Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diamond League - Monaco - Friday 12th July

Start lists - https://monaco.diamondleague.com/en/...ats-monaco-en/

Dream head to heads in the two Triple Jump events - Ibargüen v Rojas (Thursday), Taylor v Claye (Friday). But will TV show them?
    Pole Vault and Javelin are high class and tough to call I think.
    Muir will find Ajee Wilson too quick at 800m (as any other woman would). Posters will say Laura lacked pace and grumble about her form. Sharp also in that.
    The M800m is mainly about DL points. Jake Wightman tipped to PB (philipo you're welcome).
    Think Hejnova will improve again and go close in the W400mH.
    Grice makes up the numbers in the 1500m.
    Can't chose between Miller-Uibo and Thompson in the 200m, but not Okagbare.
    Hassan is in the mile. Weightman and Courtney will fight out their local battle at a respectful distance, and Weightman will win that.
    Hopefully Lyles will see off Gatlin.

Athletics at that Monaco Stadium always a bit special.

Josh Kerr no longer entered. It seems the vast majority of US MD athletes are staying at home, presumably their be ready for the Trials in 2 weeks. That will also affect entries for the London DL.

Muir, Wightman, Weightman and Grice are all in form to get pbs? Grice is only 9th best on SBs but I think he's rounding into the form of his life. 3:32.x tomorrow (Monaco is always worth a second versus other stadiums). I wouldn't be surprised by 3:31.x I think he's close in terms of ability to people like Ryan Gregson and Andrew Wheating and they ran stupidly fast times (like many others) at Monaco.

McLaughlin to go sub 53 in the 400mH.
    Lyles will decide on whether to double in the Worlds after this meet (I guess he'd want to beat Gatlin by as much as Coleman did in Stanford and/or run low 9.8s).
    I have a hunch Filip will beat Jacob this time and run under 3:30.
    SMU to beat Thompson and break 22.
    Will be interesting to see Samba back running after his recent injury in the flat 400. Can Steven Gardiner stay injury free? If he does, I think he'd the most likely to challenge Norman later in the season.
    After a great night's athletics, they end with the 3000mSC - a bit of a damp squib (cue sub-8 by some unknown Kenyan).

Comment

Can someone go and measure the track before they run tomorrow please? I really don't like the idea of "fast" tracks for MD runners, it makes me sceptical!!

Weightman was a solid interviewee on ThatRunningPodcast with Ross Murray / Colin McCourt this week. I hadn't realised she'd knocked herself out cold at the 2015 World Champs! Could go well over a mile though if she can use that 3000m strength.

Comment

Rojas jumped 14.98 and 14.96 in Thursday's TJ, winning this one comfortably.
        Ibarguen had a stinker finishing 6th.

Comment

Originally posted by larkim View Post
          Weightman was a solid interviewee on ThatRunningPodcast with Ross Murray / Colin McCourt this week. I hadn't realised she'd knocked herself out cold at the 2015 World Champs! Could go well over a mile though if she can use that 3000m strength.
          Yes, she tripped going over the finish line and banged her head hard on the track. She still qualified for the semis but didn't feel well enough to compete.

I'm very interested to see how she'll go for the rest of the season. Is her 8:26 at 3000 a portent of being able to go 3:57-ish in the 1500 or 14:35-ish in the 5000? Shame this race is the Mile which I'm not a huge fan of these days. The "off distances" like 1000, the Mile & 2000 seem like wasted opportunities these days especially when many athletes race less often than the athletes of old. I reserve a special exception for the 3000 though, partly due to memories of those fabulous races of the late 90s & early noughties involving Szabo, O'Sullivan, Radcliffe & Ouaziz.

Comment

• Laps
            Laps commented
            Editing a comment
            I would be surprised if Laura Weightman had the speed to do much under 4.00. Her PB of 4.00.17 was set five years ago finishing 8th dragged along in a very fast DL race. Ditto her second and third best times. She has had dozens of 1500m races since that PB. I think she should be running further.
            Last edited by Laps; 12-07-19, 01:09.

• LuckySpikes
            LuckySpikes commented
            Editing a comment
            8:26 was a big step up for her though suggesting she's an improved athlete this year. It might translate to the 1500 also?

• Sovietvest
            Sovietvest commented
            Editing a comment
            The 8:26 converts to 3:58.0 and 4:16.0 for 1500 / mile and 14:30 for 5000. I think we can assume 3000 is her best distance (much as I'd love to see her achieve those times).

Originally posted by larkim View Post
          Can someone go and measure the track before they run tomorrow please? I really don't like the idea of "fast" tracks for MD runners, it makes me sceptical!!
          They used to say that about Rieti and Jack Buckner reported they almost used the wrong starting line for a 1500 in 1984 (he pondered whether that line had been used when The Great Man broke the WR the year before - sacrilege!)

