England Commonwealth Games Selection Birmingham 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• England Commonwealth Games Selection Birmingham 2022

Thought I'd set up a separate thread for this.

Looking at the selection document the Team was due to be sent to Commonwealth Games England today for final ratification following appeals.

And another minor thing I picked up from perusing the document again; the quota has increased in size from 70 by a whopping amount to a grand total of 71!!

https://www.englandathletics.org/ath...or-birmingham/

The team has been announced

Women

100m: Dina Asher-Smith (John Blackie, Blackheath & Bromley), Imani-Lara Lansiquot (Stu McMillan, Sutton and District), Daryll Neita (Marco Airale, Cambridge Harriers)

200m: Daryll Neita (Marco Airale, Cambridge Harriers)

400m: Victoria Ohuruogu (Christine Ohuruogu, Newham and Essex Beagles), Ama Pipi (Marco Airale, Enfield and Haringey), Jodie Williams (Stu McMillan, Herts Phoenix)

800m: Alex Bell (Andrew Henderson, Pudsey and Bramley), Keely Hodgkinson (Trevor Painter, Leigh)

1500m: Katie Snowden (Herne Hill Harriers)

5000m: Jess Judd (Mick Judd, Blackburn Harriers), Amy-Eloise Markovc (Chris Fox, Wakefield Harriers), Calli Thackery (Nick Bideau, Rotherham)

10,000m: Samantha Harrison (Vince Wilson, Charnwood), Jess Judd (Mick Judd, Blackburn Harriers), Amy-Eloise Markovc (Chris Fox, Wakefield Harriers)

Marathon: Georgina Schwiening (Cambridge Runners)

3000m steeplechase: Lizzie Bird (Pat McCurry, Shaftesbury Barnet Harriers), Aimee Pratt (Vincente Modahl, Sale Harriers Manchester)

100m hurdles: Cindy Sember (Jeff Porter, Woodford Green with Essex Ladies)

400m hurdles: Jessie Knight (Marina Armstrong, Windsor Slough Eton and Hounslow), Lina Nielsen (Shaftesbury Barnet Harriers)

High Jump: Emily Borthwick (Robbie Grabarz, Wigan & District), Morgan Lake (Robbie Grabarz, Windsor Slough Eton and Hounslow), Laura Zialor (Julian Reid/Jade Surman, Marshall Milton Keynes)

Long jump: Jazmin Sawyers (Lance Brauman, City of Stoke), Lorraine Ugen (Dwight Phillips, Thames Valley Harriers)

Triple jump: Naomi Metzger (Aston Moore, Trafford)

Pole vault: Holly Bradshaw (Scott Simpson, Blackburn Harriers) Molly Caudery (Scott Simpson, Thames Valley Harriers), Sophie Cook (Scott Simpson, Halesowen)

Shot put: Sophie McKinna (Paul Wilson, Great Yarmouth), Divine Oladipo (Ashley Kovacs, Blackheath and Bromley), Amelia Strickler (Zane Duquemin, Thames Valley Harriers)

Discus: Jade Lally (Zane Duquemin, Shaftesbury Barnet Harriers), Divine Oladipo (Ashley Kovacs, Blackheath and Bromley)

Hammer: Anna Purchase (Mohamad Saatara, Nottingham AC)

Heptathlon: Katarina Johnson-Thompson (Aston Moore, Liverpool Harriers), Holly Mills (Laura Turner-Alleyne, Andover) Jade O’Dowda (John Lane, Newham and Essex Beagles)

4x100m: Dina Asher-Smith (John Blackie, Blackheath and Bromley), Desiree Henry (Mike McFarlane, Enfield and Haringey), Imani-Lara Lansiquot (Stu McMillan, Sutton and District), Daryll Neita (Marco Airale, Cambridge Harriers), Asha Philip (Amy Deem, Newham and Essex Beagles)

4x400m: Jessie Knight (Marina Armstrong, Windsor Slough Eton and Hounslow), Laviai Nielsen (Philipp Unfried, Enfield and Haringey), Lina Nielsen (Shaftesbury Barnet Harriers), Victoria Ohuruogu (Christine Ohuruogu, Newham and Essex Beagles), Ama Pipi (Marco Airale, Enfield and Haringey), Jodie Williams (Stu McMillan, Herts Phoenix)
    Men

100m: Nethaneel Mitchell-Blake (Ryan Freckleton, Newham and Essex Beagles), Reece Prescod (Marvin Rowe, Enfield and Haringey)

200m: Adam Gemili (Blackheath and Bromley), Zharnel Hughes (Glen Mills, Shaftesbury Barnet Harriers)

