8aw?e=k2H9ml

If you haven't already found it, here's the Entries list.

Birmingham 2022 Results - Entries
        There's some very nice fields there and a ton of great athletes competing. I'm really looking forward to it but grateful for having some time to recover after Worlds!

Both the marathons are this coming Saturday 30th, three days before the track & field action starts.

Comment

Looking at the entry lists one thing I noticed was that it looks like all the Bahamian athletes are just shown as "entered" rather than "confirmed". The first one I noticed was Steven Gardiner and I thought that was because he was injured but there are plenty of athletes who we now know are out who are showing as confirmed. I wonder whether is a problem with the Bahamians or this is just an admin error?

Men's javelin looks tasty with double World Champ Peters, Olympic Champ Chopra, Tokyo and Eugene finalist Nadeem and former Olympic Champ Walcott hoping to bounce back from a DNQ in Oregon.
          Last edited by trickstat; 25-07-22, 20:39.

Comment

• marra
            marra commented
            Editing a comment
            Chopra has a groin strain and is out apparently.

Jamie Webb and Bianca Williams in for Max Burgin and Desiree Henry

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
            SprintRelayFan commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh no, I hadn’t realised Desiree was injured

De Grasse and most of the Canadian 4x1 team have withdrawn, as has decathlete Pierce LePage: Four Canadians including De Grasse, LePage withdraw from Commonwealth Games | CBC Sports

Comment

• oxfan
            oxfan commented
            Editing a comment
            Almost certainly no replacement for LePage as it would have to be a decathlete and it seems very late

• Occasional Hope
            Occasional Hope commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn't think it was by-event?

• oxfan
            oxfan commented
            Editing a comment
            One of the team replacement announcements last week said it had to be for the same event - but I cannot find which one. The English replacements do look like by event replacements. Given that the tiings based on number of heats has been done, I assume there cannot be extra athletes in some events
            Just found a Times of India article on an Indian athlete being rejected because CGF would not allow High jumper to replace a relay runner but the jumper is actually on the start list (try Times of Inda and Shankar) So it is definitely policy they should be in the same event but you might get away with it
            Last edited by oxfan; 26-07-22, 22:59.

Originally posted by MysteryBrick View Post
          Jamie Webb and Bianca Williams in for Max Burgin and Desiree Henry
          I like and respect Jamie Webb, a fine athlete at his best, but it really speaks volumes as to how injury prone a lot of our 800m men are that he got the nod after his season. A case of very bad luck, or something fundamentally wrong? Inclined to think the former as the ladies seem healthy enough most of the time, but it hasn't gone unnoticed that our 800 men always seem to have issues. Ben Pattison must really be licking his lips - Huge opportunity opening up.

Comment

There's 2 potential canadian golds gone

Comment

Unless someone else does come in the decathlon for Lepage that only leaves eight entrants. And of those eight, Moloney DNF in Eugene due to knee issues, so I'm not too optimistic about him making it.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
                Occasional Hope commented
                Editing a comment
                On the plus side I suppose they don't need to bother with separate heats or pools of anything

• alfie
                alfie commented
                Editing a comment
                Reports here are that Moloney is most unlikely to make the start line. Could be a very thin field !

Frustrating for the CGs which already lack some star power these days but inevitable given the proximity of the World Champs when they added the latter into an already packed summer. Should never have been so close.

Comment

Finally found the official late replacement policy https://thecgf.com/sites/default/fil...eplacement.pdf -should be same discipline(s)

Comment

Shame Warner's injured, he would have made a nice replacement

Comment

• Ladyloz
                    Ladyloz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Warner wasn't named in the original Canada Squad. Think he always knew it was a tough ask to do 2 Decathlons back to back in 2 different time zones.

Should allow the host nation to fill up any events where possible. We're paying a billion quid to host these after all!

Comment

Dina Out - https://www.englandathletics.org/ath...hrough-injury/

Comment

• RunUnlimited
                      RunUnlimited commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ok, a slight hamstring strain, not a tear. A real shame for sure, but she'll be ready for the EC in Munich in August

• MR_ME
                      MR_ME commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It was always a tall order to attend 3 championships in close succession. Anyone who manages to perform well at 2 should be applauded. To be honest I was surprised that she was included in the World's relay squad. It was a race too far with the Commonwealths so close.

• Hammerklavier
                      Hammerklavier commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Not unexpected, and let's hope it really is as minor as Dina says.
                      However, in view of the way her injury was kept secret before the Olympics last year, I won't hold my breath that she will be fit and ready for the Europeans until I actually see it.

Originally posted by Stew-Coach View Post
                    Hmmm. Wasn’t Tokyo hamstring related too? Really hoping this isn’t a pattern starting to develop.

Comment

• Ursus
                      Ursus commented
                      Editing a comment
                      True, although many noted that she didn’t really push on in those early season races. General assumption was that she was in heavy training but maybe there was an element of hamstring protection? Guess we’ll never know unless she tells us.

• SprintRelayFan
                      SprintRelayFan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      And the euros in 2014? Although perhaps that's too long to talk about a pattern. I was sad to see Desiree out

• MR_ME
                      MR_ME commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If there was any concern about her hamstring then I doubt she would have doubled at the worlds and commited to a relay leg, just before another 2 major champs.
                  Working...
                  X