Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Athletics Championships, Manchester 2022 Day 2

Dear Forum

I do hope we witness some strong performances today ... and that this link works.

http://manchesterukac2022-2.microplu...NUeXBlPWJ5RGF5

Assuming the multis throws take place in the main stadium I’m annoyed.

The dec JT is scheduled for a peak time at 15.53. This will not be a highlight of the weekend.

Working round the multis timing relegates the wJT to the just having got out of bed slot at 12.20 alongside some multi disciplines but an hour before any other proper individual events. Performances are seldom good in early starts and much of whatever crowd there will be won’t have arrived.

If I was Bekah Walton I’d be thinking about relocating to Germany or Finland.

And the website is awful.

Comment

• paul
      paul commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed. Hopefully Bekah will rise above it all.

• paul
      paul commented
      Editing a comment
      At least she'll have two world champions in her event, in KJT and Hollie A.

I can't tell from the weird website whether it is today or not! But
    Daryll v Dasher
    feels like it could be a pretty big moment in our athletics history.
    (I don't mean that if Dasher loses it is a changing of the guard - her targets and peak will come a bit later - but it would confirm the arrival of Daryll as a world force.)

Comment

Is it good or bad that Auntie K (the least experienced 400 runner) has lane 8 in the final?
      Presumably she'll start slow and finish quick. But the stagger is big. If Nicole comes past her early can she really then hang on all the (long way) round?

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
        Daryll v Dasher
        (I don't mean that if Dasher loses it is a changing of the guard - her targets and peak will come a bit later - but it would confirm the arrival of Daryll as a world force.)
        Neita's first 30m isn't good enough, so I don't think she'll beat DAS if the latter is in form. SF at 16.30 and F at 18.50.

Comment

Slightly off topic, but the Adelle Tracey MIA mystery is solved. Scrolling through the Jamaican trials results and she appears to have won the 1500 out in Kingston. Good luck to her representing Jamaica.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
            Occasional Hope commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, that's a shocker. Not sure if she's actually applied for change of allegiance, but it's over three years since she officially represented the UK internationally (Euro indoors 2019) so I guess she's good to go?

Originally posted by Christy93 View Post
          Slightly off topic, but the Adelle Tracey MIA mystery is solved. Scrolling through the Jamaican trials results and she appears to have won the 1500 out in Kingston. Good luck to her representing Jamaica.
          4.17 for Tracy.!

Comment

• MysteryBrick
            MysteryBrick commented
            Editing a comment
            Time doesn't matter if you win (according to Matt Centrowitz, anyway).

Wind direction the same as yesterday, but stronger, so it looks like we'll have some fairly robust over the limit tailwinds for the sprinters.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
            Editing a comment
            Frustrating for anyone hoping for a legal time.

• Ladyloz
            Ladyloz commented
            Editing a comment
            As is often the case you don't want to have to rely on the UK weather for a qualifying time - very few if any will be achieved this weekend.

Jodie Smith in the lead after the first event of the heptathlon with 13.57 (1040 points). PB for Eloise Hind in second.

Jack Turner pb in the men's hurdles to go into the overall lead of the dec. Elliot Thompson was reinstated in the 400 yesterday which he was originally dq'd in, and is in 2nd overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
            Jodie Smith in the lead after the first event of the heptathlon with 13.57 (1040 points). PB for Eloise Hind in second.

Jack Turner pb in the men's hurdles to go into the overall lead of the dec. Elliot Thompson was reinstated in the 400 yesterday which he was originally dq'd in, and is in 2nd overall.
            Can't be a PB for Hind unfortunately, due to the +3.2m/s wind that was propelling her and the rest along in that race. Still, running 14.18 over the hurdles as a 17 year multi eventer, regardless of the wind conditions, is a good time for one so young. It will be good to see how she does at the World U20's in August.

Great to see Jodie Smith back in action too after pulling out of the Combined Events Championships last month, when she looked poised to improve her hep PB and gaining a qualifying spot for the English CWG team.

Comment

• RunUnlimited
              RunUnlimited commented
              Editing a comment
              Also will be interesting to see Ella Rush competing. She won the Senior UK Pentathlon title in February, including jumping 6.34 in the long jump, and then going on to set her heptathlon PB of 5491 over in the USA. That's the WU20 Q standard, but she wasn't able to compete in the Combined Events Champs in May and thus missed her chance to represent GB in Cali. So perhaps her appearance her is to show folks what she is capable of.

• RunUnlimited
              RunUnlimited commented
              Editing a comment
              @caterhatch I would have made more comments yesterday but I was out a good chunk of yesterday with my Mum, doing the grocery shopping, so missed a lot of the first day action. I took the evening to watch the coverage again on iPlayer, as well as catching the latter half of the live coverage, so now, having absorbed the performances with my own eyeballs, I can make a few comments on the action.

• Ladyloz
              Ladyloz commented
              Editing a comment
              Abigail Pawlett having won in Bedford has guaranteed her selection for World Juniors but 2nd spot up for grabs so I am sure Rush and Hind's performances this weekend will go a long way to deciding the 2nd spot.

Originally posted by paul View Post
            Daryll v Dasher
            Schedule of events and how to watch at the attached link for the 'Independent'. If the site asks you to register, you can say you'll do it later (unless you wish to register!)

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-b2109242.html

Comment

I'm looking forward to the men's 800m heats. Winner plus 4 time qualifiers is brutal, considering the names in each heat. All the named athletes below have sub-1:47 PBs, so at least 2 are missing out:

Heat 1: Max Burgin, Thomas Staines, Alex Botterill
              Heat 2: Ben Pattison, Elliot Giles
              Heat 3: Kyle Langford, Guy Learmonth
              Heat 4: Dan Rowden, Jamie Webb, Reece Sharman-Newell

Heat 1 must be super happy to be able to follow the Burgin train, but it will be interesting to see if anyone else tries to make their heat fast. My bets are that at least one of Giles, Webb and Learmonth misses the final.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
                Editing a comment
                Or Rowden? He hasn't looked in the best form this year.

• MysteryBrick
                MysteryBrick commented
                Editing a comment
                If Rowden were in heat with Langford or Pattison I'd say yes, but Sharman-Newell hasn't backed up his 1:45 and Webb hasn't been amazing either so I'm backing Rowden's class to show (although that said, he did DNF his last race).

Jodie Smith ended up with a season's best of 1.77m in the high jump, and had a couple of decent attempts at 1.80m too, so she further increase her overall points lead in the heptathlon.
              Last edited by RunUnlimited; 25-06-22, 12:23.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
                Editing a comment
                Oh I missed that she was trying a further height. Good performance.

Jodie Smith cements her lead with a winning 1.77 in the HJ. Ella Rush and u20 rival Eloise Hind both a bit below their best with 1.65. Hind in 3rd overall and Rush 4th.

Comment

And Jack Turner does the same by winning the discus.

Comment

Working...
                X