400m: Matthew Hudson-Smith (Gary Evans, Birchfield Harriers)

800m: Max Burgin (Ian Burgin, Halifax Harriers), Ben Pattison (Dave Regan, Basingstoke and Mid Hants)

1500m: Elliot Giles (Jon Bigg, Birchfield Harriers), Matt Stonier (Chris and Sonia McGeorge, Invicta East Kent)

5000m: Sam Atkin (Mike Collins, Lincoln Wellington), Patrick Dever (Alistair Cragg, Preston), Marc Scott (Jerry Schumacher, Richmond and Zetland)

10,000m: Sam Atkin (Mike Collins, Lincoln Wellington), Patrick Dever (Alistair Cragg, Preston), Marc Scott (Jerry Schumacher, Richmond and Zetland)

Marathon: Jonny Mellor (Helen Clitheroe, Liverpool Harriers)

10km race walk: Tom Bosworth (Andy Drake, Tonbridge), Callum Wilkinson (Robert Heffernan, Enfield and Haringey)

3000m steeplechase: Zak Seddon (Jeff Seddon, Bracknell AC)

110m hurdles: Tade Ojora (Joanne Hayes, Windsor Slough Eton and Hounslow), Andrew Pozzi (Stratford-upon-Avon), Joshua Zeller (Steve Rajewsky, Bracknell AC)

400m hurdles: Chris McAlister (Marina Armstrong, Thames Valley Harriers)

High Jump: Joel Clarke-Khan (Robbie Grabarz, Worcester)

Triple jump: Ben Williams (Aston Moore, City of Stoke)

Pole vault: Harry Coppell (Scott Simpson, Wigan and District), Adam Hague (Trevor Fox, Sheffield and Dearne), Owen Heard (Kate Rooney, Harrow)

Shot put: Scott Lincoln (Paul Wilson, City of York)

Discus: Lawrence Okoye (John Hillier, Croydon)

Hammer: Joseph Ellis (Jerry Clayton/Colin Boevers, Blackheath and Bromley), Nick Miller (Tore Gustafsson, Border Harriers), Craig Murch (Lorraine Shaw, Birchfield Harriers)

Decathlon: Harry Kendall (David Hull, Tonbridge)

4x100m: Harry Aikines-Aryeetey (Benke Blomkvist, Sutton and District), Jona Efoloko (Clarence Callender, Sale Harriers Manchester), Adam Gemili (Blackheath and Bromley), Zharnel Hughes (Glen Mills, Shaftesbury Barnet Harriers), Nethaneel Mitchell-Blake (Ryan Freckleton, Newham and Essex Beagles), Reece Prescod (Marvin Rowe, Enfield and Haringey)

​​​​​​

Comment

No men’s 4x400m

Comment

• MysteryBrick
        MysteryBrick commented
        Editing a comment
        Slightly bonkers call, but I guess having only one individual 400m runner and our only 400m hurdler not being a Jack Green/Kriss Akabusi (i.e. relay monster) made it sadly likely.

• trickstat
        trickstat commented
        Editing a comment
        Also of course, the likes of Joseph Briar and Callum Chalmers aren't English

• Occasional Hope
        Occasional Hope commented
        Editing a comment
        After the embarrassment of WICs I can't say I entirely blame them. It is a shame though.

Daryll Neita 200m???

Comment

• MysteryBrick
        MysteryBrick commented
        Editing a comment
        22.81 this season for 2nd on the GB rankings.

Pleased for Matt Stonier. Langford's 800m PB clearly came too late and he won't get to defend his medal from 2018.

Comment

i still think it a little premature to name the squad ahead of this weekend... I can imagine one or two getting the necessary QT's , AHW in the 400? A.N.Other in the 800 [Rowden] unless such individuals have resigned themselves to Euros after chats with selectors. .. I am surprised Zarnel Hughes would not take the opportunity to fly the flag for Anguilla and albiet a large squad, there does seem a lack of youngsters ...

Comment

Originally posted by carterhatch View Post
          i still think it a little premature to name the squad ahead of this weekend... I can imagine one or two getting the necessary QT's , AHW in the 400? A.N.Other in the 800 [Rowden] unless such individuals have resigned themselves to Euros after chats with selectors. .. I am surprised Zarnel Hughes would not take the opportunity to fly the flag for Anguilla and albiet a large squad, there does seem a lack of youngsters ...
          I think AHW/Rowden already has the standards but must be going for other events. Don't know the exact figure but wouldn't be surprised if there's more people with the standard who have missed out on a place than those that are going.