Letsrun shared an interesting stat - 13 of the 15 fastest 1500 times this decade were set in Monaco. I think it's a combination of various things:
          1) Just as there are fast tracks for sprints (harder the better) and LD (a little softer), I imagine there is an optimum 'give' for MD running. Sprints times there aren't particularly fast - I can only see two marks from Monaco in the All-time top 100 for M100m - so maybe this track really is optimal for MD. I run on two newly laid (bouncy) tracks locally that I reckon are worth a second to me over 800 compared to the rock hard, dilapidated trackes we normally race on. Our sprinters hate them though because the bounce affects their rhythmugh.
          2) There's never any wind (this is far more important than the track surface) and usually temps in the low 20s.
          3) It's usually a perfect time in the season when athletes are approaching their first peak of the season before National Champs / Trials. The MD races in Zurich and Brussels are now usually after the major champs - "post-peak'
          4) Its reputation precedes it and that helps attract the best runners most years.

Can't wait for tonight. (But not as much a I'm looking forward to seeing what Cheruiyot will do in the Doha final without anyone in the field willing to run a 1:55 first 800. People are already giving him the gold medal but I'd be surprised if he wins).

Comment

sharp dragged herself to a 2 second sb and her 9th fastest time ever trying to prove a point to muir, muir with a decent pb still finished ahead
            Last edited by drobbie; 12-07-19, 19:23.

Comment

Originally posted by drobbie View Post
              sharp dragged herself to a 2 second sb and her 9th fastest time ever trying to prove a point to muir, muir with a decent pb still finished ahead
              That's the fastest time Sharp has run since 2017, and she looked good here. Rounding into form, even though there is still a long way to go until Doha.

Muir got caught out again at the start of this race, and had too much distance to cover to get to Wilson and Goule. She still did well to get a PB out of this, but with a better start, she would have been close to going sub 1:58. Still, what range Muir has got... sub 1:59 at 800m, sub 3:56 at 1500m, sub 8:30 over 3000m and sub 14:50 (indoors) over 5000m!

Comment

Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post

That's the fastest time Sharp has run since 2017, and she looked good here. Rounding into form, even though there is still a long way to go until Doha.

Muir got caught out again at the start of this race, and had too much distance to cover to get to Wilson and Goule. She still did well to get a PB out of this, but with a better start, she would have been close to going sub 1:58. Still, what range Muir has got... sub 1:59 at 800m, sub 3:56 at 1500m, sub 8:30 over 3000m and sub 14:50 (indoors) over 5000m!
                sharp should be thanking muir for that

Comment

grice 3.30.47 massive pb

Comment

grice 3.30.47 massive pb
                    Let's not forget Cheruiyot, following up a 3:28 and bits in Lausanne last week, not meant to be here in Monaco but came in as a late replacement, and he runs 3:29 high.... Impressive stuff.

Also Jakob Ingrebretsen going 3:30 again, and Musagala utterly taking apart the Ugandan national record with a 3:30.58, also just a week after setting new figures of 3:31 and bits at Lausanne!

But yeah, Grice was very impressive. He goes above Steve Ovett into 4th place on the UK all time list over 1500m. He's been running really well this year, winning races over 1500 and the mile against good opponents and placing highly in other races, so if he was going to revise his lifetime best, this seemed like the best time to do it.

And to think, the pacing was a bit all over the place in the middle laps too... Better pacing could have had it with Cheruiyot going sub 3:28!
                    Last edited by RunUnlimited; 12-07-19, 19:56.

Comment

• drobbie
                      drobbie commented
                      Editing a comment
                      you've got to remember that i am, as philipo puts it, a flag waver

• RunUnlimited
                      RunUnlimited commented
                      Editing a comment
                      you've got to remember that i am, as philipo puts it, a flag waver
                      LOL! Sorry, I forgot.

Originally posted by Sovietvest View Post
                    Josh
                    Muir, Wightman, Weightman and Grice are all in form to get pbs? Grice is only 9th best on SBs but I think he's rounding into the form of his life. 3:32.x tomorrow (Monaco is always worth a second versus other stadiums). I wouldn't be surprised by 3:31.x I think he's close in terms of ability to people like Ryan Gregson and Andrew Wheating and they ran stupidly fast times (like many others) at Monaco.
                    I thought Charlie Boy would run well, but to get the Phoenix AC club record exceeded expectations!

Comment

Originally posted by Sovietvest View Post

I thought Charlie Boy would run well, but to get the Phoenix AC club record exceeded expectations!
                      You weren't far off with your prediction of McLaughlin's time in the 400m hurdles either.

Can you do my National Lottery numbers next?

Comment

hassan WR

Comment

hassan WR
                          Wait, what?!?!

I was away cooking dinner and I come back to news that Svetlana Masterkova's mile world record, one of those "insurmountable" ones, from 1996.... has been broken????

And Laura Weightman... a 4:17.60??? What the heck?!? That time is just 0.03 seconds off Zola Budd's British record!
                          Last edited by RunUnlimited; 12-07-19, 21:14.

Comment

Working...
                          X