X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marilyn1
    replied
    Originally posted by jjimbojames View Post
    Jodie W off the start lists - hopefully she is fit for at least one champs this summer

Edit: she’s posted to say she won’t be at world champs but hopes to contend the rest of the season - injury setbacks
    How many top quality athletes ,fit and ratring to go, we will have by July 15 is going to be very interesting to see.

Leave a comment:

• jjimbojames
    replied
    Jodie W off the start lists - hopefully she is fit for at least one champs this summer

Edit: she’s posted to say she won’t be at world champs but hopes to contend the rest of the season - injury setbacks
    Last edited by jjimbojames; 19-06-22, 00:31.

Leave a comment:

• Occasional Hope
    commented on 's reply
    I think it helps when there are British athletes likely to do well. Which is why I think a good team at the Commonwealths as a home games is quite important in terms of increasing interest in the sport.

• marilyn1
    replied
    Originally posted by marilyn1 View Post

Ten years ago and the OG in our capital city and these figues of viewing that are banded around you do not have to accept accept.How can you compare our OG 2012 100m final with the universally popular Bolt and all, when the publicity for a home OG had rightly been pretty relentless for at least a year. And then you mentioned Farah who was a fave to win.Please spare me the super Saturday stuff which was and will be a likely once in a hundred years. You guys have an inbuilt contrariness which i find inexplicable, especially when you are trying to prove that Athletics is massively popular in the UK. It is not , sadly.
    lets all recall that after the OG in London, there were the usual guff in the media about how beneficial to summer sports in the UK the home Games would be in attracting youngsters; lasted about 5 minutes.Someone here is bound to tell me in the next posts of the increase in Club membership by youngsters; lots more Parkrun afficionados, certainly.

Leave a comment:

• Chafford1
    replied
    The point is that while athletics doesn't have and never has had the universal appeal of football, the public will watch major athletics championships.

Leave a comment:

• marilyn1
    replied
    How many people will watch on their TVs any GB track and field over next week end; it wont be like OG 2012 or WC 2017, posters.Thats for sure. If its 150,000 i'll be impressed.Of course, the figures for the world, mentioned by WA, for the WC in Eugene may sound good, or may be they will be lousy, unless one is a night owl.Most euro fans have to go to work so the time scale will hurt the viewing figures.

Leave a comment:

• marilyn1
    replied
    Originally posted by Chafford1 View Post
    19 million watched the 100m final at the 2012 Olumpics in the UK. The 2017 World Championships attracted 9.9 million on the BBC for Bolt's and Farah's races.
    Ten years ago and the OG in our capital city and these figues of viewing that are banded around you do not have to accept accept.How can you compare our OG 2012 100m final with the universally popular Bolt and all, when the publicity for a home OG had rightly been pretty relentless for at least a year. And then you mentioned Farah who was a fave to win.Please spare me the super Saturday stuff which was and will be a likely once in a hundred years. You guys have an inbuilt contrariness which i find inexplicable, especially when you are trying to prove that Athletics is massively popular in the UK. It is not , sadly.

Leave a comment:

• Chafford1
    replied
    19 million watched the 100m final at the 2012 Olumpics in the UK. The 2017 World Championships attracted 9.9 million on the BBC for Bolt's and Farah's races.

Leave a comment:

• marilyn1
    replied
    The BBC main channels are hanging on by their finger nails to cover Athletics , with ,hopefully, globals being the exception...for now. Wont stop those .... who run BBC sport from covering Tennis with 8 to 10 hours a day at Wimbledon for fans. There is little or no interest in Athletics across the fans of sports here, now. Sad !
    The Beeb constantly bleating about their wish to attract younger viewers. When OG games were on last year, I spoke to family,friends and neighbours. Not much interest including the
    youngsters who had no interest in track, or swimming, or a host of great sports. Give them Footy, all they seem to want.😐

Leave a comment:

• MysteryBrick
    commented on 's reply
    100% agreed.

• Ladyloz
    replied
    Originally posted by PotterHoppo96 View Post
    When it comes to BBC coverage somehow I prefer red button coverage, means less breaks for studio talk and features (not against them, but live athletics comes first)

For us diehard fans the coverage is fine (although like the Indoor Champs I suspect the fact it's Red Button only means it won't be BBC sport levels of Production).

I don't think it's great though as visibility with more casual fan is less which isn't great for the sport overall

Leave a comment:

• treadwater1
    commented on 's reply
    Glastonbury is on at the same time unfortunately. The world swimming championships has gone the way of iPlayer too

• PotterHoppo96
    replied
    When it comes to BBC coverage somehow I prefer red button coverage, means less breaks for studio talk and features (not against them, but live athletics comes first)

Leave a comment:

• keneastlancs
    replied
    Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post

Yep, it's on the Red Button too - https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p069dk6p/2022/06/24
    So why is no longer on 'live' tv?

Leave a comment:

• RunUnlimited
    commented on 's reply
    trickstat I know, I know. But that doesn't mean I can't be disappointed by the inevitability of it still.
Working...
X