No announcement yet.

UK Athletics Championships, Manchester 2022 Day 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAS looked formidable before her hamstring injury last year. The latter part of her race has been flat this year, I hope she sorts it out by Eugene.

Comment

• Unfortunately, for any of the 200m and women's 100m hurdlers looking for qualifying times for various championships tomorrow, the weather forecast is for more of the same temperature wise, which wasn't too bad in the end.. but with an even stronger south westerly, following wind, according to the Met Office.

Comment

• Well done Azu and Neita. Shame about the wind, but fast times regardless and great scalps.

Comment

• If they are technically sticking to the policy, Azu has a tough time getting selection for anything other than the relay, assuming he doesn't break into the top 32 on the world ranking.

There is a clause that says the following:

"1.22 ThePanel may choose to select an athlete in an individual event to improve chances of success in the relevant relay team."

But that's in the section referring to athletes who have the qualification standard, so not clear whether they can expand that to include those with the ranking qualification.

Honestly, World Athletics needs to start working out a way of adjusting for wind in times. It's kind of absurd that someone who runs a 10:05 with a +2m/s wind is qualified but someone who runs a 9:90 with a +2.5 isn't.

Entirely unsurprised that Neita beat Dasher. She's looked better than her in recent weeks. On current form, you wouldn't back Dasher to medal in Eugene, although there's time for that to change.

Comment

• I think people are being a little harsh on both women here - Neita is an OG finalist with sub-11 clockings to her name. No shame in DAS losing to her, given some of the women Neita has beaten recently. Potentially both could be in the final, even if DAS is the one with pedigree/peaking background that suggests she’s most likely to medal of the two.

ETH just finished third in the JAM Trials behind someone who is unlikely to final in Eugene - doesn’t mean she’s suddenly out of contention!

Comment

• A brilliant day of athletics. Despite the weather. So many great stories.
            Daryll has indeed come of age. Seeing the tears roll down Azu's face almost got me going. Same for queen Victoria.
            Hudson-Smith looked completely awesome. The Ugen-ometer is starting to click very encouragingly. Muir has now trained to cover every possible Kipyegon tactic, and looks super strong.
            And there is still the prospect of an almighty Reekie--Boffey punchup tomorrow.

Comment

• I can only see Baker giving Reekie much of a challenge tomorrow!

The men’s 800m should be much more exciting. I think Burgin will go gun to tape and everyone will be racing for 2nd place. Hoping Kyle Langford sneaks it but I think Giles might just get the better of all the rest

Comment

• Occasional Hope
                Occasional Hope commented
                Editing a comment
                I really wish Keely had run the 800 rather than coming in last in the 400 final.

• paul
                paul commented
                Editing a comment
                Either I am going crazy or Auntie came in 5th in a PB!! Right in the mix with the relay faithful, where she wants to be. A PB from a tough lane in very tough conditions seems pretty encouraging. ...But maybe I need to watch it again in the universe where she came last... ;-)

• Yeah I think you are talking about the race, Runner88. But I think paul was possibly being more literal. :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by marra View Post
                If they are technically sticking to the policy, Azu has a tough time getting selection for anything other than the relay, assuming he doesn't break into the top 32 on the world ranking.

"1.22 ThePanel may choose to select an athlete in an individual event to improve chances of success in the relevant relay team."

But that's in the section referring to athletes who have the qualification standard, so not clear whether they can expand that to include those with the ranking qualification.

Honestly, World Athletics needs to start working out a way of adjusting for wind in times. It's kind of absurd that someone who runs a 10:05 with a +2m/s wind is qualified but someone who runs a 9:90 with a +2.5 isn't.

Entirely unsurprised that Neita beat Dasher. She's looked better than her in recent weeks. On current form, you wouldn't back Dasher to medal in Eugene, although there's time for that to change.
                I would not expect DAS to medal in Eugene
                The opposition is far too tough. Darryl may well be a finalist again though

Comment

• I think DAS will also struggle to medal, but also her losing to Daryll Neita is absolutely not a disaster and does Neita a huge disservice.

Firstly, Neita made the Olympic final last year, has run 10.99 legal this year (and her form has been improving throughout the year) and was only 0.03 off DAS in Birmingham. She is a very good 100m runner.

Secondly, DAS is clearly focused on the 200m and thus her starts have not been as electric as normal - she finished like a train in the final today, and has run 22.27 this year, which is on par with her 2018 form before the European Championships. I expect a fit DAS to make the final in Eugene and run a sub-22, but that will likely put her about 5th.

Comment

• DN's and DAS's times today, given the 3.8 m/s wind were in line with their legal 10.99 and 10.97 times this season. So not competitive for Eugene or Birmingham, assuming the latter attract the top Jamaicans. However both should medal in Munich.

Comment

• Sprintfan
                      Sprintfan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Such a blanket statement 'so not competitive' in Eugene. They're both very competitive!

• Originally posted by marra View Post
                    If they are technically sticking to the policy, Azu has a tough time getting selection for anything other than the relay, assuming he doesn't break into the top 32 on the world ranking.

That would be unduly harsh on Azu, he couldn’t control the wind today, he could only control his performance and beat two sub 10 men who both have the qualifying mark and will be selected. Agree with your point that WA should come up with a formula to allow windy times to be adjusted and count as qualifying marks

His big race temperament was good today, Prescod usually takes the British champs seriously so beating him speaks volumes.

Ojora may fall victim to the vagaries of the qualifying system again

Comment

• Never mind the vagaries of the qualifying system. wait for the vagaries of the selections of our selectors. All due to that document and catch all clauses.

Comment

• As for Azu. Every athlete has once in a career an outlier performance..you saw Azu's yesterday. Have a look at his 5 qualifying stats from the ranking lists.

Comment

• If you look at the mens 100m race and adjust for say a 1.9 tail wind you get just under 10 secs .Nothing special.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
                            Occasional Hope commented
                            Editing a comment
                            You're certainly burning Azu,aren't you? BOTH 'an outlier' AND 'nothing special'.

• MysteryBrick
                            MysteryBrick commented
                            Editing a comment
                            So British 21 year old, clearly still improving, runs a slightly windy 9.90 beating two other sub-10 runners and running something you acknowledge would make him the 11th Briton under 10, and it's nothing special. Good to know.
                        Working...
                        X