X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marilyn1
    replied
    Originally posted by Ladyloz View Post
    No Eilish McColgan. Hopefully is able to shake off the illness she had in Oslo.

Gemili & Mitchell-Blake just running the 200 which makes sense.
    Will be paying close attention to Gemilis performance this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• marra
    replied
    I can see us doing perfectly well in the Euros. We've tended to do so in previous years and, even with Jacobs around now, there just isn't the depth in European sprinting to make it likely that we won't win some medals there.

But I have to agree that I'd be far less sure at the Commonwealths. We have athletes that can compete, for sure, but there's so much more depth on the track in the sprints.

Leave a comment:

• marilyn1
    replied
    Originally posted by JamieSLA View Post
    I had been a little concerned about the men's 100&200 since Tokyo, felt like we've been struggling for some depth AND world class quality. Hughes false starting and Prescod's issues, as well as Gemili's injuries / off form, throw NMB in there - it was looking utterly mediocre.

With the last month, and looking at the entries for both events this weekend, it does look a hell of a lot better - i've jotted down potential finalists, the depth is as good as it's ever been.
    In the 100m - Sam Gordon, Andrew Robertson, Tommy Ramdhan, Toby Makoyawo, Jona Efloko, Oliver Bromby, Harry AA, Miguel Francis and Adam Thomas could all struggle to even make the final.
    In the 200m - Toby Harries, Jona Efloko, Quianoo, Ramdhan, Makoyawo, Ferguson, Azu.. same situation.

Without checking properly both of these events, if you're running under 10.30 and 20.90 it's going to be very unlikely you're not making a British Championship final. Not the case now.

If we see Prescod with another promising run, a good double from Hughes and a host of solid times following behind, I really think we could see a British/English dominance in the sprints over the Euros & Commonwealths - for both Men and Women (haven't gone into the ladies as that seems to be gaining more and more momentum)

As for the Worlds, there's a lottery medal there for someone to get.
    What's solid times, I wonder?.Brit dominance in the sprints in Euros and.the CG.The OG champ may have some comments and the Jamaicans also. Even a Kenyan

Leave a comment:

• Laps
    commented on 's reply
    What about it? Kerr has established his position as No.1 with times and an Olympic medal.

As said many times I am in favour of Championships which are not trials. Selectors should pick the best team taking all relevant criteria into account.
    Wightman would be on my team, no hesitation.

Ours is a crap system. Top 3 in trials is even worse. It encourages those who can excel in one-off races often run at slow pace. At the Championships they are usually the first to go as making the games is the limit of their ambition/ability.

• JamieSLA
    replied
    I had been a little concerned about the men's 100&200 since Tokyo, felt like we've been struggling for some depth AND world class quality. Hughes false starting and Prescod's issues, as well as Gemili's injuries / off form, throw NMB in there - it was looking utterly mediocre.

With the last month, and looking at the entries for both events this weekend, it does look a hell of a lot better - i've jotted down potential finalists, the depth is as good as it's ever been.
    In the 100m - Sam Gordon, Andrew Robertson, Tommy Ramdhan, Toby Makoyawo, Jona Efloko, Oliver Bromby, Harry AA, Miguel Francis and Adam Thomas could all struggle to even make the final.
    In the 200m - Toby Harries, Jona Efloko, Quianoo, Ramdhan, Makoyawo, Ferguson, Azu.. same situation.

Without checking properly both of these events, if you're running under 10.30 and 20.90 it's going to be very unlikely you're not making a British Championship final. Not the case now.

If we see Prescod with another promising run, a good double from Hughes and a host of solid times following behind, I really think we could see a British/English dominance in the sprints over the Euros & Commonwealths - for both Men and Women (haven't gone into the ladies as that seems to be gaining more and more momentum)

As for the Worlds, there's a lottery medal there for someone to get.

Leave a comment:

• RunUnlimited
    replied
    Originally posted by Ladyloz View Post
    Latest weather forecast. Frustratingly it's 26 degrees and sunny tomorrow. Cooler over the weekend highs of 19-21, 30% chance of rain Friday but much less likely on Saturday & Sunday
    The last few weeks in this country, when it has come up that an important athletics event is on the horizon (like the Birmingham DL, or the U20s Multievents Champs in Bedford), the weather leading up to it has usually be good to great for an athletics event to go ahead... Then, the day before it starts, the weather takes a nose dive and it's cool/rainy/windy/combo of all of those things! Annoying!

However, the forecast is better than it was looking it would be last week, where the top temps were being predicted to be a "balmy" 15/16C, with rain on the Saturday and Sunday. Also, it looks like the wind direction will be a south-south westerly, which means a decent tailwind for the Sportscity Arena. Good for the sprinters in that regard at least, and for any of the distance athletes still perhaps looking for a qualifying standard, these conditions will be easier for them than what is currently in Manchester today.

Leave a comment:

• Ladyloz
    replied
    Latest weather forecast. Frustratingly it's 26 degrees and sunny tomorrow. Cooler over the weekend highs of 19-21, 30% chance of rain Friday but much less likely on Saturday & Sunday

Leave a comment:

• Sovietvest
    commented on 's reply
    What if Wightman is 3rd and Kerr 4th, Laps?

• MR_ME
    commented on 's reply
    If she is planning on the 10000 at the worlds then there isn't much point in her rushing back to do a 5000 at trials after sickness.

• Ladyloz
    replied
    No Eilish McColgan. Hopefully is able to shake off the illness she had in Oslo.

Gemili & Mitchell-Blake just running the 200 which makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• marilyn1
    replied
    Originally posted by Sovietvest View Post
    The selectors could do themselves and the athletes a big favour by announcing now - as a one-off, with no intention of creating a precedent - that for the Men's 8 and 15 they will select the first three who have the W Ch Q time. Otherwise I can see them having to make some very difficult decisions on the discretionary places. Even in the case of the 15, if Kerr comes 4th or 5th (which I can see happening), it would be harsh to not select a Gourley, Wightman or Heyward, who have all made global finals and seem to be in great form.

The discretionary place is a sensible policy when there are standout athletes in an event or when people are coming back from injury or injured on the day of the trials. But Eugene is so close now, if someone is injured or out of form this weekend, they won't have much time to turn things around.

Back to Kerr, I've listened to him and Mackie on podcasts talking about his training and their attitude to competitions. Compared to most other groups, they race lightly, bring speed work into the programme late and as a consequence peak just for the major champs. I think that makes Kerr vulnerable this weekend. Should be exciting!
    Cannot be more ruthless than what's gonna hapappen in Eugene , starting tomorrow. I note quite a few American fans have doubts about the first 3 criteria for selection

Leave a comment:

• Laps
    commented on 's reply
    The whole point of selectors and the discretionary pick is to stop making the mistake of leaving someone like Josh Kerr behind. Assuming the selectors know Kerr's fitness is on the way to peaking at the right time and his health is OK then the rest of the field are running for 1st and 2nd only, and they know it.
    Last edited by Laps; 21-06-22, 17:43.

• MR_ME
    commented on 's reply
    I think most athletics clubs can put a mini bus on for national champs.

• MR_ME
    replied
    The entry lists have all been updated now. KJT only down for the javelin. MHS still in the 400m. Laura Muir the 1500m.

Leave a comment:

• Occasional Hope
    replied
    I hope the travel disruptions don't stop anyone making it there.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X