I can see events like the women's hammer having 3 Brits at the Europeans, 7 women got the CWG standard yet only one is going.

Comment

• carterhatch
            carterhatch commented
            Editing a comment
            I perhaps should have cross-referenced the CG QTs, with individuals' results within period, [and perhaps the home nation they represent] but why would you not take AHW/Rowden to a home Commonwealth Games. I realise I am not privy to discussions between athlete & selectors that would probably explain it all...

• RunUnlimited
            RunUnlimited commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm rather amazed that with so many to pick from for the women's hammer, that only one managed to get on the England team. I mean, sure, aim higher for the Euros I guess, but the standard for that one is a distance that none of the women have attained ever, and there is a possibility that they won't reach the 71.80m needed before the closing date.

Also, surely you could have taken a youngster like Charlotte Payne, still just 20, to her first major senior athletics championships. As recently as June 11th, she threw 69.27m in France, and her PB of 69.58m ranks her 10th amongst Commonwealth competitors. Wouldn't she have gained valuable experience competing against not only some of the best hammer throwers in the world, but a potentially once-in-a-career opportunity to compete before a home crowd?

Seems like a weird decision to me at least.

• CAML
            CAML commented
            Editing a comment
            Charlotte Payne at the age of 20 is throwing the same distances as Sophie Hitchon was, at the same age. She came fourth at the EJ's last year, has improved 5 metres so far this year and deserves to be picked. I would have picked her over Joe Ellis, whose appearances in the UK over many years have fallen well short.

Given likes of Max Whitlock and Tom Daley aren't going it's good to see pretty.much all of our big names will be there.

Comment

Quotas; Quotas; Quotas. Therein lies the answer to much of the speculation so far. I did say there would be quite a few disappointed athletes and this has come to pass.

I think I have had a rant before on other thread(s) about the quotas but let's hope going forward that with athletics being 1 of only 2 guaranteed sports that the overall numbers are back to 2014 levels at least. (although that's if Commonwealth Games end up surviving in the medium/long term)

And for everyone you think should be there, you have to boot someone off the team. That's the way it works. Looking at the list there are at least 20 people who can be considered unfortunate not to be going.

Comment

• PotterHoppo96
              PotterHoppo96 commented
              Editing a comment
              If the games were in New Zealand or Singapore it probably wouldn't be as tough as some bigger names would give it a miss. Most of this squad is world champs standard.

• RunUnlimited
              RunUnlimited commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, quotas put paid to a bunch of fully eligible athletes.... which is a travesty.

The Commonwealth Games aren't going anywhere for a while yet, so I think we'll see a more comprehensive line up of athletes in future editions.

And on what Potter said, this particular England squad is one of the strongest I've seen in many years, possibly the strongest one seen at a home CWG since the team selected for Manchester 2002, which included the likes of Jonathan Edwards, Paula Radcliffe, Kelly Holmes, Phillips Idowu and others.

Jodie Williams has been selected for the individual 400m and the 4x4 relay. Will she be ready in time considering she pulled out of trials this weekend? I hope so. Jodie at her best means the women could challenge behind Jamaica for a medal, if JA put out a full strength team, even without Emily Diamond.

Comment

Some tough decisions made by the selectors, but clearly the quota issue has played a part. Only 1 female hammer thrower is disappointing, no male LJs, but 3 PVs, Banigo has showed promise, this would have been a good event for him. No Bekah Walton, no Church in the mens Dec, which again is disappointing as it’s one of the events we’ve struggled in recent years

Comment

This maybe isn't particularly fair to other countries but I think as host nation England should be able to have an unlimited team (Well 3 per event who meet qualifying standards). We are spending about a billion quid putting these games on, is it really that controversial to say we should be able to have athletes in the javelin, men's long jump and a 400m men's relay

Comment

I give up. No javelin throwers.

Comment

Originally posted by PotterHoppo96 View Post
                    This maybe isn't particularly fair to other countries but I think as host nation England should be able to have an unlimited team (Well 3 per event who meet qualifying standards). We are spending about a billion quid putting these games on, is it really that controversial to say we should be able to have athletes in the javelin, men's long jump and a 400m men's relay
                    And Birmingham stepped in after Durban pulled out having initially been awarded the Games.

I wonder what discussions if any took place regarding this behind the scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ursus View Post
                      I give up. No javelin throwers.
                      Especially sad since Walton had managed to get the CWG standard with a PB earlier this year, but due to the quota system, she was excluded.

I'm all in on taking as many eligible athletes (who gain the standard multiple times, not just freak one-offs) on a championship squad as you can. Limiting team size for seemingly arbitrary reasons only harms athletics to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X