Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loop-guru
    replied
    There are a few I rate as no more than underdogs but sometimes that's the best place to be with no weight of expectation on your shoulders. In the 800M I am going with Alex Botterill. He has only ran 1 race, a BMC event at 800M which he won convincingly in 1.47.30 There could be more to come and I do feel he could join the sub 1.45 brigade at some point.

In the 1500M George Mills strikes me as a real gutsy competitor who has been going round europe chasing the world standard and not getting it but seems to be improving week by week. Finished last year in 7th place but I am expecting better.

Nothing much to back this one up but I really like the look and progression of Josh Lay. Similar to Josh Kerr in the sense he is very picky about when he races and these type of athletes seem to come to the boil at the right time.

Leave a comment:

• marra
    replied
    I do wonder how a lot of athletes have approached this year. We've seen in swimming that some people (notably a bunch of Aussies) have openly decided to favour the CG over the world championships that have been stuck into the calendar at short notice.

I know athletes had more notice, but that is roughly similar to what has happened with the WC, adding it into a summer that already had home CG for the Brits and ECs.

Then you add in the fact that a bunch of athletes out there probably know that even making a WC at all would be a huge achievement for them, whilst they have a realistic chance at a CG or EC podium.

Rright now this year's times would have Brits winning 26 medals at the Euros and 24 at the CG if they panned out (obv they won't do that exactly, but it gives us a rough idea).

Even 4 medals at the Worlds (one from Dasher, Keeley and the 2 4x100m) would represent a realistic haul with anything else being a real bonus.

It might smack of limited ambition but on the other hand, it could be argued as the best way to 1) get a medal and 2) maximise any sponsorship.

In those circumstances, saving yourself for later in the season might well be the smart move to maximise your chances.

Leave a comment:

• Ladyloz
    commented on 's reply
    As things stand Copeland & Stonier don't have the Qualifying time

• Walsh7
    commented on 's reply
    Josh Kerr's Olympic bronze was in 2021. We are now in 2022. If Kerr can't finish in the top 3 at the British Championships, then he doesn't deserve to go to the WC in Eugene.

• marilyn1
    replied
    Originally posted by treadwater1 View Post
    The mens 15 trumps the mens 8 this year for me, it’s good to see Gourley back in shape and in better form than ever, he’s recorded PBs over the 8, 15 and mile. Wightman and Heyward are 2nd and 3rd quickest in the world this year, then there’s Kerr who hasn’t competed much this year, but didn’t compete much last year pre trials, 1 race each season in the May-June period. I’ve talked up Copeland’s fast finish before, don’t forget he was beaten by Stonier at the Emsley Carr mile. So it could be any 3 from 6.
    Every athlete knew what the date of WC was this year and the rules of selection, either auto selection with top two if entry standard met, or discretion based on his or her place at the week end with entry standard or quota. The only commiseration for not making it is the CG or Munich. The 800m does not quite enjoy last years 800m fascination, but no finalist in 800m in Tokyo.

Leave a comment:

• carterhatch
    replied
    If only the type of discussion being had about 800/1500 could be applied to some men's field events, just one would be a start ...

I am a little disappointed about the 400, at the start of the year, Ed Faulds and Charlie Dobson promised much, and what of MHS, any news on his recent DNS? I know one or two of the others such as AHW and Brier offer some hope, but it could have been so exciting ...

Leave a comment:

• MR_ME
    commented on 's reply
    If Kerr wants to be selected then he has to prove himself this weekend. Having only run one average 1500 this outdoor season, the selectors would be foolish to opt for him unless he can show his form by finishing top 3.

• treadwater1
    commented on 's reply
    I’ve no problem with the current system, but I will say that the stronger the competition the more the selectors have to go with the top 3, which they should do this year. It only becomes a headache if Kerr finishes 4th or 5th.

• treadwater1
    replied
    The mens 15 trumps the mens 8 this year for me, it’s good to see Gourley back in shape and in better form than ever, he’s recorded PBs over the 8, 15 and mile. Wightman and Heyward are 2nd and 3rd quickest in the world this year, then there’s Kerr who hasn’t competed much this year, but didn’t compete much last year pre trials, 1 race each season in the May-June period. I’ve talked up Copeland’s fast finish before, don’t forget he was beaten by Stonier at the Emsley Carr mile. So it could be any 3 from 6.

Leave a comment:

• Ladyloz
    commented on 's reply
    Another factor is that a proven medal winner has to count for something. Personally I think these situations are where the selectors earn their money and part of having a discretionary pick is that it's not always as simple as just taking the top 3.

Whatever happens in the 1500m, a top quality athlete will be left at home. But them's the rules I guess.

• MysteryBrick
    commented on 's reply
    So in this case, you could say 'within 2022' as enough, which would eliminate Archie Davis and Thomas Randolph in the 800m if they were to come 3rd, fairly in my view, but include Kerr's Indoor Mile.

• MysteryBrick
    commented on 's reply
    I entirely agree. I think the best mechanism would be that in events where more than 3 athletes have achieved the relevant standard within a sensible previous time (i.e. not just within the window, but also shown form) the top 3 are always taken.

• Sovietvest
    replied
    The selectors could do themselves and the athletes a big favour by announcing now - as a one-off, with no intention of creating a precedent - that for the Men's 8 and 15 they will select the first three who have the W Ch Q time. Otherwise I can see them having to make some very difficult decisions on the discretionary places. Even in the case of the 15, if Kerr comes 4th or 5th (which I can see happening), it would be harsh to not select a Gourley, Wightman or Heyward, who have all made global finals and seem to be in great form.

The discretionary place is a sensible policy when there are standout athletes in an event or when people are coming back from injury or injured on the day of the trials. But Eugene is so close now, if someone is injured or out of form this weekend, they won't have much time to turn things around.

Back to Kerr, I've listened to him and Mackie on podcasts talking about his training and their attitude to competitions. Compared to most other groups, they race lightly, bring speed work into the programme late and as a consequence peak just for the major champs. I think that makes Kerr vulnerable this weekend. Should be exciting!

Leave a comment:

• trickstat
    commented on 's reply
    I suppose there are some who might view Percy beating Okoye in the DT as a surprise. Not me though.

• Occasional Hope
    replied
    Hammer is one of our most competitive events with six women over 68 metres this year. I wold say Anna Purchase is in the driving seat but any of them could win. If only one can push on to WC standard.

Strickler is showing better form than McKinna atm so could pull off an upset.

The men's throws shouldn't have any surprises.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X